Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can guinea pigs get fleas?

• Thread starter sparkyisnumber1
  • Start date

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
My mom cat has fleas and i was wondering if it is possible for the pigs to get them. I know it might be a dumb question but I really dont know. So if you guys do I will thankful for any advice.:)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
If you have a bad enough infestation then yes. Fleas don't really seem to like to live on guinea pigs though so it's not usually a problem but you should keep an eye on them. Also make sure to get the cat treated with something like advantage or frontline to get rid of the fleas.

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
well we got the cat treated already. I was just wondering if the fleas would jump on the pigs or not. Thanks for the advice.:)

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
No, usually disease are inner species meaning if a ct has fleas only other cats can get fleas. I know that there are some diseases such as ringworm that can be spead to all, but i'm pretty sure your safe for now.

kavykrazy

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies got fleas from the cat sleeping on top of the cage. And yes, sometimes the fleas will live on the pigs if that is what is available. I got revolution today to treat everybody.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I didn't realise Guinea Pigs could get fleas. I thought they could only get mites ... mites are like fleas, right?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Fleas are not species specific. I've had cats bring in fleas that got on hamsters, duprasi, gerbils, guinea pigs, and dogs. The fleas not only jumped on and bit them but continued to multiply months beyond when we had moved the cat to another home. One of those incidents killed my 2 dwarf hamsters because of their small size in relation to the fleas that were living on them. I suggest if the fleas are already noticed on the pigs, the infestation in the house is bad, or the fleas do not start to go away very soon to be proactive in treatment and get some advantage or revolution for the pigs. From experience small pets + fleas is very bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.