Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I have been a vegetarian for about 6 weeks now but I've eaten meat twice. I still have fish because I'm growing and I need some sort of protein. I've realised I've become so healthy now, I eat vegetables 3-4 times a week now, and before I used to eat them once.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Good going! Even if you still ate meat twice a week instead of every day, it's better to concentrate on what you are doing to make a difference. Nice work on the veggies too - bet teh pigs aren't pleased if you're tucking in to their stash!

Are you finding it hard, or has it been fine?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I felt so bad because I finished all their carrots yesterday! I've found it very easy to be a vegetarian, easier than I thought. All my friends are complaining because they think I need tons of protein and they are saying being a veggie is bad. How can it be? I get so annoyed when they see not eating meat is bad. Anyway.... its been good =)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I've been veggie for two months now, yay! It's great.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Well done! Have you managed to sort out veggie ways of getting the protein you need for sport and stuff?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Treen! Yes, I have sorted it out, but I'm still eating fish on the rare occasion. I've found powerbars and balance bars along with vitamins are helping well.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I had to laugh when I read the first post in this thread ... when someone said that his/her dad thought vegetarianism was just a phase. I laughed because that is exactly what my mom said about *me* when I was ten years old. She was convinced my vegetarianism was just a fad and that I would outgrow it. Well, I'm 26 years old now, and not only am I still a vegetarian, but I also do not wear leather or fur and I don't use any products tested on animals. My poor mom ... not only was she wrong about me, but my sister and brother-in-law went vegetarian 4 years ago also.

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
Yeah everyone thinks you'll grow out of it. I didn't go vegetarian till I was 23 and out on my own, and it'll be 3 years in May with no meat. My dad respects it a lot but can't do it himself. My mom doesn't talk about it. My brother saw Meet Your Meat and got hungry for steak. He's not the most sensative. Other friends and family just think it's weird. I only know one other vegetarian in my area. And am surprised vegetarians are allowed to live in Texas. I thought eating meat was a requirement for living there. :)

Chris

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
A whole bunch of people would agree that eating meat should be a requirement to live in Texas. <grin> Of course, a whole lot of Texans also think if you aren't republican, you shouldn't be here. Being a liberal vegetarian, I've heard a number of choice remarks, but the one that takes the cake was, "You're a [insert obscenity here] communist - go back to China." Charming. :)

It is diffcult being a vegetarian in Texas, the cattle capital of the world. But in some ways, I think it's good because I have the opportunity to help educate people ... and conversation never lacks for a little controversy. :)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That *was* charming. It would have been even more so if you were Chinese. Good job, keep it up!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I agree with Susan9608. I got it in writing now that my friend will be a vegetarian. She has attempted 2 times before. My other friend doesn't eat as much and says that eating meat is kinda nasty now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.