Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ferrets Ferret?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
The holes are about 1.5 in tall and 1.5 in. wide. They're not square, they're like this:

(broken link removed)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have never seen them in real life. That picture is very helpful :)

tuntzero

Cavy Slave
I started to make a cage using panels with grids of 1.5" and at one point my ferret decided to try to pass through one of the holes of the unfinished cage. She succeeded... at least half of her did. After that, trying to "coax her" (actually more like pull her) to back up wasn't a very easy job, nor pleasing when she's completely hysterical. Finally succeeded in calming her down and pulling her out. :melodrama The cage is now safely out of the way in a closet.

So like someone (or many) said : be sure that your ferret can't stick it's head in. If it can, half the body WILL fit in also. Not the back end though. Scary. :(

Will continue looking for smaller mesh. Really smaller mesh! :eek:

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
I feed mine half 8-in-1 ultimate and half Zupreem... Kitten food generally isn't as good for them. Be careful what treats you give them too. Just b/c they say they're for ferrets doesn't mean they are safe for them, just as with any other pets. Nothing with banana puree, raisin juice, sugar, etc. should be given. N-Bones, Foamy Fries, Cheweasels, Rosies's Rewards, and Totally Ferret Treats are all okay.

sandcastle1997

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ferrets need a cage at least 2 feet by 3 feet. They also need to be out for at least 4 hours a day and not 2. Ferrets can and will squeeze out of a space that is only 1 inch in size. My small female did. If you are going to use a cage made with the cubes go to home depot and buy the mesh construction cloth. Use nylon zip cords to keep the mesh on the outside and then you should be safe. Good Luck!!
Ferrets can not digest fruits and vegetables. Even though there are treats on the market with these things in them they should not be given. It can lead to an intestinal blockage as well. They also should not be given sugary treats which is very bad for their health. N-bones, chew weasels and the bandit treats are good. There are others you just need to check. Also ferrets need real meat in their diets. They do not do well on a kibble only diet just as the gp can not survive on pelleted food only. Mine get real meat each day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.