Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

names

gambitsgurl

Cavy Slave
I am not sure if this really warrants a whole thread devoted to it, but here goes any ways.
My piggy's playmate's owner was wondering, and I was wondering as well, if cavy's respond to their names or if they even recognize them?
I have never really heard anyone mention this, and in my limited experience with these types of animals I always assumed they did not (recognize their names).
If anybody has any information on this subject that would be great.

Also how long does it take for your cavy to warm up to you and realize that you are not a threat? I have not really had him too long, but it just seems to be taking him awhile to get used to me.
Thanks.

My pig Salem comes when hes calle, for the most part anyway. I only call him if I want to give him a treat. He relised that everytime he heard his name he got veggies. All of my pigs recognize my voice. They start screaming at me when I walk into my room and say hi to them. They want me to bring them their goodies right away.

Tony would just come running when he heard his name, and then stand up with his two front feet holding on the little squares of the cage...he'd stick his belly to the door and i would scratch it while i unlatched the door and got his towel out (he loved being held in a towel...he'd like, burrow in it in my arms or on my lap...) silly, but he always came when i said his name. and when my mom said his name he would sit patiently by the door, because she was afraid if he fidgeted too much he would fall out of her arms while she picked him up (she had never held a small animal until I got tony), it's like he knew she wanted him to sit still...hehehe.

oh, I almost forgot. Tony actually never went through a 'shy' period after i got him. he just kind of feel in line with the family, like he had been there the whole time. I would guess that it shouldn't take very long at all for the little pig to get comfortable.

well my piggie that i adopted ive had for like 6 months now hes still really nervous and i spend ALOT of time around him or with him. i think the time it take for the pig to get used to you depends on the piggie themself and how they have been treated. as for names i thnk that its more of the tone your using that the piggies understand not the words

It's more like the person saying the name and the tone than the words. For example, my mom (who has a similar voice to mine) tried saying my cavies' names just as I do, tone and all. They did not respond. As soon as I said their names, they went nuts!

As for the time it takes to warm up, every cavy is different, has had a different background, etc. You'll just have to wait and see what happens.

i also think that piggies go bye smell ALOT they can deffinatly tell the diffrence that way

it mostly matters on the piggie too. two of my piggies come by their name, but the t hird pig just sits there. unless i have food, then she will be the first to greet me at the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.