Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cats/Kittens Cats

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but i was wondering if anyone has introduced a older cat to kittens. I have done tons of research and i know to keep them apart for a week so my cat can get used to my brothers kittens. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. I would greatly appreciate it.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I just brought a 5 month old cat home to a 14 year old and a 9 year old. It's been about a week and a half, and everyone is doing great! To be honest, I treated it quite a bit like introducing guinea pigs. I let them sniff each other out, there were a few arguments at first, but as long as there weren't any battles and no blood, I let them figure things out.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I did the same as Percy's mom. I just brought home a orphaned 5 week old kitten two week ago. I let him stay in a bedroom for the first day and one night. After that, I let him run free in the house. My other cat, would hiss and spit and run away, after a day or two she tolerated him. Now they are good friends, and they sleep together and play together. I have never seen her play before, she is having so much fun with the new kitten, it is so cute.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
What I found interesting is that when I first brought Vivi home, Guen was hissing and yowling. After I took Vivi to the vet, had her spayed, and brought her home, Guen hasn't hissed since, at least not for no reason. Less estrogen in the house maybe?

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I am not sure PM. When I had two spayed female fosters, my cat would not go near them. If they walked by her, she would hiss and growl, and run away. But this new kitten, she did the same thing only for the first day or two. Now she plays with him, sleeps with him and shares the water bowl. I am not sure if it is because he is male, or because he is a baby.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's just a timing thing. That really makes more sense since Guen was spayed a long time ago.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Well so far i have left my brothers cats in thier own room. Boots doesnt seem to notice them at all. He went to the door and sat there for awhile but then he just walked away. I think i am going to try to introduce them today and see how it goes.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Personally, I've always had problems with kittens and older cats. The kitten always wants to play and the older cat wants none of it, and seems totally perplexed by their behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.