Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
I'm not a vegitarian but i do eat less meat because of deseases and bacteria that can develop throught processing (like hamburger) my fave vegitarian food are these soy burgers i get at Save On Foods they are the only ones i've tried that don't taste like rubber and have taste! and they taste sooooo good. Plus i also eat meatless hotdogs because they aren't made of who knows what from a pig.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Wow, yesterday was my first day! I think it will be ok, I don't eat beef anyway and I'm not a huge fan of pork. Its just chicken. What did I eat yesterday... I had cereal, pasta with qourn and green pepper curry (sounds weird, but tasted lovely) with rice

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
My favorite thing to order at Burger King is a number 1. Which is a whopper, with medium frie and medium soda. I get it with Cheese, and NO meat. My friend told me about it, and I thought it would be gross, until I tried it! It's very good... I don't eat fast food often, but if you like Burger king and you don't want to eat meat anymore you should try it.

I'd stay away from the Big Mac with no meat though...I'm not a fan =(

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
lol. i just cant imagine a HAMburger with no meat. lol.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't think that's great. Only use it if you NEED to, because even though you aren't eating the meat, the money you paid still goes to the killers.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I have been a vegetarian on & off for the past six years. I think I first started considering it due to a close friend from high school. She's a Jane. For those of you that aren't familiar with that religion, Jane's are vegan. They are raised vegan & many will have never eaten meat their entire lives. Being a Jane also means that you can't eat anything that grows underground (potato's, carrots...). You can't keep pets either because they feel that that infringes on animal rights too.

Although I never went to that extreme (I wouldn't have found this forum if I did) it made me consider vegetarianism. I can't stand any kind of animal abuse & felt like my eating meat was hypocritical. I spent about a year of eating only chicken & fish before cutting off all meat. It was never that hard a decision to make because I hate most kinds of meat (I've never eaten a burger at any fast food place, for instance). I generally ate salads, pasta, rice & special veggie dishes like tofu. I kept that till about two years ago when it started when it started to influence my health.

Since then I eat fish again. I don't call myself a vegetarian anymore either, although other people do call me that. I don't think I will stop eating fish, but I have a lot of respect for people who do. So I wish anyone who is considering vegetarianism good luck. Yummy things don't need to have meat in them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm kind of with you on the fish thing. I'm having a harder time giving up fish.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's possible to not give money to Animal Killers. For instance, we would have to stop shopping at any and all places that carry anything with animal bi-products. We wouldn't be able to shop at the mall, because some of the stores might sell leather, fur, wool...etc. We couldn't go to a regular grocery store to buy Vegetarian stuff either, because they sell Milk, Eggs, Cheese, Meat...etc, or resturaunts that also serve Non-vegetarian dishes. Our purchases in some way do provide profit to the places and people who are in the business of making money off of Animals.

Piglet

Cavy Slave

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I understand that it is extremely hard, but you can do it if you're determined enough. For example, there are food shops that don't sell animal products. You don't need to buy things with animal byproducts in them, or that are tested on animals.

And although this is extremely difficult, at least do your part and try to reduce the amount you need to give them. Thanks a ton, and I respect your thoughts.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oh, and about the fish--there is fake fish out there! You can try some of that if you'd like. You aren't a vegetarian if you eat fish. Would you like to know about fish? How they are caught, for example? If you do, I can provide you with links.

Oh, and yes, I *do* currently eat fish, but it is not my will. My body has a hard enough time getting enough protein even when I did eat meat. Now that I have just started out, I need to find a store that sells veggie products. Until then, I need the protein in fish to get complete protein, though I truly don't like it at all. I'm dropping it asap!

Treen

Cavy Slave
citronsoul said:
For those of you that aren't familiar with that religion, Jane's are vegan. They are raised vegan & many will have never eaten meat their entire lives.

I find Jainism quite an interesting religion. I don't know how it works in practise in modern life , but traditionally they wouldn't even drink water until the sun had risen, so as to avoid accidentally eating an insect that had fallen in to the water during the night.

Fake fish sounds .....er ..... interesting! When I was first considering going vegan, I tried a soya cheese product called 'Scheese' - oh my!! Needless to say it didn't make me want to give up cheese!

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I have an Am doing my part to reduce the money that I give these people. And I actually couldn't sleep last night because of your comment yesterday. I tried thinking of all the possible things that I buy, and pay for that actually have an effect on the meat industry. It's sad to say that there is alot. There is no way that I can force my boyfriend to not eat meat, and yes when we go out to eat I have paid for his meal. I pay rent to someone who eats meat also, and wears leather. I work for a University who does test on animals, am I supposed to quit my job and live on the street? I think your initial reply came off as being a little on the harsh side. I've been not eating meat, buying things tested on animals/or containing animal by products for years. I volunteered at an animal shelter while going to college full time, I have fostered homeless animals, and been to numerous MSPCA fund raising events. So until all of society can wake up and stop abusing animals, there really is NO way to not be in some way giving money to the animal industry.

I Do apologize for the really long thread, and if I've offended anyone. I just don't think it's right to jump down someone's throat when you know nothing of them.

Thank you.

Treen

Cavy Slave
No one (even those who try, and I certainly don't!) can be perfect. The point is you carry on doing what you can and what suits you and your lifestyle, and don't think 'Well, I can't change it all, so what's the use doing anything?' because everyone makes a difference. I could beat myself up about eating dairy products but I don't want to - I know by not eating meat I make some difference and will just keep all the issues about eating dairy etc in mind and perhaphs make other decisions when I feel it's right for me.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Really good point, Treen. Every time you do one little thing to make a difference, you really are making a difference. I'm really impressed with the growing sections in the regular supermarkets of the vegetarian options. The supply and demand, market-driven aspects of making little personal changes and choices are definitely having an impact.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Again, I totally understand that you cannot make everything vegan in this world just yet, and I understand that you are always giving money to the meat industry in some way or another. However, it's what you DO about that knowledge that counts. For example, if you just decide to give up because "it's all going to them anyway", then you are not really attempting to stop the industry in any way. I'm all for trying as best as I possibly can, and if it makes a difference in teh life of one animal my goal has been reached.

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone I actually registered just to talk about vegetarianism. Sometimes we aren't so popular with the mainstream. But for the record, as a child I did own Guini Pigs.

I was a punk rock guy in my early 20's and I listened to Goldfinger. The band is all vegetarian and they started to talk about it at shows. So I checked it out, out of curiosity. Just to give you some background, I was a huge meat eater. I ate everything and anything that was meat. Some of you might not know, but at most restaraunts you can order a steak by the ounce. And I was one of those guys eating a 32oz. steak. After looking into vegetarianism one night I decided I was gonna do it.

Since that day I have not touched meat. No beef, pork, fish, chicken, seafood...nothing!!! I'm happy to say it's been almost 3 years now and I don't miss meat at all. Being a musician myself I do get poked fun at a lot. Just don't let it discourage you. You're all doing great just by talking about it. Even if you aren't going to switch now, or never will. The point is that you understand the issues and what is at stake. If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Nice to meet you all,
Chris

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome Chris. Nice to have you here. How did you find the forum?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome, Chris! It's awesome that you joined to talk with us, we could use a few more vegetarians. I am still shocked that it's such a popular topic; I had no idea when I started the thread, and now it's got it's own forum section. (Thanks Teresa!)

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
You know, it wasn't that long ago (today) but I took a nap and completely forgot how I did stumble in here. But what I do know is....I did a google search for something, and came to a post about guini pigs swimming. And some people were for it, and some were against it. Personally I'm sure that some of them have got to like to swim. Even leopards will swim sometimes, most animals will. But you all brought up good points on both sides.

Now no one talked about this and I'd like to see it discussed. Would they prefer swimming in Lemonade? Watery and also very good to drink. I'm just kidding for the record, don't go out doing it. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Chris

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.