Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes?

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. I noticed that my piggy has sorta crustys around his eyes. I know that's a sign of URI, and he also sneezes occasionally (sp?). I recently took him to the vet a couple of days ago and the vet said he was fine, and pigs sometimes and get allergies. But I'm not sure what to think of the crusties. Here's what they look like:

Any thoughts?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Was the vet you took him to a cavvy savvy vet?

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
The second picture looks like the cleaning fluid. But the first pic looks serious. Take him to a new vet and see what they think.

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure it was. When we took my hammy there a couple years ago the lady said she would get the rodent doctor (which was our vet this time too). He gave both my pigs a normal check up and trimmed their nails. When I mentioned he would sneeze occasionally, he asked if he had crusties around his eyes, and I pointed them out. He said "Ehh." and that's all. He mentioned URI but he didn't think my boy had it. But what else do the crusties mean?

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
The vet thought he was fine, but I don't ever see any other pigs with the crusties so I'm a bit worried.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
The only thing crusties could mean is URI. Trust me Peanut has had it before and now he has it again.

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
Thanks, maybe I should hunt out another vet that's good with pigs and take my boy there to see what they think. Good luck with your Peanut, I hope he's okay!

buttons

Cavy Slave
I would definitely get him to a different vet...the vet you mentioned doesn't sound to promising.
A home remedy that is safe and easy for shut or crusted eyes is:

An all-natural camomile herbal tea.
Just make some tea, take the WARM (not hot) tea bag and gentle hold it against the eye.

Camomile herbal tea has a soothing and healing effect but I'd still definitely go to a good vet.

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
Thanks buttons! I'll try to get the tea today, and I'll try to find another cavy vet, thanks everyone for the help!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Crusty eyes can indicate early onset URI especially if no other major signs are present. Sneezing is another indication. Allergies in guinea pigs are more rare.

A new vet is definately in order.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I would definitely get him to a different vet...the vet you mentioned doesn't sound to promising.
A home remedy that is safe and easy for shut or crusted eyes is:

An all-natural camomile herbal tea.
Just make some tea, take the WARM (not hot) tea bag and gentle hold it against the eye.

Camomile herbal tea has a soothing and healing effect but I'd still definitely go to a good vet.

Just wondering if you have any proof that this method works with guinea pigs. If it's a human home remedy and hasn't been proven to work in guinea pigs then it may not have good side effects. Not saying this is true of this particular home remedy but with some it could be very true.

Giving unproven home remedies to guinea pigs in my opinion is like giving poor or in some cases bad advice because you don't know what will happen.

Back to the OP's question.
In this case, I'd use a warm washcloth against the eye to help loosen/remove crusties until you can get into see a cavy savvy vet.

alerz

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs has always had some crust around his eyes which just varies depending on the day/week. A couple months ago, he was sneezing and coughing so I brought him to the vet and they treated him for URI. The coughing and sneezing is gone but he continues to get crusts around his eyes. Is this something that is "normal" for some guinea pigs? He seems healthy otherwise and as I stated, does not cough or sneeze. I'm wondering if this is the same case as AbsLovesSnicks, although my case is definitely not as severe.

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
Okay, I haven't used that remedy yet, I'll try to find another vet. I hope I do. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The only thing crusties could mean is URI.
I wanted to come back to this thread and also address this statement. It is false. Crusty eyes can be an indication of many things, not just a URI. It can happen with eye injuries, it can happen with tear duct problems.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
HI, the bottom pic was quite a bit blurry to view however the top picture resembles what I see occasionally with my Chubbs. Of all my 5 boys, he's the only one that gets small crusty particles, white in color. Pigs by nature excrete a white milky substance that they use to clean themselves with and for eye lubrication. My concern would be if the crust was discolored associated with frequent sneezing and coughing as well as changes in his respirations (breathing irradically or abnormally), how is his behavior?? lethargic, hiding? When in doubt shout...If your vet says he's fine but something is making you second guess yourself then that's your instint talking to you. In that sense I would go to a different vet for a second opinion. If your vet doesn't specialize in exotics, then it would be to you and your pigs benefit to find one who is. Many vets are more accustomed to dogs, cats horses but not experienced with small exotics. As far as how to remove the crust safely is your can try applying a warm moist compress gently against the eye to loosen it or, try rinsing with sterile ophthal saline solution. One of my boys sustained an eye injury from a pig braul. He sustained a corneal abrasion with a cut to the lower lid. I used the solution to gently rinse the debree then applied a prescription eye ointment. The eye was completely healed within a week. Take advantage of you vet visit and ask questions. Good Luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.