Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Piggy is OCE (Obsessive Compulsive Eater)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: My Piggy is OCE (Obsessive Compulsive Eater)

Quote Originally Posted by piggly wiggly View Post
    I said it is a good enough food to feed,if you can't get the other two. I never said get it because it is cheap and easy. Under brands in Canada this is considered acceptable, if you cannot get the premium brands.
    I don't mean to be confrontational but where is this list? I apologize but I have never seen a Pet Valu brand listed as a acceptable brand. (Doesn't mean that it isn't but I have never SEEN it listed as such.) Every posting I have read here since joining this forum has directed me to the "premium" brands simply because they are the only ones with 100% timothy hay and no alfalfa.

In general Pet Valu sells only cheap pet foods. I don't shop there for any of my pets as they don't carry high quality brands for any type of animal.

The so-called premuim brands of guinea pig food ARE available in Canada (either in person at some locations or via on-line shopping) so no-one should ever say that they "can't get" the good quality food. I can only imagine the reason someone would opt for something else is because it is cheaper and/or easier to obtain.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,451 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

I don't mean to be confrontational but where is this list?
    There is no list here yet, but there is a pellet analysis thread on gl. I have reviewed the ingredients in these pellets from someone posting them in another thread back in June. They are quite comparable to Mazuri 5664. The Pet Valu brand is alfalfa based but they contain no corn, molasses, beet products or harmful preservatives.

It would be acceptable to feed these if one cannot get oxbow or KM's pellets. They are better than the majority of the garbage on the market but they would have to be fed in very limited quantities (1/8 cup per pig per day)to adult pigs due to them being alfalfa based.

3. "Thank you, Ly&Pigs, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/3 Posts

Maybe the piggie that constantly wheeks is just a noisy pig. Lily wheeks constantly, while Popcorn is quieter. I think that Lily is just more into conversation than Popcorn, being a woman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    130 Rec'd/67 Posts

Thanks Ly, you beat me to it. I was going to say, according to Ly&pigs who is the resident guinea nutrition expert, the pet valu brans is acceptable. But of course, the premium brands are the best, but since it can be hard to find these, or some people don't have credit cards to order online, or aren't comfortable shopping on line, or for a different reason they can't get it. It's good to let people know what else they can use . Also, if someone just got a pig, and they are ordering food online, while they are waiting for the food, they can feed an acceptable food instead of junk while they wait for the delivery.
    Last edited by piggly wiggly; 09-03-07 at 03:45 pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piggly wiggly View Post
    Thanks Ly, you beat me to it. I was going to say, according to Ly&pigs who is the resident guinea nutrition expert, the pet valu brans is acceptable. But of course, the premium brands are the best, but since it can be hard to find these, or some people don't have credit cards to order online, or aren't comfortable shopping on line, or for a different reason they can't get it. It's good to let people know what else they can use . Also, if someone just got a pig, and they are ordering food online, while they are waiting for the food, they can feed an acceptable food instead of junk while they wait for the delivery.
    Yes, of course, I see your points. Sometimes it is good to be reminded that other people don't live the same way we do. The pet store with the Oxbow is less than 5 minutes from my home and I am comfortable with on-line shopping. I guess I hadn't really thought about how difficult the food might be to obtain for others not in the same situation.

And I thank Ly & Pigs for her information about Pet Valu food being "acceptable". As I said I simply had not read that anywhere. I suppose as soon as I started buying the Cavy Cuisine I stopped looking for alternatives. OF COURSE if someone has a pig and doesn't have a premium brand the next best thing would be better than junk food and it is good that this information is available for anyone who needs it.

User Tag List