Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should we really make our own?

socal805

Cavy Slave
Please think about what you are doing....pets are NOT presents......please think about what this will do to the poor animal. Guinea pigs are prey animals and until this little pig gets used to the sounds of your family it will want to run and hide. It may be several months before the poor thing feels comfortable to sleep out in the open. I have heard more complaints on here from people who say "my pig does nothing but hide all day". This is very common behavior for a pig who lives alone without another guinea pig. I know you are trying to do something nice for your son but you have to think about what is best for the animal.
Don't surprise you son with the cage all set up...please don't do this. Have your son go with you to pick out a pair of pigs and then have him help you set up a nice size c&c cage. This way he will see the pig as a responsibility and not a Christmas morning toy.
I will tell them to not be so excited around the piggie at first. BUT kids will be kids and I can only do so much.
This is why you should not make this guinea pig as a part of the Christmas morning present opening....I'm not sure you are getting this pig for the right reasons and I wish you would take some time to really think about, you are coming from the place of a Mom who wants to get their son a wonderful present that he will love, but animals are so much more than that. If I got my daughter every single pet she wanted we would be a zoo!! Just think about it.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Hello. I understand your concern BUT I must say that we have researched and spoken about getting this for my son for YEARS. He expressed wanting a pet guinea pig for the longest time. However, we did not get anything for him as much as we wanted to. The reason was because we ALL wanted to be sure about the decision and make sure that he was responsible enough to have one. I am not one to get them everything they want although I would love to. This is a long time in the making not just a quick decision.
The Christmas thing just came because I know it would be the MOST special thing we could give him. So whether we gave it to him on Christmas or any other day he would be just as excited. So why not make his Christmas extra special. I do not see the harm in that and I can totally control the children. They are all well behaved and listen. He also knows not to scream around them and has read TONS of books for the past two years. He'll read the same book over and over and he can tell me more facts than I would think he knows. He's ready.
Also, my son is eight going on 16. He is an extremely soft natured child. He is very responsible (although I will be doing most of the work for the piggie) He is gentle..kind. As his teacher said in a parent teacher conference " I cannot say ANYTHING bad about your child. He is an example for all the kids in his class. He is the nicest kid I have ever had in all my years". I am very proud and trust him.
And as far as him not seeing it as a responsibility if the cage in done, I know that wont be the case. Like I said, we are not taking this decision lightly at all. We have thought and thought and thought about this one. You can trust me on that.
We will definitely be getting two to avoid the loneliness that would result if we only got one. We will probably get the first one for Christmas while the other is quarantined at my friends place.
So although you are concerned, there is no need to be. We aren't just deciding on this now. We thought about it for years and actually he was ready last year and we didnt do it because we had our beloved cat and didn't want to frighten the little one. Two months ago she passed. She was 15 years old and was the best pet cat. I couldn't think of another pet BUT I think the time is right at this moment in time.
Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I hate harping on you but in your original post you stated that you could not adopt because the rescues wanted you to take more than one pig. Well, you have now decided to get 2 so your problem is solved!

I am adopting a baby boar next week from a foster home that is 75 miles away. There are probably 10 pet stores between here and there but they do not tempt me. My first pig was purchased from a pet store and I adore him but I would never, never do it again. He has had tons of medical problems - URI, mites, bumblefoot, etc. My other boar was a shelter pig and was the picture of health ( I had to rehome him as he never bonded with my original pig ).

The baby I am adopting came from a county shelter in Tulare, CA - his mother and 58 other pigs were seized from a breeder who neglected them. They were in terrible shape. The shelter was able to get fosters for all of the pigs and the babies of the pigs that are/were pregnant but the odds of all of these animals finding forever homes is astronomical. I am so glad that I can take one. When you purchase a pig from a pet store than you are supporting these breeders!

Please, please adopt! I know that there are rescues in your area and think of the wonderful lesson you will be teaching your son in regards to animal welfare.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
My son completely understood about adopting. This is how I know he's ready. He had his heart set on picking one out. But when I explained adopting and such, he understood and said that would be great.
Unfortunately, some that are available are in N.J. and I am unable to get there. I called local shelters with no luck as of yet. Like I said, I am going to keep looking but if nothing comes up, I will have to go to our friend.
I know I tried and that's all that matters. Like I said, the few people we contacted got us excited only to not respond. That was two separate families. I don't know if they changed their mind but they never replied anymore.
We are in L.I. New york. So there aren't too many shelters here that deal with piggies. I called a couple with no luck.
Like I said, I am still looking and searching until I can.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
By the way, I think you are going to be great piggy owners as you have done your research. I just disagree on the pet store issue.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I really needed that. I COMPLETELY understand the store issue. I get it completely and I will try my best until then. We didn't even set plans to get the piggies yet. So until that day, I will keep searching.
But I can tell you that my friend does run a great company and really cares for his animals. I know he is not going to charge me for them. That is how he is and my husband says that he even takes rescues in. Thus the quarantine tank he has. I was REALLY glad to hear that because most places that JUST want to make $$$ would never do that.

But thanks again. I just started feeling awful today like I would be the worst pet owner.

God bless

socal805

Cavy Slave
I think you will be a good pig owner too because you are at least trying to find the right info and do the right thing. I am also the mom of a highly sensitive and gifted kid, she is wonderful with our pets but at the end of the day she's still a kid and that is why I have been basically begging you not to give this as a Christmas morning gift. The excitement of Christmas morning will make any kid forget to be calm!
The other issue that you will find people trying to talk to you about is getting the pig from the pet store. You won't find many people here that will support you if you choose to get the pig from a petstore instead of adopting. Many people get their first pigs at petstores before they know any better, but once you know better it makes no sense to get them from a petstore. It dosen't matter that you are getting the pigs for free and from your friend who owns the petstore. The fact is that they are still coming from a breeder of some sort and your friend is paying the breeder for them. There are some really great threads here...after I read them when I got my first pig at the petstore I was horrified. I have since then gotten 2 more pigs and both of them were adopted. I will never ever again buy any animal from a petstore.
These are some of the threads to read
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...e-breeding-care-housing-disaster-threads.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/19454-so-called-responsible-breeder.html

I really don't want you to think that I am saying you will be a bad owner, the fact that you came here looking for information shows that you mean well and that is more than many others who come here. You have also shown that you are not expecting your kids to care for the pigs on their own and that's wonderful. Many parents get small animals for their kids and then get upset when the kids do not take care of them. I have a feeling that you would not be like that.

If you would like help trying to find rescue pigs in your area then let us know, people here and at guinelynx.com are excellent and finding rescue pigs. If you can wait a few weeks and are willing to really look then I am confident that you will not have to get them from the petstore.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
I JUST got off the phone with a young girl. She sounds like she is in college now. She was totally sweet. I happen to see an ad for a piggie called Max.

She lives in the city and had gotten her piggie from Petco in March. They told her he was a few months old. She said he developed mites that she has since taken cared of by going to the vet.
He seems to be in a small cage. She said is alittle smaller than 2x3. So I told her that I think it is small for him. She was also honest about his eyesight. She seems to think that he does not see well.She says it sometimes takes him a few minutes to find a carrot that is by him. She said the vet said she is being paranoid. Is this unusual though? I mean..she does notice something but she is unsure since she has only owned one.
My dilemma is that I am unfamiliar with the male piggies since I was looking for females. I heard males tend to get something called....now I can't think of what it was called.
Also, he is a lone piggie all his life. I know alot of you are really against a piggie being alone for obvious reasons. BUT she says that he is a REALLY happy piggie. Popcorns and does everything she feels shows that he is happy. Now since he is a male..I think I would have trouble introducing another right? I just don't want to do the wrong thing. Should I just see how it goes and not get two for now?
She invited me to go visit and meet him just to be sure.

As far as the gift thing. I am not concerned about it. My kids are not screamers even on Christmas morning. They are kind of strange. they stare at all the things they wanted so BADLY and soak it all in. Then they just open and enjoy. Like I said, they totally listen to me and are well behaved. Our friends and family tell us they are freaks of nature...kidding around of course.

Thanks for the thread links and thanks in advance for any help.

socal805

Cavy Slave
I was looking for shelters in your area, maybe you can call this one and ask specifically about animals like guinea pigs, ask them if they know of a rescue or shelter that takes them in. I have found that a lot of shelters don't even list guinea pigs but I know that they get them in.

(broken link removed)

and this link lists a ton of shelters
Long Island Animal Shelter - Lost Found Pets Animals Shelters on Long Island NY

I think I would have trouble introducing another right? I just don't want to do the wrong thing. Should I just see how it goes and not get two for now?
She invited me to go visit and meet him just to be sure.

I would go to see him...maybe you can get a sense of his eyesight...my pigs are funny, I will hold a treat right in front of their face and they will look all around for it until they grab it from me. Maybe that is what this little guy is doing. If you get this little boy I would keep him alone for a few weeks or even a month and then look for an older or younger boy to bond him with. You should be fine introducing him to another but you will have to read up on introductions. Even though he may seem happy now, he will be much happier in the end with a friend. And your kids will just get so much more joy watching 2 of them!
I apologize for giving you a hard time about the Christmas thing..it sounds like you have thought it through.
So when are you going to look at the guinea pig??:)

Last edited:

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much. I appreciate your time and help.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
I got what I was talking about in the previous post. It was impaction. When does that typically happen? I know they say older boars..but what is considered older. Three?

thanks for any help.

socal805

Cavy Slave
I wish you were in my area...our shelters are overflowing with pigs right now, we've got babies males and females and they will all be put down if they don't find homes :sad: It seems that this time of year people are getting rid of so many pets..
anyhow I wish you luck, let us know if you get the pig..don't forget that once you get them you must post pigtures and then of course you will want to get all of the cute accessories for pigs!
Have you thought about what bedding you want to use? I recommend fleece! You could coordinate the color of the grids with the fleece and go for a really cute theme. If you get boy pigs you can do a color and theme that your son would enjoy. It is really fun decorating the piggy cage and kids really love it too!
I took today off to finish Christmas shopping so I'd better get a move on it!
Best of Luck!

socal805

Cavy Slave
I've got girls,but here is what I've read on impactation...I'm looking into fostering a couple of boys and I was worried about it too but people witl males seem to think it's not as bad as it sounds
Guinea Lynx :: Impaction

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
I found this link and it scares me. I think I will need the vets help for this one.

Guinea Lynx :: Impaction

It may be the same link you gave me. I will check.

But yes, I am definitely doing fleece on most of the cage except for the feeding area. I will have a separate bin for that. Not sure if I will be using the carefresh there..but it seems to be a popular choice.

good luck with your shopping.

And please everyone keep putting your two cents here. I love receiving any and all information. If I do adopt this male, I will definitely get a bigger cage. I am just worried since he was used to a smaller cage with a top all his life. I am scared I will stress him if I change this.

Kerry

Cavy Slave
Yes a change in cage will likely stress him out but he'll get used to it and be much happier for it!

I'm glad you're also planning on getting 2. I haven't moved my 2 pigs in together yet but I've seen a huge change in their behaviour since moving their cages together. My young pig, Molly, is much more adventurous and friendly and my older pig, Cookie, has been zooming and popcorning for the first time since we got her! I even do side by side floor time and Molly doesn't hide in her hidey the whole time anymore! I can only imagine that it'll get even better once they're actually in the same space! Just a warning though, they're addictive! I've seen a few that I'd have home by now if DH didn't say NO MORE! LoL

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Haha. I am sure I will want 100 BUT I have to be a responsible parent :eek:)

I know this is a gift for my son, but it will really be a gift to our whole family.

Ok, so if I am getting two..is there a way to divide the cage temporarily? I definitely do not have the room for two big cages and it will defeat the whole purpose of getting two if I have to always keep them apart. This male I found is not a definite..I am getting alittle nervous about the male health problems I read about. I am hoping it sounds worse than it really is.
I am going to have to go read about how to introduce them since I am unfamiliar with it. I am also wondering if I am making this harder on myself by not looking for two that are already bonded.

thanks for the replies. I LOVE getting them!

Kerry

Cavy Slave
Well mine are currently in pet store cages unfortunately. After the holidays we're getting to work on building a 2x6 for them. I think they'll get along fine but if not I'll be dividing the cage into 2 2x3s which is fine for one pig each. I'm worried about Cookie more than Molly as Cookie's an adult who's never been with another pig. Molly was likely taken from her Mom when we got her so it's only been 4mths since she's been with piggies, plus she's a baby and not so set in her ways, so to speak! LoL

It probably would be easier to just get a bonded pair to begin with. That way you won't have to worry about quarentine or intros or anything.

Oh and that impaction thing freaks me out too! LoL Makes me glad I got females!

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Thanks much. Don't worry about giving me a hard time about Christmas. I completely understand what you are saying and I know what most would picture. But it won't be like that. We will be SO careful as to not frighten the piggie.
I am not sure when I will meet him. It has to be VERY soon because she needs to travel back home for the holidays. So she needs someone to take him soon.
This is his link. Isn't he cute?

I think when I go see him that it will be to say no or to agree and take him. I cannot see why I would say no. She says sometimes it takes her 5 tries to get him out because he runs away. But that's normal and instinct right?

I am so happy it's looking like an adoption instead.

firstguineapig8

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am nervous about the impaction thing because it sounds as though once they get this then you need to clean it daily. Poor piggies who get that.

Well I will make the cage big enough for two. I'll get the grids from target and take it from there. Hopefully I'll be able to find two females. But my heart really goes out to this lonely piggie in NYC.

socal805

Cavy Slave
She says sometimes it takes her 5 tries to get him out because he runs away. But that's normal and instinct right?

Oh yes, that is totally normal and they can be little stinkers when it comes to running from you! It's like a game to them!
For some reason I can't see the link you posted?
Also take a look at this site, I believe it is put together by some women at guinealynx. If I were you I would go sign up at guinealynx so you can post, there is a section on adoptables and you might be able to post a message there saying where you are and what type of pigs you are looking for.
Adopt a Guinea Pig in PA/NJ/NY/WV: NY-Tompkins County SPCA-EIGHT frickin' pigs!

I wouldn't worry about introductions if you get him, just wait a month and look for another male and then we will talk you through the intros. It can be tricky, when I introduced my 3rd female to my bonded 2, I thought they were going to kill each other! Now they all happily live together as my little herd.
Don't worry, in a couple of months you will be a pro who is giving advice to other new pig owners!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.