Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Is there a vet in the house?

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Don't worry - I'm not asking for online vet advice.

It's that time where I have to choose a place to do 2 weeks of work-experience. I was thinking of going to a vet's practice as that is what I have wanted to be for a long time. I'm still not sure though so I was wondering if anyone here is/was a veterinary surgeon/vet nurse (I think that is the name...) who could tell me the sorts of things you deal with regularly.

It would help me out a great deal and any input is appreciated. Of course I have looked at other sites but they don't really tell you what it is like to actually WORK there, experiences and stuff.

Thanks again.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Piglet would be the best to advise on this I think. She has done a great amount of work experience in vets as she is starting a degree in vet med later this year.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll PM her.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
If you are thinking of becoming a vet- definitely go work for/with one. It's quite different than most people think and besides, when getting in to vet school the more experience you have with hands-on under a DVM/ VMD the better. In fact- if you like the vet you work with for these 2 weeks, set up like a summer thing with him/her so that you can get a really good recommendation when you apply. You can PM me, too, if you have questions. I don't know what you mean about things that happen regularly- like what's a typical case? how irritating are owners? are your bosses somewhat flighty? are you constantly tempted to adopt out animals? (answer key: check-up or hit-by-car, very, yes and it never ends) :D

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I would love to be a vet nurse

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi! So sorry for the late response, haven't been on here for a while. Eek, you've probably already done the work experience, so please share what you saw and what you thought of the job :)

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the late reply from me too - haven't been on the UK board much.

I haven't actually don't it yet - July 2008 I have to wait until, the plamnning has to be done a whole year early though! I have decided to go to a vet for one week and an optician for the other. I wan't to see what it is like working with people in a specific medical field as well as animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.