Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Netherlands Great and cheap pellet in Holland!

Princess Aurora

Cavy Slave
Hey!,

I've got a very nice source of pure pellets specially for guinea pigs in Enschede, Holland. :D

This is the place:

Zaadhandel Kootstra
Wethouder Elhorststraat 86 -88
7543 TE ENSCHEDE
NEDERLAND

Tel.: (0031)53-4315166

We bought our pellets there around a month ago, and the piggies love it. The guy, a very lovely man that knows about guinea pigs care and diet, said is a special pellet for guinea pigs with extra vitamin C. We don't remember well the prize, but I guess my husband paid 2 euros for 2 kilos and a half!.

DSC02260.jpg

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Wow! That's cheap!

What are the ingredients?

Princess Aurora

Cavy Slave
Yeah, quite cheap, isn't it?

I really don't know the ingredients, also somebody else in GL asked me about that but I don't know, I will find out when I go for the next bunch soon and I will let you know, ok?

By now, if you are around the neighbourhood, there you can get some quality pellet that your piggies will love! :D

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that although they're pellets, they can still contain ingredients that are harmful. I still see a lot of corn (or maize) listed in the ingredient of local pellets.

There's a list on GL which you can compare to:
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Cavy Pellet Analysis

It's practically impossible to find a pellet in the Netherlands which isn't alfalfa-based (luzerne). However, because alfalfa is rich in calcium, it can contribute to the formation of bladder stones.

If it's available near you, I recommend Science Selective from Supreme. They're alfalfa-based, but their pellets are specially formulated to prevent bladder stone formation.

I'm lucky enough to have a vet nearby that sells Oxbow Cavy Cusine, which he ships from the UK. It's expensive (30 euro for 4kg) but since one of my guinea pigs is prone to health problems I'd rather stick to Oxbow (timothy-based). If there's any guinea pig likely to develop bladder stones, it's her. The last time she was operated on my vet took a x-ray and saw some bladder sludge formation, so now I'm very cautious about adding anything to her diet which is too high in calcium.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.