Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggies are fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's great, Tasha! I hope you find somewhere soon. :)

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I was gone for, what, three hours, and this thread has gotten 45 new posts! whoa!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
tashagurl said:
And my mom wants me to work at Petco.
Actually, I don't think that could be too bad of an idea. Oh gosh, before everyone starts attacking me, here's why I think this:
Tashagurl can take care of the animals, and teach her manager, employees, and customers about guinea pigs, or what else she knows about. You could sex the guinea pigs so that no customer gets a pregnant one(I don't know if this could work, they could get pregnant before put into the selling "glorified litter box"). If you really wanted people to take care of their animals, you could make a small pamphlet of some sort about guinea pigs to ensure their health and such, and recommend Cavycages.com. This is just a suggestion, I think it would do good being able to help the animals. You could probably even convince your manager to give you an extra 10-20 bucks for veggies for the guineas, chinchillas, ect. Like you could do a SMALL bit of research on every animal and see what kind of food they need. The basics. You could also convince your manager to only put 1-2 guinea pigs in each "litter box" and make sure they are correctly sexed, and have the right bedding(aspen or carefresh would be best). A water bottle every 1-2 pigs, a food bowl, correct pellets, hidey house,ect. It wouldn't be too hard to get that all set up, but might be a toughie to convince your manager. Unless he/she is a softie.
OK, I know you aren't working there yet, but if you decide to there are some of my opinons. Please don't attack me anyone! I know some people from forums who work in prestores and have done this and worked!

Access

Cavy Slave
No it's a good point, she can also help the owners to realise that pigs are not that profitable -- especially if you care enough to take good care of the pigs. The real profit is in the supplies. It's simply a matter of volume, that's why some stores don't even sell pets (pet supply stores).

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Yes, exactly. Thanks for adding that, I missed that. Thanks! :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I agree, you can do some good by giving advice and caring for animals, but there is always a conflict of interest and people there that don't care. You can't tell people not to buy the cages or salt licks because that's what they make money off of.

You'll have to see and put up with a lot regarding the pet mills and sick animals that the management won't let you take to the vet.

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same thing Ruby. The Petco by us seems to do a pretty good job with their pigs. They give them veggies occasionaly and hay too. Except for the time I asked to look at one of their pig(just to look) and they couldent tell me if it was a boy or a girl. It was a boy and he was adorable and healthy. I wish I could have taken him home,but...sigh...I couldent.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I think it would be cooler if you opened up a rescue or shelter. I think everyone already addressed your other comments. No, buying a pig is not the same as adopting one from a shelter.

If you don't want the pet mill piggies to die, then maybe you should not support the practice. Meanwhile shelter pigs die.

The extinction thing is a lame excuse by breeders. Really, is that going to happen soon? Shelters kill hundreds of animals a day, rescues are overflowing.

If you wanted every single cat to have a home, everyone would have to have 40. Why doesn't everyone adopt 25 dogs, 40 cats, 15 rabbits and a dozen guinea pigs? Then there would not be any homeless animals. Everyone would have enough, and they wouldn't need anymore.

FYI do you understand pet overpopulation? the concept of supply and demand?

Do you understand that if you buy a pig, they will breed several more to take its place? If they can't find homes for them and have to euthanize them, then maybe they should not be breeding. Shelters and rescues can't find homes either and they turn away a lot of animals because there is no space.

Guinea pig guy said:
I think it would be kind of cool to start your own pet shop business,if you really love pets and take real good care of them and would like other people to love them as much as you do.Guys would you really not save the life of a piggy at a pet shop just because you would have to pay the store owner money,I mean isn't that like leaving a piggy at a shelter and letting it be put to sleep,none of us would want any piggy to be put to sleep or die now would we,no.Now about the subject of breeding.Why are you guys against it so much,I mean you'd think you would be glad some people breed them.The way you guys make it seem it's like once all the piggies are rescued from the shelters they'll be no more to get because they'll be extinct.That's how much it seems like you guys are against it.Wouldn't you guys think it would be ok to breed if the owner of the pigs were to keep the babies or find a real good home for them? Why are you guys against it so much.I just would like an answer to it so please don't make it a big argument like the last discussion.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Buying from petstores is not adopting plain and simple, 1) Are you going to rescue, taking in a pigg, or going to a shelter? NO! 2)you are paying the petstore for an animal and the petstore in return pays the breeder (they might pay the breeder as soon as they get the piggs not sure). Either way the breeder is still getting paid to breed.
It is kind of like a cycle.
you buy the pigg-->money goes to petstore-->petstore pays breeder for piggs
Tell me where in this cycle^ is the money going? I highly doubt that any of the money is being used to help stop the over population of animals.
How are you adopting when you just payed a breeder, who will then go and breed more piggs? So therfore you have a paid a breeder to breed more piggies. And even if the petstore you bought your pigg from breeds it own piggs, doesn't that make the petstore a breeder too? Isn't a breeder someone who intentionally has an animal so they can reproduce?
That is not adopting, that is contributing to the over population of animals.

I am not trying to rag on any one who bought their piggs from petstores before they were educated. But there is no excuse for some one who knows they should adopt but yet chooses to buy.
Even if there is not a Guinea Pig rescue near you, there will be people on petfinder in the classifieds with guinea pigs for adoption, and once in a while a dog and cat shelter will have small animals for adoption. You just need to wait, and search. If you really really want to adopt bad enough some how it will work out.

Last edited:

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Oh just one other thing, when you go to the petstore to 'adopt' your piggy do they make you sign an adoption application, screen your application, accept your application (or deny), and then make you sign an adoption contract?
NO. obviously the petstores don't do that.
Are the petstores making sure the piggies end up in good loving homes where they won't be dumped later in their life?
Part of adopting is the adoption process (applications, screening, contracts etc).
If petstores used the adoption process (to make sure the animals they sell end up in good homes for life), I bet a lot of piggies wouldn't be dumped. It would not eliminate all piggies that are dumped but I bet it would help.

And I know there are plenty of people who buy from petstores and are great owners, but a lot of people who buy from petstores aren't good owners.

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The breeder is risking the life of his sow. If they want more guinea pigs, they can adopt. If they are going to give them away, then they are taking homes away from already existing guinea pigs.

fleur

Cavy Slave
Someone has a different view on things and you all attack them by being really nasty .I have decided that I dont really like this site any more or most of the people on it.And if asked by some one about sites on the net for guinea pigs.I sure as hell wont be telling anybody about this one. Some people on here need to learn respect for other peopls opnions

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
OK fleur- you are very rude, and not saying anyone else hasn't been a bit out of line but that goes a bit too far. I don't really have a correct opinon- no one else does either... I know everyone will be on me about that, oh well. I don't think you needed to react like that and I respect your opinion but that was out of line.

fleur

Cavy Slave
I got mine from a pet store and I would do it again and again.I admit it whats going to be said to me now.One other time I said I feed my pig cabbage sometimes and I was delt to over that as well .When it turned out that I can feed him cabbage but in small amounts.I have had some questions but I dare not ask in case, as I have been told before that I am stupid !!

fleur

Cavy Slave
I think I will just stick to the australia ,New Zealand site .But thanks to those who have been nice.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Well, I wish you the best as you are leaving. I do not think you are a bad person for buying a guinea pig from a pet store, but this is my opinion. And it's not correct, but I really don't see why people are going to raid people over this. Me, I've never even got a pet from a petstore, but if it is in HORRIBLE conditions(sick, ect) I will definately ask the manager if I can take it off his hands. That's my opinion.
Once again, good bye fleur. Sorry you didn't find it pleasant here.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Fleur, I'm sorry that you feel the need to leave. If you have questions, nobody should be calling you stupid for asking them! Please do feel free to stay, or at least post questions if you need some answers. If you want, you can try going to guinealynx--they've got some pretty decent info over there. =) Best wishes!

As for buying at a pet store, please take a few minutes to read this link, thanks! www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm I hope you find it informative.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Bye fleur. Guinea lynx is just like this site, so I don't recommend you going to that forum.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You mean anti breeder and pro rescue? Yes, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.