Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Coconut Oil, Miracle Food!

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
What exactly are madeleines and what is a madeleine tray?

I have never heard of them before, please excuse my ignorance.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just picked them as a shape and a mold that pretty much perfectly holds 2 tablespoons of the oil.

See this link: Madeleine (cake) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It's a lemony kind of cake cookie in a special form. You could use any shallow bowl instead, preferably glass because I think the frozen treat will come out easier.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
They look fantastic! I could use a muffin tray by the looks, to do the job!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I am a believer now. I've been doing it about 3 weeks and I do feel a noticable difference. It took a while to get used to and to feel any positive effects, but now I feel like I gotta have it! I have a general feeling of more energy- especially in the morning and I am NOT a morning person.

I have been using it a lot in smoothies and on bagels. Bagels are great because they are so dry and thick they just soak it right up. And a good quality coconut oil is better than butter. I also just tend to "lace" anything I can with it. Last night I drizzled some in my bean and rice burrito. I think once you get over the intense flavor of it, it tends to be more tolerable in many things that seem like they ought not have coconut oil in them. I cook eggs and pancakes in it as well.

Thanks Teresa!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've been taking it for about 3 days now and already feeling an increase in energy. I woke up after about 6-7 hours of sleep this morning not feeling tired and raring to go. Prior to today, I had been sleeping normally 8-9 hours a night and still felt drained the next day when I woke up.

I have been finding creative ways to use it as I only have the coconut oil. Tonight for dinner I had a chicken caesar salad and drizzled a couple teaspoons over the romaine lettuce. It gave the salad a very nice additional flavor.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
I am still struggling with it. I must keep trying ways to get it in, I willl have to try some recipies, as having it straight makes my tummy so unsettled. I thought if I poped it in some empty capsules I have for my yukky herbal stuff, and took it at night it might help, but I just lie awake with a funny tum. I so need to take this, there has got to be a way!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I took my very first dose straight and didn't feel ill or have an upset stomach from it. But it did leave that oily taste in my mouth for awhile. I have to say that I do really like it. I think shrimp would taste really good cooked into it as I love coconut breaded shrimp.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Kathryn- I had the upset stomach too. I just felt completely nauseated after having a significant "dose". But there's hope. The upset stomach just went away slowly, and now I am able to mix two or three tbsps in half a glass of orange juice and chug it without any problems. Make your doses small and work up. Hang in there!

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Thank you PMKelly, that has made a difference that someone has had this experience, I was begining to think I may have been intolerant to it and I so do want to take it! I will keep soldiering on.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you guys are taking it seriously, because it is a serious miracle food! :) Don't forget to use it on your face morning and evening. I've also started to rub it into my scalp when I have time, even leave it on overnight. I just put a towel over my pillow. It supposedly helps increase hair growth and return gray to normal over time.

Don't forget to look for canned coconut milk at Whole Foods or some equivalent. Canned coconut milk is to die for. You can use it as an almost instant soup. Just add what you want. You can use it like milk in cooking. It's so much better. And you get a lot of oil from it. Great in shakes and smoothies, too.

I have a new boyfriend and am planning on getting coconut oil massages! :) :) :)

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I only just came across this thread and I'm so glad I did. I will definately give this a go. I've been trying to lose weight and exercising but even when I cut down to around 800 calories a day I still don't lose weight so hopefully the coconut oil will help with that. It will be a miracle also if it helps with the tiredness I suffer from. I'm going to order those books that you recommended Teresa and I look forward to these amazing effects. Thanks for sharing this.

GeneGenie

Cavy Slave
Don't forget to use it on your face morning and evening.

For those like me with oily, acne prone skin, it's not such a good idea to use coconut oil on the face as it's highly comedogenic i.e. it accelerates plug formation - those bumps under the skin that can turn into pimples.

Otherwise the results you're seeing sound wonderful CavySpirit! My parents brought me back some bottles of virgin coconut oil from their holidays in Bali. I can't wait to start using it! :)

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Actually from what I am reading, it is fantastic for just that type of skin. The way I understood it is that the oil having the antifungal and antibacterial properties actually works on the cause of acne prone skin. I have read some testimonials from some people that tried everything for acne, and the coconut oil applied topically was their miracle cure! Do a search on google on acne and coconut oil and see if you find the articles I read. Some used it as a cleanser also.

I also have acne prone skin, though it is dry, or rather dehydrated, yet I do breakout a lot. The coconut oil really helps, at least it does for me. Though the coconut oil goes on as an oil, it is absorbed into the skin, not just sitting on the surface as other oils I have tried have done.

GeneGenie

Cavy Slave
Hmm, that's very interesting to hear kathrynj, it's really wonderful that you've hit on something that works for you! All the comedogenicity ratings I've come across list it as quite comedogenic and as a scientist I don't put much faith in anecdotal evidence, it's just the way I was trained! There are too many other natural products out there with antibacterial properties (like tea tree oil and neem oil) and other natural oils that are non comedogenic (eg jojoba oil) for me to risk using it. Though of course it's a personal decision and everyone's skin will react differently to different products. The only real way to find out what works is through trial and error. I might give it a go myself in the future, but since I've found products that work for me I can't see myself risking it. My acne is just about gone after 4 years of suffering, so I wouldn't want to do anything that could possibly bring it back, if ya know what I mean!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
For those like me with oily, acne prone skin, it's not such a good idea to use coconut oil on the face as it's highly comedogenic i.e. it accelerates plug formation - those bumps under the skin that can turn into pimples.

I've also had oily skin all my life and would have never dreamed of putting anything with oil on my face. Yet, it works great. If I have any kind of outbreak at all, I make sure I rub coconut oil on it to speed up the recovery back to normal. Also, a constant application of coconut oil can get rid of moles. You keep a small coconut oil-soaked bandaid over the mole for a few days to two weeks and the mole goes away.

Also, I'm curious about the comedogenic ratings you are talking about. Does the information say they used Virgin Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil? If not, then I'd be suspect about just a rating for generic coconut oil because they are most definitely not the same.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Regarding anecdotal evidence, the 'anecdotes' and testimonials for coconut oil are staggering. I definitely trust the many thousands of them from a huge number of sources with virtually no cons or downsides aside from the fact that the pharma industry loses out. Sometimes, science is overrated.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Canned coconut milk is to die for.

So true! I've just recently got myself a few cans and had no idea how sweet yet hearty it is. I had a delicious smoothie with it just using a little orange juice and frozen fruits. And just now I drenched my oatmeal with it and it's fantastic! Next I'll need to hunt down some fresh coconuts for the meat.

I just love my new coconutty lifestyle. I think we Americans have gotten too used to dried coconut flakes being coconut. But there's so much more to enjoy!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
:)

I'm constantly replenishing my stock of canned coconut milk. I add it to many things. It's just wonderful. I add it to eggs, as a soup base, into smoothies, mashed potatoes, over my irish oatmeal, too!

As a soup base, it's simply awesome. A can of coconut milk add whatever and whatever seasonings.

Or saute whatever (onions, carrots, celery in coconut oil), blend, back to the pan, add tomatoes & water, cook a little more (blend) and add coconut milk and chopped fresh basil--awesome tomato basil soup. (My latest favorite recipe).

Or saute a some fresh mushrooms and onions in coconut oil, add coconut milk, blend, awesome creme of mushroom soup. Season as you see fit.

Don't forget that if you buy fresh coconuts, don't get the ones with the brown husks--too old. You want the young coconuts--in the kind of big looking white husks.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
At the health store today (buying my next jar of coconut oil) I found these great Coconut Bars. They are pure coconut flakes held together with brown rice syrup. The brand is Oskri. It was an exciting find.

Also, the other day I had a terribly peely sunburn. One application of C.O. and it never peeled again and turned into a beautiful tan.

I think the only thing coconut oil can't do is rub my feet and do the dishes.

Teresa- My husband has gallstones. I've been reading mixed views on whether or not coconut oil is beneficial for them or makes them worse. Have you happened across any info about the topic in any books?

And Ly- I've been wondering if the C.O. has given you any relief for your health problems?

leebee

Cavy Gazer
T, you have created a monster in Steve. He is so excited. He went to Trader Joes and bought all kinds of frozen fruit to make smoothies with, and he asked me to go to Whole Foods today to get the oil and more coconut milk for smoothies. TJ's only had the light milk. I read most of the Coconut Oil Miracle yesterday and am on board too!

BTW, he loved the carob macaroon madeleine! He had it for breakfast on Saturday. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.