Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What's in your pet store animal?

psmadden

Cavy Slave
I will say, there is a pet store near me who house both male and female pigs together, and they have like 15 of them in a huge tub looking thing and they should not be allowed to sell the animals. Places like petsmart are only allowed same sex animals to aviod in store breeding or accidental breeding. As far as mites, lice and URI, those animals must show up with those ailments prior to coming into the stores. It is sad that so many people really dont care enough when they work in petstores and its those people who give pet stores a bad reputation. If more pet store owners cared, maybe the animals would not be so sick ect.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Not at all. You keep missing the point.

It doesn't matter how nice the employees or owners may be. I'm sure many are nice. The breeders and pet millers may be "nice" as well. The store may be clean and the animals "may" appear healthy.

They are still making money by selling and breeding animals in poor conditions. Do you know about puppy mills? Google it. Same industry.

Meanwhile the same animals are getting killed in shelters because they are unwanted, dumped in parks, etc. If the owners and employees were really "nice" , they wouldn't be supporting a disgusting trade.

If the animals had such ailments before they get to the store (whether or not they are exposed to it in the store), then why is the pet store supporting a pet mill/ breeder with sick animals?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
The difference is that the rescued pigs are treated before you get them. They're treated for mites and lice, they're put on pregnancy watch, they go to the vet, and if they have any chronic conditions, you know up front.

Alice

Cavy Slave
I was at a pet store last week and before they sell the piggies they check them and the first ones ear was bleeding, the second the lady got out had a lump and the third had mites so i'm guessing they all probabally had mites or something else wrong with them.

I do own a piggy from a pet store and nothing appears to be wrong with him and i've had him for nearly two years but if I get any more piggies I would go to a rescue.

xxlizzybordenxx

Cavy Slave
I have to be honest here i bought my guinea pig from a pet store. My family and I owned guinea pigs when i was a child and they were givin to me by other families who had guinea pigs. Those pigs were very healthy and i had no problems. When i bought the newest edition to my family i was un-informed about the mistreatment of small animals due to the breeding conditions. I was aware about the puppy mills and such but when i saw the pigs in the petstore they looked healthy so i bought one. (stupid me!)

It has been over a year since i had her and i had no problems until about a week ago. She has mites and i feel terrible about it! i took her to the vet yesterday and had her treated.

Thanks to this forum i feel so much more informed about cavies and how to make them happy, and also how many cavies out there need good homes.

I will never purchase a guinea pig again from a pet store.

And in response to the post above this, of course some guinea pig rescues have health issues but so do the pigs in pet stores. By buying the ones in pet stores we are supporting a greater evil. By rescuing ones from a shelter we are helping pigs that one day could be euthanized.

When my pig is all better and mite free i will be adopting her a friend!

Thank u all for all the information it has made for a much happier pig and a much more aware owner :)

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
I am new here, and YES, I bought my two piggies from pet stores. They both looked very healthy, and still are. I didn't do any research and did not find this site until after I got Henrietta and Gizmo.

Since then, I have rescued three piggies (and found this site). I lost Hamilton. He was an older male (about 5 or 6 according to the previous owner) and he suffered from impaction. When I got him, I noticed that his behind was funny, and so were bowel movements. I did everything I could but the vet said that there wasn't much I could do.

So, I did not have them together. I kept "Hammy" by himself in a play pen during the day and his cage at night. He was so sweet. He loved to be held and petted. He passed away in my arms about a week after I got him. We all miss him a lot. But I still have the other two girls that I rescued, and I will not be buying any from stores again now that I know more about them.

I got lucky that my "pet store babies" were healthy, but I also feel bad about the babies out there that the owners are not taking proper care of them and they wind up like my Hamilton did. I have notified my local Humane Society that if they get anyone with Guinea Pigs to call me. I am going to start up a rescue here in my area.

I do have a lot to learn, but I know that this is the place to be.

yo FOO xD

Cavy Slave
This is just another reason to adopt instead of shop. I have ten rescued Piggies that haven't had any sicknesses except for my tri-color Abysinnian, Roxy, who has brain damage from abuse. :weepy:

Please go rescue a Piggy in need! :)

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
I totally 100% support rescue. However, if you live in a small remote town such as I do,there is no other option. Our pet store sells maybe 10 guinea pigs a year at most. Most of which go to kids in 4-H. They do not get them from mills. They are bred only for people who ask for a guinea pig. They are given a handout about guinea pigs before they take home a pig. Not all pet stores are bad. It just depends on your situation. Not all breeders are bad either. I got my first bird there. He is the best pet I have ever owned. The breeder still stays in contact with me,and still to this day gives me advice. That is just my opinion. I dont think people should speak so badly if they havent reviewed EVERYONES situations.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
You don't 100% support rescues if you bought a bird and guinea pig from a store where there are animals who are purposely breed for profit.

If you have a petstore near you then you have homeless guinea pigs.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I totally 100% support rescue. However, if you live in a small remote town such as I do,there is no other option. Our pet store sells maybe 10 guinea pigs a year at most. Most of which go to kids in 4-H. They do not get them from mills. They are bred only for people who ask for a guinea pig. They are given a handout about guinea pigs before they take home a pig. Not all pet stores are bad. It just depends on your situation. Not all breeders are bad either. I got my first bird there. He is the best pet I have ever owned. The breeder still stays in contact with me,and still to this day gives me advice. That is just my opinion. I dont think people should speak so badly if they havent reviewed EVERYONES situations.

I don't want to be rude, but I'll be blunt. People make this argument all the time. The last time it was made, I found 3 rescues and dozens of Craigslist ads within an hour of the person.

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
Im not going to argue with it.I know my situation and I thought I would post my thoughts. Im not willing to drive an hour either. Its kinda hard when I dont have a car. And I didnt get my bird from a driver.I got it from a breeder. I checked craigslist.I would have to drive 2 hours. Thats not an option.

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
Sorry,Im not sure how to edit.I accidentally put I didnt get my bird from a driver.I mean I didnt get my bird from a pet store.:D I had driving on the brain.

meghannmariexx

Cavy Slave
I bought mine from a petstore before I knew about all these horrible things. I wish we could stop Puppy mills and other animal mills, because its just bad. I just want to take all of the animals in the pet store and get them all fixed, so I can rescue them, but then they just get more and more in.

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
Not all pet stores are like that.Some dont get theirs from mills. Some dont immediately replace them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If this is true:
Im not willing to drive an hour either ... I would have to drive 2 hours. Thats not an option.

Then this is NOT true:
I totally 100% support rescue.

You can't support rescue at all if you are willing to and have purchased animals from a pet store. If you aren't willing to travel to acquire rescues, but would rather go to the pet store that's convenient, you are not supporting rescue at all, much less 100%.

However, if you live in a small remote town such as I do,there is no other option.
There are always other options if you are willing to seek them out.

Most of which go to kids in 4-H. They do not get them from mills.
4-H supports breeding. It's a cycle.

They are bred only for people who ask for a guinea pig.
Are you really saying that someone comes in to this pet store of yours and asks for a guinea pig, and then someone breeds two pigs and creates an entire litter? What happens to the other pigs that weren't "asked" for? Please.

They are given a handout about guinea pigs before they take home a pig.
With what information, exactly?

Not all pet stores are bad. It just depends on your situation.
If they sell animals for profit, or sell them to promote the sales of other, higher profit items, they are bad.

Not all breeders are bad either. I got my first bird there. He is the best pet I have ever owned. The breeder still stays in contact with me,and still to this day gives me advice. That is just my opinion. I dont think people should speak so badly if they havent reviewed EVERYONES situations.
Breeders are creating lives to sell for money. Meanwhile, countless others (many of which came from those very breeders) die or face the possibility of death because they aren't wanted. There is certainly nothing GOOD about that.

Not all pet stores are like that.Some dont get theirs from mills. Some dont immediately replace them.
But one way or another, they ALL get them from breeders and that is the problem. And that they don't "immediately" replace them makes them no better. They still replace them, and that means they still view and treat them as merchandise and not as the sentient beings that they are.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I see how Pet Stores are bad and whatever. And I understand that this is a site that is against pet stores and breeders. And don't get me wrong, I believe that the word about adopting from animal rescues and other places like that should be told to other people, but the first time I asked a question on this site I put the word "buy" in my post and tons of people jumped on me. Instead of letting one person tell me and then letting me make my decision for myself NO ONE paid any attention to my question and instead decided to turn my thread into an adoption vs. pet store one. Honestly, one person telling me about how bad petstores were would have been fine. But I think that when everyone gangs up on you like that it puts people off of this site instead of inviting them in and helping them to stop making the same mistakes or any mistakes.

Some people don't have the ability to drive 2+ hours away from their home and that is not their fault. I know that doesn't mean that they should buy a pet where it's convenient for THEM but if they already did it then just tell them once and move on. 10+ people repeating the same information in at times rude ways is NOT convincing and it puts people off. The only reason I stayed on this site was because I was determined to make things better for my pets, but others that are more sensitive may not. So although this information IS very important I think we should concentrate on how we tell people so that they do not get put off and continue to make other mistakes that perhaps some small answers to questions could have fixed.

Some of this information here is horrible and may be hard to read already without people scolding you on top of it. We want people to stay around and guide them to the important information and warnings about things instead chastising them over and over.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Next question I have is are ALL rescue pigs 100% healthy when they are rescued? Is there something Im missing? when i look on petfinder at the rescues there are many pigs with health issues, where did those issues come from then? I dont want to cause a debate, I only am just wondering the real difference

Not all rescue pigs are 100% healthy in fact one of my pigs was not in good condition at all when I got him. BUT rescue pigs are normally healthy more than petstore pigs at least. And, you are taking in a pig in need of a home.

katiewilson

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I see how Pet Stores are bad and whatever. And I understand that this is a site that is against pet stores and breeders. And don't get me wrong, I believe that the word about adopting from animal rescues and other places like that should be told to other people, but the first time I asked a question on this site I put the word "buy" in my post and tons of people jumped on me. Instead of letting one person tell me and then letting me make my decision for myself NO ONE paid any attention to my question and instead decided to turn my thread into an adoption vs. pet store one. Honestly, one person telling me about how bad petstores were would have been fine. But I think that when everyone gangs up on you like that it puts people off of this site instead of inviting them in and helping them to stop making the same mistakes or any mistakes.

Some people don't have the ability to drive 2+ hours away from their home and that is not their fault. I know that doesn't mean that they should buy a pet where it's convenient for THEM but if they already did it then just tell them once and move on. 10+ people repeating the same information in at times rude ways is NOT convincing and it puts people off. The only reason I stayed on this site was because I was determined to make things better for my pets, but others that are more sensitive may not. So although this information IS very important I think we should concentrate on how we tell people so that they do not get put off and continue to make other mistakes that perhaps some small answers to questions could have fixed.

Some of this information here is horrible and may be hard to read already without people scolding you on top of it. We want people to stay around and guide them to the important information and warnings about things instead chastising them over and over.

Saw the thread in question. No one scolded nor chastised you, I actually thought everyone was pretty nice - even if they didn't agree with you. Sure, it isn't totally necessary for more than one person to get a point across, but to be fair, you proceeded to engage in an argument as to why buying from a pet store is acceptable despite knowing about homeless pets dying because of the overpopulation problem. Can you really blame a member of a pro-adoption, anti-buying site for joining in the debate?

I also noticed that people helped answer your question, despite you suggesting that they did not. For some reason, when people disagree on the internet, they tend to think that people are "jumping on" or "yelling at" them, when that's often not the case at all. As has been said a hundred times on this site alone, it's mostly impossible to determine tone in a person's written/typed response. That isn't to suggest that a random member hasn't crossed a line or been too rude, but that's life...we gotta let the buttheads play, too. ;) All in all, just try not to take what people say too personally. There's a LOT of valueable info to be gained here.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Some people are really defensive or can't tell a person's faux tone over the internet.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Oh, spare us the drama. The "tons" of people who "jumped" on you in the thread about which you complain were exactly 6 people who told you not to buy, and you ignored us, and went and bought yourself two pet store pigs you can't feed properly even today. Which kind of belies "one person telling me about how bad petstores were would have been fine," because six people telling you that you had other options didn't do the trick, and I haven't seen you say yet that you made a mistake doing it as you did.

The only reason I stayed on this site was because I was determined to make things better for my pets, but others that are more sensitive may not.
You didn't HAVE pets to make things better for at the time you decided to ignore our advice and do whatever you felt like doing.

Some people don't have the ability to drive 2+ hours away from their home and that is not their fault. I know that doesn't mean that they should buy a pet where it's convenient for THEM but if they already did it then just tell them once and move on.
Of course, this wasn't the case for you - you hadn't gotten your pigs at the time you posted. Did you forget that? And what does "fault" have to do with it? If you can't get guinea pigs without purchasing them at pet stores and furthering the cycle of breeding, you always have the option of not getting guinea pigs - which makes even more sense if you can't afford to feed them.

We want people to stay around and guide them to the important information and warnings about things instead chastising them over and over.
Yes, when it's too late to prevent them from making poor decisions, which, again, wasn't the case for you.

As for ignoring your question, which was about where to find coroplast in your area, I didn't answer because I don't live in your area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.