Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can't Find Pigs To Rescue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Post here with your general location. We can most likely help you find some to adopt.

ErikaBaby

Cavy Slave
newark new jersey/07104

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Petfinder

Craigslist

I also want to say that even though the humane society in your area might only list dogs and cats, it's highly possible they also have pigs too. Call them.

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
Our local humane society doesn't list the Guineas but have them for 3.00 to 10.00 and they have been fixed. I would call the shelters near you.

ErikaBaby

Cavy Slave
Petfinder

Craigslist

I also want to say that even though the humane society in your area might only list dogs and cats, it's highly possible they also have pigs too. Call them.

Yea I have been calling all day. They keep saying to call back because they are trying to check. It's getting frustrating

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Newark, NJ!!! I live in NJ.
Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue located in NJ. Here's the link, (broken link removed)

ErikaBaby

Cavy Slave
Well now they just called back and said they don't have any.

ErikaBaby

Cavy Slave
Newark, NJ!!! I live in NJ.
Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue located in NJ. Here's the link, (broken link removed)

Omg REALLY!? thank you so much. Im checking out the website now

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
If you are in South Africa and looking to rescue a Guinea Pig (or other small animal) put your name on the waiting list at (broken link removed) they do not currently have any but they will keep you in contact.

Happy "Piggy hunting" Always remember the right piggy will find you.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I called 4 shelters around me and they either don't take in pigs or they only get a couple a year/ It's actually very sad because that tells me they are just being turned loose or worse....

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I want to adopt and have been looking into it for 2 weeks now. I emailed all the RSPCA's in the east and south ireland. Nothing :( I asked my vet,put up adverts nothing.

KitKat in NY

Cavy Slave
Now what?

Hi Denise, I don't know what part of NY you are in. I have been having trouble in my area because I don't have any way to get to areas that do have guinea pigs. On Long Island there is a rescue called Katie's Critters Rescue (broken link removed) Unfortunately, I don't think a 3 hour ride on trains, subways and buses would make a piggie happy, so I am still looking locally and I did send a message to Katie's Critters asking them to let me know if they hear of anyone in my area looking to re-home a boar. I am also continuing to look.

Kathie

cleancat81

Cavy Slave
Hi! everyone, I lived in Southern Calif, Inglewood to be exact. I cannot find any piggies to adopt here at my local shelters.I have a 13 week old female piggy, who seems loney. I play with her in her play pen, but I am sure I am really not much fun to her.I have read about not buying piggs from petstores,but the petstore I was getting the Carsfresh from had her piggies in large cages, not as large as C&C cages, but large. My little piggy is sooooooooo loney that I am so tempted, but I donot want to provide more space for other unwanted pigs.Some one help please will some advice.

I used to run the small animal and bird departments at a large national pet store. I'll tell you, it has totally changed my mind about pet stores that sell animals. I worked very hard and took great care of the animals we received. I took them to the vet when ever necessary (,including "feeder" mice,) kept their cages exceptionally clean, made all nutrition needs a priority and tried my hardest to give them time for human contact, especially larger birds.

However, on Tuesdays and Thursdays when the breeders showed up with the new animals it was heart breaking. These animals where too young, not properly weened, in bad health, had bad genetic lines, spent hours in transit with out food or water and extremely stressed. Often they were incorrectly sexed and I would get mixed male and females in one container already pregnant before I could sex them.

So no matter how well the employees at one store care for an animal the breeders are simply cutting corners to pump out as many animals as possible. Almost 1/3 of my hamsters and gerbils died with in a 3 day period of arriving from wet tail, the mice and rats constantly had URI that rarely where cured and the was a break out of conjunctavitas in the cavys for months.

And even if they where are perfectly cared for and healthy there are still already animals needing homes in shelters, rescues and from unfit owners who would happily pass on their hassle to you.

I just don't think pet should be produced and sold as a commodity.

That's my 2 cents:blockhead

dkottler

Cavy Slave
I live in the Orlando Florida area and have been unable to find any shelters that have guinea pigs for rescue. I would love to get involved in my local area so if anyone has any information on how to locate the rescue shelters, please let me know.

Rodneysmom

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a little boy for my Rodney ,I think its time he needs a friend. I live in a small town called Saugerties, NY and was wondering if anyone can help me friend Rodney a friend, thanks for all your help.

Animals548

Cavy Slave
I have waited SOOO LONG and I still can't find a piggie near me, but there is/was breeder that is selling his piggies, I kinda feel bad for the piggies as I have seen pictures of them kinda cramped. There are almost non at the local pet store, I don't think anyone in my area even goes on craiglist!

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
Hey I live in Scotland and I cant find one rescue close by / Can someone please help ?

Thanks !

Yes Emma, were are you in Scotland? There is thistle cavies in Oban and Becklen Guinea pigs rehome to Glasgow too.

If you google them the websites will come up I hope this helps.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this thread. I am hopefully getting a 2 guinea pig soon, so I decided to start looking even though my parents are still thinking (I think it's a yes) I went on Petfinder and discovered a good rescue organization only a half hour away! The piggie I want is supposed to go with his brother, but can only have 2 piggies. Daphne I know what you mean, I keep hearing how bad it is, and I feel so guilty, I hope my parents decide soon. The suggestion of Petfinder SAVED me!

Status
Not open for further replies.