Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

needing building advise.

Hello there, my name is Sarah I am a 23 year old college student from Columbia,MO I am currently in the process of adopting my very first pair of female Piggies from a lady on the boards that lives in Lexena,KS (where my BF currently lives and where I will eventually move to after I get out of school. Anyway she is giving me the Piggies, and a whole ton of cage material to build their cage with. And I have the room to put up a cage the only thing is I think I will need to make it a tall layered cage instead of big and wide like I had originally thought (I just think for the are in my house I want to set this up that will work out a lot better.)
    Anyway I have never constructed a cage like this before and I would really appreciated just some general help on how I can get the cage set up once I get the supples back to my house would be great...maybe even some pictures to go off of would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    P.S. I am due to be picking up the piggies the 15th of Sep. a little after my school semester starts...and if anyone wants I'll be glad to post up pictures of the girls and the cage once everything is set up.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: needing building advise.

Just look in the photo gallery. There are hundreds of pictures of cages of all different sizes and configurations. Really building a C&C cage is merely limited by your imagination.

Just some pointers: when cutting coroplast, measure, then measure again, then measure again, maybe even measure one more time, then cut. But don't worry, even if you do make a mistake it is nothing some packing or duct tape probably can't fix.

You can use the connectors or not. Even if you use the connectors, zip tie all the grids together. This makes it much more stable.

Be sure to post pictures when you finish so we can all see what an excellent job you have done!

Thanks
    Thanks
    342 Rec'd/241 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have you seen this link: http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm? Use this as a guide for putting the cage together, and we can help you with more specific questions as they come up. There are some great tips on this page: http://www.guineapigcages.com/types.htm, and you can use these pages to get help finding materials: http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm, http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The previous posts pretty much have you covered! The biggest tip is to use cable ties. When you get your piggies, I definitely want to see pics...I'm sure other members would agree!

Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Picutures would be lovely. And I agree for my next cages I'm using zip ties because they make everything so much more sturdy and such. Good luck.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jilovecavies View Post
    The previous posts pretty much have you covered! The biggest tip is to use cable ties. When you get your piggies, I definitely want to see pics...I'm sure other members would agree!
    No prob actually I have three girlies now! I decided that splitting up the the whole group after that had been together for so long anyway would be a bad idea... and the other little girl really stole by heart...the building of cage should not be a prob since Colleen the lady I am getting em from has plenty of cage material.
    I havn't really took a good look around the site so I had not seen those other pages...if I have any specific problems I will make sure to come back and I am hoping my BF can help me with some of it too!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Jenni_Feathers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    101 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

My cage used to be 2 levels but I took the loft down because it was hard to clean under. I think other people have had this problem too.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I think my biggest issue is I don't want to the cage to really WIDE, for the spot I am planning on using it in I just can't since will be right next to a stairwell...what I need to really do is take down so measurements of just how wide I would actually like it to be if I can make it fairly tall to make for the lake of width I think I will be just fine...I just would need to figure out how about I would do that is all.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I had a very, very quick question to ask of you guys? I was browsing the photo gallery today and I came across a cage style that I actually like pretty well...I just wanted to ask a simple question would a cage like this:http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8412
    work for three Piggies? and if it would not would there be anything I could do with mine to make it so that it would?

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I think that would be lovely for 3 piggies. You might want to expand it forward a little...maybe have the edges the 3 cubes long and the inner sections 2 cubes long, if that makes any sense. Maybe if you could make it a 2x5 instead of a 2x4...hrm...or even a 3x4...sorry, I'm rambling.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    239 Rec'd/161 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The style of cage is brilliant, compact yet neat, it would work great if you only had 2 piggers, but since you have 3 you really need 2x5 (expand it by a grid or so), or something to the effect, 3x4 may suit your plans better. I have just spent all day making my cage! Good Luck!

Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's really a 2 pig cage. To make it for 3 pigs, you'd want the bottom to be at least 2 grids deep and 5 grids wide.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigsforlife View Post
    The style of cage is brilliant, compact yet neat, it would work great if you only had 2 piggers, but since you have 3 you really need 2x5 (expand it by a grid or so), or something to the effect, 3x4 may suit your plans better. I have just spent all day making my cage! Good Luck!
    I was planning on just getting two at first but the third girl just really stole my heart away and the group of em have been all together for a really long time and I just don't think I want to put them through the stress of getting separated so yeah bringing all three in..I think I am going to look at doing something like this in a 3x4 like you are saying...I am hoping my BF can help me out with it since he is far better at making things then I am. I think just to be sure when I do get the piggies I am going to move off some furniture in the room or just area in general in case I need to move the cage to a different spot in the room. The area I am putting it in now is right next to the stair well of my basement and I am just not sure if I put the cage there if there will be a lot of room to walk around the cage...my BF should be able to help me make a plan of some kind to get this going. Hopefully...in the mean time I will try to put up pics of the space I am looking at using for the cage and the area in general and you guys can tell me what you think I can do with the space to make it work.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    239 Rec'd/161 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On second thoughts, 2x5 would be bigger, I don't know, I have confused myself now!

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think, technically, a 3x4 is bigger than a 2x5, but I haven't taken a math course in quite some time.

We just made the 3x4 for our piggies yesterday (still need the coroplast) and it wasn't too hard...except for me stubbing my toes repeatedly on the cubes. I think they'll love it!

You could do a loft, also.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I should have plenty of cubes for you to make the multilevel cage. I'll try to remember to do a cube count this week for you.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A 3x4, ignoring variable spacing due to connectors versus cable ties, is approximately 42 inches by 56 inches, or 2352 square inches, or sixteen square feet and a bit. A 2x5 is approximately 70 inches by 28 inches, or 1960 square inches, or thirteen square feet and a bit.
    Neat and quick way of calculating approximate square-inchage on two-cube-wide cages: Approximate width is twenty-eight inches, or 2x2x7. Length is fourteen x number of cubes long, or 2x7x(number of cubes). Since you're multiplying length by width, area in square inches is 2x2x2x7x7x(number of cubes) - or 8 (2x2x2) x 49 (7x7) x the number of cubes. Why does this make it easier? Because 7x7 is 49, which is nearly fifty, and therefore the square inchage is approximately fifty times eight times the number of cubes - or four hundred times the number of cubes. For a three-cube-wide cage, replace eight with twelve (you are multiplying by three once rather than two), giving six hundred times length in cubes, and so forth.
    Nobody teaches the kids how to estimate these days, she complains in a whiny-old-lady voice.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by confuzioncity View Post
    I should have plenty of cubes for you to make the multilevel cage. I'll try to remember to do a cube count this week for you.
    Sounds great I'll keep you posted on everything I might need to pick up things a little later then what I thought like I told ya before...but hopefully everythig will work out

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jilovecavies View Post
    I think, technically, a 3x4 is bigger than a 2x5, but I haven't taken a math course in quite some time.

We just made the 3x4 for our piggies yesterday (still need the coroplast) and it wasn't too hard...except for me stubbing my toes repeatedly on the cubes. I think they'll love it!

You could do a loft, also.
    I think a loft would be great as well, my BF is actually going to help..me design something for the girls after your local Renaissance Festival is through. I'll make sure to post up pictures once we get everything set..I might have to look into buying some ramps since I am not sure if Colleen actually has any...and I would love for this to be leveled.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Jenni_Feathers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    101 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Just remember that only the main level counts as square footage and that the other levels make it hard to clean, but in you situation I'd say at least a 2x4 main level with a large loft or 2.

P.S. GO MIZZOU!!!!!! I'm hoping to be going to their vet school next year (I'm assuming thats where you go since your in Columbia)

User Tag List