Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Inside Petco...

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
I am in no way asking for support for my job, i have said countless times i wish to leave as soon as i can.

As for being hypocritical, no business, pet store or not, cant just change from one thing to something else over night. Money is going to good places, which is a step forward.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
I am in no way asking for support for my job, i have said countless times i wish to leave as soon as i can.

As for being hypocritical, no business, pet store or not, cant just change from one thing to something else over night. Money is going to good places, which is a step forward.

I understand how you feel about your job. I know it is easier said then done. And while leaving might make you feel better as you won;t be supporting the pet industry by working there anymore. Unfortunately good feelings and morals donlt pay the bills if you know what I mean! lol

I also agree with you on how things can;t change over night. I think people need to realize that while yes Adoption events are but tiny steps towards the bigger goal they still do some good. And we can;t expect things to change over night. Big changes rarely happen that fast.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
As for daftscotslass, I set up a charity fund raising event in the store not that long ago. We raised £210 for the "support adoption" charity. This charity involves all the local rescue centres, in particular Janes Rabbit Rescue close to our store. The money goes to these local rescues, not back to the company. So like i said they are moving in the right direction.

How do they designate local rescues? I spoke to the manager of one local store shortly after the "support adoption" scheme began. I gave her details of my local rescue after she asked for them and the rescue was not contacted. I know of no other local rescues that have received funds from them, either. 100% of the money goes to local rescues? Why can't the management of my local store tell me where the money goes yet yours can?

Susan has a great point - it's dishing out the animals to anyone old enough to buy them at one end of the store with a "recycle-a-rabbit-or-a-rodent-if-you-get-bored-of-it" at the other end. It's a bit like visiting a hospital that breaks your leg at one end and tries to fix it with a band-aid at the other.

ortal

Cavy Slave
Do you think she is lieing to us about where the money goes? I don't understand, it seems like nothing Wheeky can say will be good enough. I hate pet stores too but she is TRYING to make a change in the way that she can. She cannot overnight shut down the industry.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Do you think she is lieing to us about where the money goes? I don't understand, it seems like nothing Wheeky can say will be good enough. I hate pet stores too but she is TRYING to make a change in the way that she can. She cannot overnight shut down the industry.

For goodness sake did I say she was lying? No. I want to know why one store knows where the money the adoptions bring in goes and none of my local ones do. Why is there no standard? Why can't they tell me if 100% of the money goes to charity or if "administration costs" (i.e. profit) are deducted? Why do MY local rescues not see a penny?

It's sad that you don't think one person can make a difference by not supporting what pet stores stand for. If each of us as one person stand together that makes a whole lot of people. A whole lot of people together makes change.

A pity you can't come and see the 6 stores within an hour of me, ortal. I'm sure you'd change your tune then about how these changes "benefit" the animals. Buy a pig for £17. Get fed up with it. Return it. Someone buys it for £5 (recommended minimum donation for one of their adoptables) to feed their snake for a couple of weeks. Yep. "support adoption" really is a step forward for guinea pigs.

ortal

Cavy Slave
I dont think that stores are good. Im not advocating. I know the horrors of petco, petsmart, and many more mom/pop shops.

I am just saying, that she is TRYING. What do you propose that these three do. Quit? What will that accomplish? for a couple of days/weeks they will be short staffed untill some ignorant person like the ones at the pet store by me come and replace thm.

I never once said that one person cannot make a difference, that is not what I intended. I just said that she personally cannot shut down petco/etc. Does she shop there? no. Does she get her pets there? No. so why not commend her for at least TRYING to make it better. She set up something with the intention of helping, and because you had a bad experience you are comparing what she did and not seeing the potential positives.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I hate pet stores too but she is TRYING to make a change in the way that she can.

I suppose it comes down to what you hate ... do you hate the way animals are treated in the pet store or do you have the whole idea of having animals sold as merchandise in pet stores?

If you're opposed to the idea of animals being sold as merchandise, then I don't see how you can think a pet store employee, who is actively engaged in selling those animals, is helping the situation just by giving the animals adequate care and by giving out info (without any way to see if info is being utilized).

ortal

Cavy Slave
I hate the way animals are treated around the world in general. Pet stores, etc. Thats the reason I became a vegetarian and am working towards being a vegan.

I also dont like the idea of animals being sold. I think she is making the best of her situation. I don't see why that is so hard to understand, but I guess I am just not expressing myself correctly. It is hard to express what you really feel sometimes through text.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
People keep saying that nothing will change overnight? Why?

What is it that you are then doing yourself to bring about the end of selling live beings in shops?

ortal

Cavy Slave
People keep saying that nothing will change overnight? Why?

What is it that you are then doing yourself to bring about the end of selling live beings in shops?

I dont buy animals. I dont shop at stores that do. I complain when I see ignorance. I write letters. I give managers helll when I see ignorance.

Listen, I am not arguing how horrible pet stores are. I dont think anyone is here to do that. I was just trying to help the people who got jumped on for trying to make the best of their personal situations. It is hard for people, if they have a family, etc, to just quit because they become more informed about the truth behind their company. I know I couldnt, if I was in that situation. I'd actively look for another job, but wouldnt quit in the mean time.

I'm done, everyone here is very set in their ways, and there is nothing wrong with that.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
I think perhaps you're missing the difference that many people would no sooner sell animals than they would sell humans for a living. Also, no one is telling people to quit their jobs right now without another job lined up, just questioning how important they see looking for another job really is.

There is a big difference between saying, "I work for a living but I don't agree with what I do", and "I work for a living and don't agree with what I do BUT...".

ortal

Cavy Slave
There is a big difference between saying, "I work for a living but I don't agree with what I do", and "I work for a living and don't agree with what I do BUT...".

I think what they are saying is ""I work for a living and don't agree with what I do BUT..." I am going to try to make a difference while I am here, and make the best of a bad situation.".

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
Wow ok, REALLY wasnt expecting all this to erupt like it did. All i did at the beginning was to compare Pets At Home with Petco.

"Also, no one is telling people to quit their jobs right now without another job lined up, just questioning how important they see looking for another job really is."

Looking for another job is very important to me ,but even finding this one took months. Do I really need to give my life history for you people to trust me? I have learnt so much from you guys, but you seem very quick to jump on people who circumstances alter slightly differently from the way you all live. I will get there eventually, but will take a while and its the trying that counts.

I would like to thank ortal for seeing my side of the story and understanding what I was trying to say. You didnt have too.

""I work for a living and don't agree with what I do BUT..." I am going to try to make a difference while I am here, and make the best of a bad situation.". My point exactly.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hmm... I'm sure no one reads my posts.....

Let me put this simply. MOST people DO NOT CARE!!!

For every person that believes it is wrong to sell animals in pet stores there are hundreds if not thousands of people who don't care.
For every person that is knowledgable and compassionate about proper care of animals there are hundreds that either don't know, or don't see the point.

In terms of employment a boycott is a waste of time. You will never convince enough people (many of whom have no interest in animals) to avoid the pet stores for a reason they neither understand nor care about. There will always be more than enough people to fill the gaps created when people quit.

So what do you achieve? You won't actually cause the store to shut down or change policy because you will never have enough impact. All that will happen is they will continue to sell animals - only now those animals will be in the care of people who don't give 2 cents what happens to them... You won't stop animal abuse, you'll add to it!

thalestral

Cavy Slave
How defeatist. I do not understand how people on an anti-pet store forum can be so negative about what differences they can make. Are any of you at all involved in activism? I just don't understand this attitude at all :/

Oh, and it doesn't matter what comes after the "BUT..." as they are just excuses. "I sell children for a living BUT....". No excuses validate what you are doing. If it is just a job and it earns you a living then fine, I don't think ANYONE has a problem with that.

It's the defence of what pet stores do, or how pet store employees can make things "better" for the beings still being sold that is getting peoples backs up.

Why defend what you do if you don't agree with it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Let me put this simply. MOST people DO NOT CARE!!!
Well, on this board, the majority of people do care.

For every person that believes it is wrong to sell animals in pet stores there are hundreds if not thousands of people who don't care.
For every person that is knowledgable and compassionate about proper care of animals there are hundreds that either don't know, or don't see the point.
Do you have data to back up your statements? Have you been out surveying these hundreds if not thousands of people you say don't care? Do you know that for every 10 people that come on this forum, about 8-9 of those do learn proper care and do what is right for their pigs. They learn that rescue is the way to go and why, they learn why buying from petstores is bad, they learn why breeding/showing is bad, they learn that giving a larger cage means happier pigs, they learn that proper diet enables their furry friends to have a healthier and longer life. So that shows me people do care and want to better their animals' lives. There is that one odd person once in a while that no matter what you tell them, they don't seem to believe you or just don't care and their pigs suffer because of it.

I've been an active member on this forum for almost 3 years. I've seen hundreds of people come and go but for the majority of those people, they have cared and have changed their pigs lives. Some had previously learned about care from books or what the petstore employees told them, etc. and we all know that books don't contain proper care info. Many petstore employees don't know proper care either. They tell customers to put C drops in water and that veggies are ok as a once in a while treat and you don't need unlimited hay, etc. So many people don't know but want to learn so they research and find sites like this one and guinealynx.

This site is changing pigs lives one at a time. So don't go there and tell me that people don't care because I believe they do.

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
I agree that saying most people do not care is a bit drastic. Its not that people do not care, its just that alot of people are not wanting to change life long habits and attitudes. This website sees a very small minority of people, but you guys are helping me with my guinea pigs and im spreading the word :)

Its not that people are defending where they work, honestly i would right this second quit if i was able too. But i am not able too, so while i am there im going to try and make a difference even if it is small. Thats all that people are trying to say. No one here is defending pet stores and nor should they.

Anyway im sorry this thread got so out of hand, lots of misunderstandings everywhere not helping. Lets just end it in the knowledge that NO-ONE here is purposely supporting pet shops. And thats a great thing :)

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Lets just end it in the knowledge that NO-ONE here is purposely supporting pet shops
Yeah, that would be great and all .... except that it isn't true. By working there, you ARE supporting the sale of animals in pet stores.

so while i am there im going to try and make a difference even if it is small.
I still don't know what difference it is you're trying to make for the greater good of NOT selling animals in pet stores by working for one that does.

Its not that people are defending where they work,

Ok. :rolleyes:

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I agree that saying most people do not care is a bit drastic. Its not that people do not care, its just that alot of people are not wanting to change life long habits and attitudes.

Personally, I think the problem is not one of a lack of caring- it's just plain ignorance. People aren't aware of what goes on before the guinea pigs show up in the pet store, where they are bred back to back in poor conditions then sold cheaply, and many of them suffer and die from preventable illnesses. I have faith enough in humanity to believe that if most people were to know the truth, they would choose adoption instead. It's just as convenient as buying a pet store piggy, not to mention the piggy costs less, and is healthier. People want to do the right thing, they just aren't aware that buying from a pet store is wrong. We can help by opening their eyes to what goes on behind the scenes.

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
Susan you really have it in for me dont you heh. I dont know how many times I have to say this (i shouldnt have to really, but i feel a real need to stick up for myself in this situation) I appreciate that I am "supporting" pet stores by being there, i do not want to, but unfortuanatly i am. Hands up to that. I may have used the wrong word to explain that properly, but why do you keep on at me as though you think i dont understand that.

In reality i am "supporting" pet stores but in my heart I dont. Please understand this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.