Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other 17"x22"x17" cage.. what's it good for?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have two "pet store" sized cages and I want to put them to some use [I am a fosterer]. I know they are way too small for any form of guinea pig, but I am wondering if they are good for any other animals? Hamsters maybe or single rats?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, how big is the spacing. It would have to be pretty small to be hamster safe. I'm not sure about for a single rat, but I think it might be too small but I really have no idea about rat cage sizes, I have heard there is a good cage size calculator somewhere though for rats you may find it by google-ing or something.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I usually keep those types of cages for quarantine, post-surgery, or in case there's an emergency and I need to evac. with everybody.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
You could take the door off (or use it as a ramp) and attach it to you C&C as a hayroom/litter box/kitchen/hidey(if you cover it). I would not use it for anything smaller than a guinea because you would be taking a chance of them getting out or stuck in the bars.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the suggestions.
One of the cages I have has handles so that would be a good evacuation cage. The other one I have is only top-opening, I could use that for QT.
I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 cubic feet per rat so I will keep it in mind as an emergency cage in case we get a whole ton of rats [I work with 2 rescues and a shelter].
While I'd like to have a hay loft or something on my C&C cage, Mine is very oddly shaped [it's a 2x4 with two grids on the side as a litter area, in the shape of an L] and I doubt the pet store cage will fit nicely anywhere.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's basically 1.5-2 cubic feet per rat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.