Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Price of a vet visit

randy

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how much a vet visit on average runs. Dillion needs a well guinea pig physical, and I know we've skimped on that which I know is wrong so be gentle, I don't even go to the Doc. when I need to, but I know that's no excuse for not sending Dillion to one. I think my biggest reason of coarse next to check his health would be that my 7 yr. old daughter Rachelle would be heart broken if something terrible would happen to him, so I plan on in the next month or so finding a good vet for him.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Prices vary widely from one place to another, and between different vets in the same town as well, so it's really impossible to give you an accurate estimate. The most important thing is to find a quality exotics vet in your area who is skilled and experienced, and the cost should be a secondary concern once those conditions are met. Here are a couple of links to help you get started:
Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian.
National Vet Search Directories

Mags&Abby'sMom

Cavy Slave
I live in Michigan and pay $30 for a visit, then if I need any medicines those are extra. However, the vet I go to only charges me for one visit when I take in all three of my girls. She is an exotics vet and came well recommended. Cheap often doesn't equal quality. But as previously stated prices vary by vet and location. Your best bet would be to look up local vets and give them a call. Make sure they specialize in exotic pets or small animal care.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
By the way, one of the best ways to be proactive about your guinea pig's health is to weigh him frequently. Weight loss is often the first sign of illness. Since guinea pigs are prey animals, they often mask the symptoms when they are ill, so it's important to stay on top of things. A small kitchen scale works perfectly for weighing guinea pigs.

Providing the right diet, exercise, companionship, and care will help keep your cavy in the best of health. Here is a great thread containing links to all the information you need to be certain you are providing the best care possible for your piggy:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

Let us know if you have any questions! :)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The best guinea pig vet here charges $35 for office fee. Which means just to take up their time and have the animal looked at not for any treatment, tests, or medications.

Personally I don't take my pigs for checkups when there is nothing wrong with them but I've been around guinea pigs my whole life and know when something is wrong. I also weigh them frequently. Change in weight is usually the first symptom you'll see of something being wrong with a guinea pig. Digital postal scales also work well for pigs.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
40 is mine.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I don't do well visits. Personally, I think it is a waste of money. I would much rather save that money in a fund for when and if my pigs are ever ill and need a vet.
The best thing you can do for your pig is read and weigh. Read all the great info here and at Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig to help familiarize yourself with what symptoms to watch for IE coughing, sneezing, weight loss, loss of appetite, excessive scratching, excessive hair loss....
And weigh your pigs weekly. Being prey animals they hide illnesses easily, and frequently the first and only sign you will see to alert you something is wrong is a steady loss in weight.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
If I had yet gone through a year without having to take the boogers in anyway (due to health issues), I'd definitely get wellchecks done. Although I consider myself very knowledgeable, and weigh them, know what to check for in terms of illness, it's

a.) a great way to build a relationship with my vet... if something goes wrong and I'm in emergency financial straits, my vet is much more likely to work with someone that's been coming in with their piggies for 3 years straight, rather than someone who shows up with their pigs on teh doorstep.

b.) lets me get a back molar checkup, which I can't do at home.

Around here, the vet generally charges between 30-40. Some charge 50 if you're bringing in multiple animals, though.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
The cost of a consultation at the vets I visit - without any treatment - has risen quite a bit. It used to be just over £11 ($22), but it's now £16 ($32).

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It really depends on the vet and your area. It's between $40-60 in So Cal but it's a higher cost of living here.

It's recommended that regular pet owners take their vets in for a yearly exam so the vet gets to know your pet and can familiarize themselves with what is normal for your pig. I'm sure you're knowledgable but the average pet owner isn't going to be weighing their pig weekly or automatically notice something and rush their pig to the vet. If you're a first time owner or new, it's recommended to do yearly wellness exams and then every 6 months when they become seniors.

I don't do well visits. Personally, I think it is a waste of money. I would much rather save that money in a fund for when and if my pigs are ever ill and need a vet.
The best thing you can do for your pig is read and weigh. Read all the great info here and at Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig to help familiarize yourself with what symptoms to watch for IE coughing, sneezing, weight loss, loss of appetite, excessive scratching, excessive hair loss....
And weigh your pigs weekly. Being prey animals they hide illnesses easily, and frequently the first and only sign you will see to alert you something is wrong is a steady loss in weight.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think getting an overall check-up is essential when you first bring a new piggy home so that you can have an overall assessment of its health and know what to watch for. I also think well visits are important as a piggy ages and approaches its senior years. While weighing piggies frequently is just as important, you can't check everything yourself.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
My vet charges $30 but if I am bringing in a rescue he charges 1/2 price.

x0xmx0x

Cavy Slave
When my mom called the vet to see how much it would cost to put my hamster down (I didnt want him to suffer) the person said $30. to take our dogs for a check up it costs like $70 each. Vet prices around my area are horible.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you think those prices are horrible, I hope your guinea pigs never get sick.

x0xmx0x

Cavy Slave
If you think those prices are horrible, I hope your guinea pigs never get sick.
I am still going to take my pigs to the vet. I just think the prices are horrible it doesn't mean I wont take them.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
About every other year I've had a vet bill over $400 for an illness and at least once a year I have a vet bill of $100-$200 for something more minor. I just paid $600 on Licorice who we lost in surgery a couple months back. If you think office visit fees are high wait for baytril and metacam or what it costs to take up half the vet's day trying to stick a catheter in a pig, do xrays, and finally exploratory surgery because he's barely alive and all we can figure out is that he hasn't peed in over 24hours but there is blood in his bladder. The office fees become rather unimportant then. The problem is I had 8 of them not so long ago so at $35 per pig it might mean someone doesn't get proper treatment later in the year cause we spent $280 just to say there's nothing wrong with them. There's nothing the vet can see wrong with them that I can't but it will cost me $280 to have the vet check for goopy eyes and noses, lumps, swellings, and proper pee and poop. That's why I don't say yearly exams should be a requirement of owning pigs. It depends on your level of knowledge and what has the best result for the pigs.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Gosh I would hate to think how much I have paid to the vet.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have a wonderful vet that cares for all of my animals. I have an on running bill because I have dogs, cats, GP's and rabbits. I have used the same vets for 15 years. They know me and my animals very well so they let me put it on the bill if I have a problem. I pay a monthly fee. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years. The fee for just walking in the door is 25 dollars. that is for all animals. The bill goes up from there depending on what needs to be done.
I do not take them yearly.for check ups. I check each for clear eyes and nose. Weigh them. If anything is not normal I take them to the vet. This site has helped so much for the well being and the health of my piggies. I know what to look for and how to keep them healthy so they do not need to go to the vet very often.
I do feel it is very important to have a good exotic vet you trust lined up, so if there is a problem you can take your GP's right away if needed. If you don't have a vet when needed you can waste time trying to find a good GP vet. Alot of vets don't know anything about GPs. So do your homework and find a good vet, what he/she charges all that you need to know ahead of time.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
When my mom called the vet to see how much it would cost to put my hamster down (I didnt want him to suffer) the person said $30. to take our dogs for a check up it costs like $70 each. Vet prices around my area are horible.

At those prices, I don't think I would have pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.