Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Crusty ears...HELP!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Hi all. Hope everybody ok. Have a bit of a problem with one of my piggies, she seems to have crusty ears, they are dry and white also slightly swollen, one of the ears seems slightly darker in one patch that is dry. Her eyes are fine but her nose also seems to have a dry patch. I am taking her to the vet but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject. I have read that it could be mites? but not sure. I clean my piggies cage everytwo days so they are not dirty and have a great diet and plenty of availability of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Getting cavys and her mum

envisionary333

Cavy Slave

CavyLover94

Cavy Slave
I clicked on your link and noticed that it said "mites that affect rabbits can also affect guinea pigs." Does this mean that cat ear mites can't be given to guinea pigs?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sounds like fungus, especially given the locations of the hair loss - ears and nose. There is a link about fungus at GL. Get some anti fungal cream and rub it on her nose and ears several times a day. Watch her for a few minutes to let it soak in and make sure she doesn't ingest it.

You want to bleach her cage and be careful after handling her. Ringworm is very contagious. I'd apply the anti fungal cream with disposable gloves.

d0rked

Cavy Slave
One of my boys had crusty ears when I first got him (pet store pig =/). My vet (though he isn't exactly a cavy expert) figured out that it was ear mites. He gave me stuff to put in the ears to get rid of the mites, and something to put on the ear to help the wound where the dry white patch was.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Go antifungal cream.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
But is'nt Fungus from dirty cages? There are clean out reglularly.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No. Fungus can come from different things.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Fungal can come from a lot of things but it's very common. A lot of fungi are always present on guinea pig skin and can flare up in times of stress etc.

Ditto the fungal cream and a bath in Nizoral shampoo couldn't hurt to catch it if it's on the rest of the body, too.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Well..She went to the vet, and they said that they were not sure what it was, as inside her ear is very scabbed. So they have given hersome ear drops to loosen the scabs. Then she will return to the vet tobe diognosed. They said it could be mites they just dont know.

Her ears are driving her mad as i was holding her and she kept trying to get her head under my arm, not normal. She has also kept trying to climb up me for attention, normal but due to being spoilt, but normally for somthing she wants. I just feel shes trying to tell me something?

We have also be given (by the vet) some ear drops just incase you were wondering).

Thank you for replying to this thread.

Getting.cavys

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.