Thread: Are loofah balls safe?

Cavy Slave

Are loofah balls safe?

Hey there everyone. I have seen loofah ball listed on the hay experts website. I was wondering if they are safe to give to my piggies. I'm thinking they could possibly get stuck in the digestive track. Thoughts?

Re: Are loofah balls safe?

I haven't had any problems with the loofah ball I have, it's hard for them to pull apart and is more for tossing around.

My pigs however are really not interested in it - where's the fun in something you can't eat!

Cavy Slave

Newspaper is the best invention in the world. Just today I tore up 2 newspapers into thin strips. I brought out the girls play pen and chucked all of the newspaper into it, they spent ages running around, burrowing and being generally loony. Would have liked Toffee and Buttercup (both sick) to have been more energetic, hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon.

Not only can you tear it up but scrunching them up into balls provide something different.

The best thing though, is that you are recycling.

Cavy Slave

Loofas are actually the fiberous "skeleton" of a member of the squash family. They get softer when left in moisture such as water. I have given my GPs loofa rings on their "kabobs" and they seem to enjoy them.

Cavy Slave

Thank you for your responses. I've decided to give them a try based on the posts. Piggie Claus is going to put one in each of the "nice" piggie's stockings for Pigmas.

Fascinating I NEVER knew loofas were a plant! I thought they were something manufactured or from the sea like a sea sponge... Ya learn something new everyday! I am glad to know that they are safe for the piggies. I hate loofas so next time I get a bath set I'll keep it for the piggies! Thanks!