Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tips to make piggie with mange more comfortable??!!!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Hello, Itsy one of my piggies has today been discoverd to have mange mites. In her ears, i know she is being driven crazy by these horrible unseen things. :sad: , as she has scrached her ears raw, with scratches on and a sore patch on her ears. The vet said to throw away all bedding and replace new ones, no problem. And disinfect everything else. She is going to have a treatment for itching. My mum is getting new bedding TOMOROW thankfully.

I was wondering how on earth she got them, and if there were any possible ways of making her more comfortable, and not in as much agony as she is now, :weepy: .

Any help would be massivly appriciated.

Thanks, Getting.cavys

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I didn't know piggies could get mange mites in their ears? I thought that was a different type of mite? Here are a few links to Guinea Lynx...

Guinea Lynx :: Ear Mites
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites

I'm sorry I have no personal experience with this, but I will say that you should separate your piggies immediately. Your other piggy is most likely infested as well and will need treatment at the same time.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is she going to be treated with Ivermectin for the mite problem? It should help relieve itching in a matter of a few days. She will need 3 treatments spaced 7-10 days apart. There are those collar type things that are like a tube that you could get from your vet to keep her from scratching so much and making it worse.

Mites lay dormant in pigs and they can flare up in times of stress or illness. They didn't come from the bedding or anything and they can't live without a living host.

As far as separating, there is no need to separate. Just make sure all pigs are treated at the same time.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Yes Bitsy will also be having treatment, ill make sure of that! Bitsy is not showing any signs og mange yet, thankfully. But i heard their can stay on the piggie for long periods of time being unnoticed. I just feel terrible for Itsy i know relize how much pain she must be in :weepy: .

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly. Yes she will be treated with Ivermectin. ASAP!!! I will inquire about the collar.
At the moment we have to put a special oil in her ears to soften the scabs inside her ears. And tomorow she will start the treatment.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry your poor piggy is in pain, and I hope she gets better soon. Good luck.

Ly, does Revolution work as well as ivermectin does for mites?

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Thanks envisionary.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
What would make her more comfortable??

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I think the only thing that will make her more comfortable is getting treated so the mites go away, unfortunately. You can try to distract her with veggies in the meantime.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
:( ok thanks, it is very sad seeing her like this i would never wish this on any living thing!!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I have used both Ivermectin and Revolution, I found that Revolution works better and faster. Ivermectin seems to work on a small investation of mites but Revolution is better for heavily invested mites. That is my personal feelings about it.

I was told that ear mites come from cats, how true that is I don't know. Can anyone confirm this?

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
I dont have any cats..?

Blindy

Cavy Slave
When my cavies had Mites I hid veggies in the cage and they had to find it, and get it by themself. This kept them from scratching for a while.

camende

Cavy Slave
Is she going to be treated with Ivermectin for the mite problem? It should help relieve itching in a matter of a few days. She will need 3 treatments spaced 7-10 days apart.

Ly&Pigs....Do you need 3 treatments?...My rescue has had 2 treatments so far which were 10 days apart. She's looking better and the vet said that he didn't think she would need another treatment. I am leaving on vacation next week but I could probably get her in for the 3rd treatment (but it will only be 7 days from the second treatment)....I am planning on introductions after I get back from vacation but I want to make sure she is free of mites before I do that...

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Well, the vet has prescribed treatment for every month?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.