Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Poor kitten

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Well I have a kitten. Like I need another cat. :rolleyes: I decided to take my puppy for a walk down at the lake and on the way back missed my exit. I got off at the next one down and was headed down the highway when I saw what I thought was road kill pretty much on the center line. As I passed I realized it had it's head lifted. I swung around in the next driveway expecting to find a smashed or flopping body since 3 cars went past me and 2 were behind me. I pulled off to the side of the road directly across from the little lump and it comes scrambling across the lane to climb up under my truck. I crawled under the truck from the far side and pulled out a little grey tabby kitten. I'm standing there holding a hissing spitting kitten that managed to open up the side of my hand. Now how do I get the poor thing home with a puppy in the truck? Lucky I forgot to take my backpack inside and slipped the kitten into the backpack on the floor without Zami noticing.

No idea how long it sat in the middle of the road but it looks like it got bumped by a car in crossing and just decided to wait there until it thought it was safe. Her face is scraped up but nothing looks broken or too badly damaged. She's alert and kept trying to wiggle away. Only thing that worries me is her bottom is bloody which likely means some internal bleeding. The vet is closed but he said to bring her in first thing in the morning and I can call him overnight if I need to. I'm not sure there's much we can do for her though if she has internal damage. The scrapes and such we can clean and patch up but if she's bleeding inside she probably won't make it. For right now she's sitting in a covered carrier and I'm going to try to give her some food in a little while. She's barely past weaning age but hopefully will do ok with some canned. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. The camera is at my mom's house and the poor thing is rather bloody looking right now. If she actually makes it this is one that deserves the name of lucky. No idea how she is still alive as is but even if she doesn't make it at least she's not still sitting in the middle of the road in shock.

GailtheGuineaPg

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, that's quite a sad little story. Good for you for noticing that she was still alive! Best wishes for this lucky cat's recovery.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I bribed her with some tuna and got her to eat a teaspoon full of canned cat food. I think the scrapes on her mouth make it hurt to eat but I couldn't think of anything easier to eat that would be good for her. She is still active and cleaned herself up some but her eyes look worse and I don't think she can see. Hopefully it is only her eyes and not brain damage from all the scrapes covering majority of her head.

Chaos&Order

Cavy Slave
Awww poor little kitty. I hope she's ok.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The scrapes are superficial but making it difficult for her to eat. The eyes seem to have already had an infection and the junk from the road and cars going by didn't help. She also has ear mites. Otherwise she's quite active. Bit the vet and kept trying to run back to the carrier to hide. He said she's surprisingly healthy for all she's been through. So I have kitten formula, antibiotics, eye drops, and ear drops. If she remains healthy and heals alright she goes back in 10 days from now to start her vaccines.

Anyone want a kitten?

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Aww. poor kitty. Glad shes ok though.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I found with my young pups we had here, the easiest thing to eat is baby pablum. mix it with the kitten formula soit's soupy, and she can lap it up like a liquid, but it is still heavy enough to fill her tummy. Poor girl, she sounds like a fighter, hope she does well.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Here's a pic of my new kitten cleaned up and hiding in a carrier. She was wandering around earlier but I didn't have the camera yet so I'll have to get some more pics of her later.

GailtheGuineaPg

Cavy Slave
Oh she's tiny! I'm so glad that she'll be all right.

cjhx9

Cavy Slave
You should be a pro at rescuing cats by now Shawna. You take in like 4 a year. After you going to be keeping this one? You got those 2 feral cats in the basement right?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
So "Squeak" is alive, eating, and playing but with some mild mental handicaps. Her eyes don't quite focus right and are always tipped slightly to the outside and she squeaks instead of meowing. She's also kind of attention deficit combined with obsessive compulsive. The litterbox has become the most difficult task. She can't concentrate long enough to use the litterbox without attacking the litter but when she finally accomplishes it and starts burying her waste she just keeps going. I have to keep her on task long enough for her to potty and then eventually I have to distract her or she'll spend a half hour shifting all the litter in the catbox into little piles around her waste. Just not quite normal. She goes back to the vet tomorrow so we'll see what he says.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
She's a very pretty young lady. I know of a couple of people on GL who have cats who are slightly brain damaged and act weird as a result. I believe cats are pretty hardy critters though and are usually pretty reliable for telling you when they have had enough of this life.

Good job on taking such good care of her :]

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Finally took the time to upload pictures.

First week:

Today:

Still some slight earmite issues but otherwise nearly healed.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Aww, she is such a precious little thing. I love her stripy tum and little feets!

Has she managed to wangle a permanent place in your house? :]

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The problem is not everyone is so thrilled to have a kitten around. This is my spoiled little Carmel:

At first she decided to pretend the kitten didn't exist except to try really hard to get my attention(including hitting me across the face) whenever it meowed from it's pen so I would ignore it too. Now that it's wandering around she has laid down the ultimatum that she will not share the house and if it's staying she is going outside instead. You'd never think such sounds could come out of a cat and she peeled the weather stripping off the bottom of the door. :rolleyes:

I'm also mildly allergic to cats and my nose is running right now cause kitten is laying next to me on the couch. Carmel is laying on top of the monitor staring at me and growling cause I yelled at her for tearing my door apart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.