Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ferrets Ferret?

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Has anyone made a C&C cage for a Ferret? I don't have a Ferret, but I'm curious. Would it just be a large Cavy C&C with a cover?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
well, i know they can squeeze through really tiny spaces, so you would probably need to double grid.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
hmmm..basically I'm corious because in the future I'd like to have a rescue for small animals (hamsters, ferrets, rabbits, and Guineas of course!). And C&C cages would be great because they're cheap to make, and roomy for the animals. I graduated college with a graphic design degree, so I'm hoping that I can one day work from home.

Nathan

Cavy Slave
sofiemuffins said:
Has anyone made a C&C cage for a Ferret? I don't have a Ferret, but I'm curious. Would it just be a large Cavy C&C with a cover?
I am planning on making a cage for a ferret. I should have it done and ready for the little guy in Dec.

I do know that the smallest thing you have to worry about for them getting out is 2"x2" holes. I am planning on getting cubes with 1"x1" I believe they have them at Bed Bath, and Beyond.

I will keep you updated with my progress.

brillobee

Cavy Slave
I have a ferret and I know she can squeeze through the 1.5" grid holes like nothing. You'd need a double grid.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
thats what i thought, brillobee! In our old house, their were some loose ferrets in the neighborhood. they had breeded in the wild, and there were many. they used to get into our house by slipping under the front door!!!!!! they CAN get into TINY spaces.

Nathan

Cavy Slave
Well, I have decided to use the Kid's Cubes at Target.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Arent you suppose to build ferret cages up? Like with a few stories? In California ferrets are illegal to breed or buy. I want one so bad.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can, but I think horizontal cages would be just fine, provided they have enough space. I think that's the main deciding factor, but I really don't know overly much about ferrets.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
wow that sux about not having one in California.

Nathan

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
You can, but I think horizontal cages would be just fine, provided they have enough space. I think that's the main deciding factor, but I really don't know overly much about ferrets.
Well the size of the cage usually goes along with how often you have the ferret out. They will usally just use their cage for sleeping, but you should have them out for about 2 hours a day for play.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
It does suck. I want one really bad. Maybe when Im older I can adopt one from another state and sneak it in. Its not illegal to HAVE one its just illegal to breed or buy one.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Nathan. I think that goes for all pets, but there is usually a minimum size.

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
I've had ferrets for 11 years now and have done a lot of cage experimentation, and they do seem to like vertical cages more than horizontal ones. They LOVE shelves and levels since they're such busy bees, and hammock swings as well. I wanted to build them a cage, but they're such great escape artists (which is why I've had to do a LOT of cage experimentation), and I would be afraid they would find a way out of it. Let me know how it turns out though so I can steal the idea (j/j).

Poe

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
Ferret cages should be at least two stories, i think that it would be better to see if you could go three stories though

Plummie

Cavy Slave
If anyone has successfully made a CC cage for a ferret, I would love to see it! I have considered adopting two rescue ferrets and would need to build a cage for them, but I also worried about the grid spacing being too large for them..

Pangaea

Cavy Slave
I built a Cube cage for my ferrets. Neither ferret can squeeze through, but they are both males and one is huge. He wasn't neutered until he was 9 months old. I do worry however that I will have problems with smaller ferrets squeezing through the sides. I made the second and third levels partial levels and made one side of the forth level double the height to make sure that they can stand straight up in the cage. I would suggest anybody building a cage for ferrets to do this as both of mine get up every morning and proceed to the places that are taller and stretch as far as they can. If you can find the cubes with the smaller grids then I would suggest using them, just to be on the safe side. I have heard of others who tried to make cube travel cages for their ferrets and couldn't because the holes in the grid were too big.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I didn't think ferrets needed cages. Can't you just have them loose in the house like a cat with a litter box?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You can, but it s kinda like having free range guinea pigs, I think. They would have some sort of "base" to go to.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
I didn't think ferrets needed cages. Can't you just have them loose in the house like a cat with a litter box?
Free Range versus Caged Ferrets

Some ferret owners would prefer not to cage their pets, letting their ferrets roam freely about the house. This type of ferret lifestyle carries many more responsibilities. Constant and diligent ferret proofing is a must. Ideally, some areas of the house should remain inaccessable to the roaming ferrets, such as closets, kitchens, laundry rooms, and bathrooms. Free-range ferrets are more difficult to toilet train; almost every corner in the house may need to be lined with newspaper or have a litterbox. All ferrets on the roam should have a belled safety collar on. Hearing where your ferret is can be just as important as seeing. Owners must also be diligent about "head counts" to make sure you know where every ferret is, and no ferret has been trapped, injured, ill, or lost. Even owners of free-range ferrets need to have cages for time-outs, when company is over, or for isolating an ill ferret. In case of a fire or emergency, these ferrets are more difficult to locate. Perhaps a happy medium between the 24-hour free-range ferret and the 22 hour caged ferret is letting the ferrets out only when you are home and awake. Cage your ferret while you are away from home or asleep. Free-ranging ferrets are not recommended for first-time ferret owners who need more experience understanding ferret behaviors and ferret proofing issues.

(From the website: (broken link removed))

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.