Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can't Find Pigs To Rescue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

socal805

Cavy Slave
First off let me say this is not directed towards anyone in particular. I am writing this for everyone who has said that the only way that they can have a guinea pig is to buy them from the petstore, for those of you who have said " There aren't any guinea pigs for adoption in my area". I am writing this for anyone who is right now thinking about getting a guinea pig.

Tonight as I sit here and try to figure out how to accomodate more pigs it breaks my heart that in my area alone, in the last 2 weeks there have been at least 15 guinea pigs that I have seen on craigslist and shelters.(by shelter I do NOT mean rescue, these are at the "pound"). The rescues in the area are FULL of guinea pigs, but at least they will live happy and healthy until they are adopted out. The pigs at the shelters (and all other animals) will sit there for a few days, maybe a week or two if they are lucky, waiting for someone to take them home. In one shelter I know that six of these wonderful pigs are due to be euthanized this weekend if they are not adopted out before then. As I try to figure out how to add to my current cage set up I know that I cannot take all 6 of them.

For anyone reading this looking to bring a guinea pig into their home I wonder how many guinea pigs are sitting tonight in YOUR local shelter? It really does not take that much time or resources to find out for yourself. It took me no time at all to find available guinea pigs, and I didn't even look at every single shelter within a 50 mile radius. For everyone of us on here who has rescued a pig or other animal there are even more people who still buy from petstores or breeders.

Can't find a pig to adopt? I don't think so...they are there, waiting for you..just open your eyes and look for them

Ditto to that. I was ignorant, didn't know any better (although that is no excuse), I did not know that their was such a thing as rescues and shelters which had guinea pigs. So, I got my girls from alternative places, I love them, don't get me wrong, but the thought of what I have done, how I have now made a breeder somewhere breed another litter is horrible to say the least.

Basically, in the whole of Western Australia there are no shelters, rescues etc and until recently I did not know that there was even one in Australia. I now have some information for the people of Australia who have the same excuse as I had (the excuse being; there are no shelters/rescues in Australia), there are places where you can adopt from. Australian Cavy Sanctuary will fly guinea pigs interstate, sure it costs more, but it is worth it. I have also found that if you look through the Quokka (I think it has a different name for each state, but it is basically a newspaper which has things available for sale) you will find people who are no longer able to have their guinea pigs and are looking into re-homing them. I am currently in the process of, this time, adopting another guinea pig. I plan to send of my application form to ACS and am also looking through the Quokka.

I know that I have no excuse for getting my girls from where I got them, but I was ignorant. I now know better, and am deeply sorry for what I did, nothing I can say or do can change the past but what I say and do now can change the future. And that is what I plan to do; change the future, one person at a time.

I know where I live the shelter does not take in animals other than cats and dogs which always makes me wonder what happens to the other pets. There are no rescues near me either which is sad. But one county north of me there is a place that always has piggies and it is sad to see how many:

Pocket Pets at CAHS

Even if a shelter doesn't have piggies at the moment doesn't mean they won't have some in the future. I kept checking the website for the Calgary Humane Society and there were never any pigs, mostly cats, dogs and rabbits. But a little while ago they were advertising 3 or 4 piggies. They are no longer advertised, which I hope means they were all adopted to good homes.

Do a little research and have some patience.

I think this thread would be better suited in the adoptables discussion forum so I am going to move it there. I think I will even sticky this thread.

Rescues and local shelters/Humane Societies aren't the only place to rescue pigs from. There is also Petfinder, Craigslist and sometimes you can find ads for pigs in your local newspapers. Just make sure that you aren't getting the pigs from a breeder when dealing with Craigslist and from the newspaper.

Thank You Ly!

Hey I live in Scotland and I cant find one rescue close by / Can someone please help ?

Thanks !

Hi Emma!

Thistle Cavies are the only dedicated Scottish rescue I know of. I adopted two of my pigs from them, and several other members here have adopted their piggies from them too. It isn't close by for me (a three hour journey each way), but worth it!

There is a small rehoming centre near me (SW), but they rarely have guinea pigs. Freecycle occasionally 'comes up' with pigs, your local newspaper, vets office or (pet) shop notice board are also places to keep looking.

Thankyou very much il have a look !

Thanks !

From your other post you said "If I can convince my mum". If you're a minor then you will need her permission to adopt a piggy from anywhere. Where abouts are you?

(broken link removed) link is useful to all UKers looking for a local guinea pig rescue.

Hi! everyone, I lived in Southern Calif, Inglewood to be exact. I cannot find any piggies to adopt here at my local shelters.I have a 13 week old female piggy, who seems loney. I play with her in her play pen, but I am sure I am really not much fun to her.I have read about not buying piggs from petstores,but the petstore I was getting the Carsfresh from had her piggies in large cages, not as large as C&C cages, but large. My little piggy is sooooooooo loney that I am so tempted, but I donot want to provide more space for other unwanted pigs.Some one help please will some advice.

Thank you soooooo very much. I am going to contact them asap. I am so glad I found this site, there is a wealth of info. here.

Are you able to travel closer to LA? There are tons of pigs there. There were a bunch of pigs at Downey recently. Your closest shelter is Carson. They get pigs in from time to time. They usually just euthanize the guinea pigs after a few days.

Piggy there are a TON of guinea pigs in Los Angeles shelters right now, also this is a great rescue group in Orange County-
Orange County Cavy Haven - Guinea Pig Rescue
if you take a look at that site they have shelter pigs listed as well as pigs whom they are fostering.
I am serious when I say there are a ton right now, this week there have been about 20 or so pigs that were dumped in different shelters, all in danger of being "put down" if they do not get adopted.
Good Luck!

Thank you for the info., I will be checking out Downey and Carson shelters for my baby piggy a sister.

I just called my humane society and some local smaller vet clinics and can't find a pig to adopt. I posted ads in a lot of online classifieds for one in my area, and made attempts on MySpace to find one.
No luck. Now what?

But in the meantime, I only have one pig, and I always hear people saying that's not a good thing to only have 1.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.