Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Safe veggies for dwarf hamsters?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know a trustworthy reference as to which veggies are safe/healthy for dwarf hamsters? I've tried to look online, but have found contradictory information. :-( I bought some dandelion greens as a winter treat for the piggies, and wanted to know if I can give a little to the hammy as well. Thanks!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I am not sure what is good for them, but I know that veggies have a lot of water in them and to much will cause diarrhea. You could try small amounts of stuff to see if they will eat it.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Well, I'd like to have some confidence that whatever we offer won't be harmful before seeing if they'll eat it.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Tiny pieces of chopped carrot are ok, also a small cranberry, piece of broccoli, a tiny piece of apple. I would stay away from lettuce, dandelion greens etc as they contain to much water for a hamster. Also only offer the food I have suggested one at a time and just 2-3 times a week. I will reply with more things as I think of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.