Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Family-Owned Petstore

There's a rather extravagant pet store in old town Lansing. It is the largest family owned pet store in Michigan. I wanted to look into getting a friend for my two pigs, I look at the humane society and the former local pig rescue became into doing shows.

So I saw guinea pigs in large cages, larger than the one I have at home, they have them with had water and veggies. They told me they keep them for a quarantine period, then they'll sell them.

This store is reputable and very responsible in regards to taking care of the animals they house. They choose not to keep some animals like puppies if they can't take proper care of them.

This is much better than the chain stores that sell pets, and I drive out there every other week because they sell Oxbow Hay products.

Is it still wrong to buy from a local business who takes proper care and procedure in their pets or should I just wait until I run across someone who happens to have the proper sex and age of guinea pig?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    423 Rec'd/167 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Family-Owned Petstore

Yes, wait.

By selling animals they dish them out into homes that are in no way vetted. Each one that's sold does a rescue pig out of a home, potentially sentencing some to death.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

One of the big reasons we are against all petstores that sell animals is because they get their animals from breeding mills or backyard breeders or even breed themselves. Everytime an animal is bred, it takes homes away from homeless cavies. It doesn't matter if they have cages the size of your living room and give them 5 cups of veggies each a day on 24 karat gold plates, they are still getting their pigs from a breeder or breeding their own.

I'd definately wait until a pig comes along that needs a home. Maybe you will find an ad on petfinder, craigslist or your local newspaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/15 Posts

I look at the humane society and the former local pig rescue became into doing shows.
    I really cannot comprehend this sentance ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/34 Posts

Try looking on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten..

They don't have an application, do they? That means that they sell them to whoever they want. They could sell them to someone who just wants them for their 5-year-old who doesn't even know how to handle one right. Also, as Ly said, every pig, unless they are taken from a rescue, is preventing a homeless pig from being adopted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts

I go to that exact store several times a week. It's a fantastic store.

I'm not going to condone buying animals from any petstore because I don't want to get banned from the forum, but I would think that - in terms of supporting or not supporting an individual store - you'd be better off working with this particular family-owned store. Their animals are healthier and more well-cared-for than any you're going to find at a national chain.

However, you'd be even better off waiting for an adoption, as long as you go through a reputable rescue.

If you're in the Lansing area, just keep watching the boards and checking the newspapers. There's always a lot of cavies available around here when MSU goes back into session. Try CL, too.

ETA: As for this particular store having an application, no, they do not. However, if you can't prove that you're informed, they won't sell you the animal. I always pop by the small animals on my way to the fish, and literally EVERY time I walk through there, one of the employees is saying, "I know how cute they are, but rabbits really aren't an appropriate pet for a child that age" or "Guinea pigs need a lot more space than you'd think."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts

It's obviously good that they care for their pigs, but at the end of the day you don't know where the pigs are from, the conditions they're kept in. And no matter how good the store is - you will still be taking a home away from a rescue pig and opening up a spot for more pigs to be bred.

I too would wait for a rescue piggy - there's certainly bound to be some around if there are stores selling them.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Just remember to look at the bigger picture. It's not always about what you do see but is also about what you don't see. Everytime one pig is sold, it's normally replaced by 2 more. That means some poor sow somewhere has been bred to provide all these pigs. Does this store get their pigs from breeders or do they breed their own? Either way, they are putting sows lives at risk to get cute widdle pups to sell. If they get them from breeders, it could be a piggy mill or backyard breeders who all keep their pigs in tiny cages with only pellets and no hideys. Also if they get them from breeders, how are they transported to the store?

When their animals get sick, do they get vet care? Are the sexes separated?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

I was looking at the bigger picture, which is why I asked. However, a baby Abyssinian hasn't easy to come by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    342 Rec'd/241 Posts

Have you tried checking shelters farther away from you? Have you looked on Petfinder and Craigslist? Tried asking vets or animal control services? I'm sure they are out there, it's just a matter of finding them! Plus, sometimes you just have to wait. I had to wait several months before my shelter had a Peruvian, but my little Ragamuffin was so worth the wait in the end!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/194 Posts

I would say there are two main reasons for avoiding pet shop pigs, even if they get fantastic care:

1) Overpopulation. Buying encourages breeding, and takes away a potential home for a homless pig. It causes more overpopulation, and more piggies to remain or be put to sleep in shelters.

2) No contact between breeder and buyer. (If you don't take the whole issue of breeding into consideration.) If you were buying direct from the breeder you could see how the piggies were kept, find out how frequently females are bred, what happens to ex-breeders or animals they can't sell etc. You can avoid mills and byb's. For the breeder, they get to meet and vet potential buyers and ensure their babies only go to great homes. For these reasons resonsible owners don't buy from pet shops, and responsible breeders don't sell to them.

Does it have to be an abbey? Does it have to be a baby? I can understand looking at different breeds of dog, but not piggies, but that's just me. I agree with Envisionary though - if you really won't consider an older or shorthaired piggie then keep looking and wait until one becomes available from rescue.

In a house full of animals that boss me around. LOL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    82 Rec'd/59 Posts

When I first called the shelter about Jasper and Jinx I was told they were adopted. My boyfriend and I concluded that it wasn't meant to be. Literally a day later I got a call that they were returned and were we still interested? That was months ago. They are the sweetest pigs ever-I cannot imagine why two homes gave up the pair of adorable silkies-we were thankful though! Keep trying, it is worth it!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why punish a little piggy for being in a display case in a petshop? I think any effort in taking in a piggy from anywhere and giving it lotsa love, care and a good forever home is being responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    423 Rec'd/167 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wheekypigs View Post
    Why punish a little piggy for being in a display case in a petshop? I think any effort in taking in a piggy from anywhere and giving it lotsa love, care and a good forever home is being responsible.
    Have a read of the threads at the top of this forum before you post any further.

You buy a pig from a pet store, you give them enough money to buy four more. Are you going to "rescue" them too? What about the four that replace each of them? Is that being "responsible"?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/5 Posts

I got three of my four boars for pet shops, before I posted here or anywhere else I just thought it was the done thing. I have learnt from that and now only use rescues and try to buy all products from shops that don't sell animals. It's heartbreaking to see those poor pigs in stores and other animals for that matter but DSL is right we can't rescue them all.

I was under the illusion that I was rescuing my boys, but all I was doing was lining the pockets of people who don't care about animals. Don't get me wrong I love my boys and I'm so glad I have them now, but they have been harder work than my girls (who are from a rescue) and my baby boar Eccles who I got on Saturday from a vets (his mam was abandoned before pregnancy and the vets took her in and she gave birth to three boars) and even though Eccles is only 8 weeks I can see he is so much calmer than my other boars when I got them from pet shops.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daftscotslass View Post
    Have a read of the threads at the top of this forum before you post any further.

You buy a pig from a pet store, you give them enough money to buy four more. Are you going to "rescue" them too? What about the four that replace each of them? Is that being "responsible"?
    I did read and this is my opinion. I'm sure on this forum we are graciously allowed to defer.

It doesn't make sense to me that if Ramon chances upon a piggy (s)he is taken by and wants to give it a good forever home, that (s)he should pass it by, but the decision is up to Ramon.

Thank you for your food for thought though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,067 Rec'd/318 Posts

It doesn't make sense to me that if Ramon chances upon a piggy (s)he is taken by and wants to give it a good forever home, that (s)he should pass it by, but the decision is up to Ramon.
    What is it that doesn't make sense to you?

Perhaps you are not understanding the massive overpopulation of guinea pigs; perhaps you don't realize that every day guinea pigs are euthanized for lack of good homes or are surrendered to shelters, or are simply set "free" when their owners no longer want them. Perhaps you don't understand that pet stores contribute to this problem by a) encouraging breeders to breed more animals in an already over saturated environment, and b) by selling guinea pigs to anyone willing to plunk down the money.

If you understood those points, I don't see how asking an individual to bypass their own individual wants for the greater good of the guinea pig doesn't make sense to you.

I think any effort in taking in a piggy from anywhere and giving it lotsa love, care and a good forever home is being responsible.
    You must have a different definition of the term responsible, or else you must have fairly low standards. I fail to see how buying a guinea pig from a pet store (and thus, condemning more pigs to be bred, sold, and potentially abandoned) and simply giving it "lotsa love" is responsible. Responsibility, from my understanding, means taking the time and effort to research an animal and it's proper care before taking one on as a pet. Responsibility, to me, means realizing that there is an overpopulation of guinea pigs, and responsibility, to me, means not adding to that problem by purchasing a guinea pig from a pet store and contributing to the problem.

Responsibility means providing the best, most appropriate care to a guinea pig. In all honesty, I'd rather someone provide appropriate care to their pet instead of "lotsa love." Many, many people who profess to "love" their pets taken absolutely appalling care of them. Many people who state they "love" their guinea pigs keep them in tiny cages, all alone, giving hay as treats, never providing vegetables, and insist on breeding their pigs. They may "love" their pets, but they are doing their pets a tremendous disservice. Those animals would benefit from a little less "love" and a lot more responsibility.
    Dopetastic moderator S.

18. "Thank you, Susan9608, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/34 Posts

I did read and this is my opinion. I'm sure on this forum we are graciously allowed to defer.

When he buys the pig, he is freeing up room for more pigs, meaning the pet store will order more. He won't be helping too much with pet store pigs. He will actually be making the situation worse. He should just adopt. Unless he intends to buy every single pig the pet store orders, he will not be helping by buying the guinea pig. Money also tells the pet store that they're doing something good. Chances are that the pet store isn't even taking care of their guinea pigs well, so he is doing something much worse than supporting the over-population. If he buys the guinea pig due to bad conditions, he should just report the cruelty and make it known ( people will shop their less, and the store will get less profit.)

Pet stores often get their animals from scummy mills. The mills are hoarder-breeders that sell their animals for profit to companies. These places are often contaminated with disease, parasites, etc. The guinea pig he gets will infect the others. The animals from these mills are not taken care of well at all.

View this if you are confused:
    Pet Store Truth | The Reality of Pet Stores.
    Last edited by MCR_Rox; 11-12-07 at 06:56 pm. Reason: adding thing about mills

20. "Thank you, MCR_Rox, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/16 Posts

I don't know how far they are from you, but there are piggies in MI on Petfinder.com. Some of them are from rescues too, and they might be willing to help with transport to get a homeless piggy a good forever home. Have you tried contacting them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts

In this particular situation, it isn't a matter of opinions, it is a matter of facts. I do understand what you are saying - I used to feel the same way - but that was before I saw the bigger picture. The vicious cycle of breeding, of disease and of death.

It really is a serious matter and not one to be taken lightly - and it is not a matter based on opinions. It's just a matter of whether you want to open your eyes and see the facts - or ignore them.

User Tag List