Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Piggies favorite foods

I was thinking the other day what my piggies favorite foods are and I couldn't really think of any one thing. My piggies eat everything but Asparagus. They will literally take the Asparagus and chuck it over their heads. I tried for the first time the other day eggplant and my girls devoured it like hay. So far this is the list of everything they will readily devour: carrots, turnips, kolhrabi, routabaga, parsnips, eggplant, zuccini/squah, green/yellow beans, peas, all lettuces/leafy greens, all colors bell peppers, artichoke, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, all fruits, you name they eat it.

Does anyone else have piggies that will eat everything and anything?

Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Piggies favorite foods

Michigan's favorite is green bell pepper, and Madison's fave is cilantro. But, they do eat pretty much anything and everything. For a while they wouldn't eat cherry tomatoes, but lately I've tried putting them in again and they eat them now. That's hilarious that yours throw the asparagus because they don't like it! By the way, what is kolhrabi?

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 3 girls are picky. The only things I have found that they like is: any leafy greens, parsley, cilantro, baby carrots, radishes, all kinds of bell peppers, sometimes cucumbers, and love fresh picked dandilion stalks. Lucky (or unlucky, depends on how you see it) I have a neighbor that does absolutely nothing with their yard so there are always some dandilions to pick.

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just thought of more foods that my girls will devour in no time, cherry tomatoes, sweet baby corn(miniature corn cobs) celery, broccoli, cailiflower, bean sprouts, yams, all herbs but thyme,(they just pick at it) and grapes. Things that I haven't tried yet but will soon are Beets, Okra, Radishes, Pumpkin and sweet poatoe. Kohlrabi is in the same family as cabbage I believe. My piggies will even eat dog food. I caught my nephew feeding them dry dog food, the scary thing about that is they loved it. They got mad when I tried to take it way from them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I was a kid, one of my first pigs got ahold of some dog food and ate it. Then he drank some water and got so bloated that I thought he was going to explode. I was about 7 and I ran screaming and bawling to my mom that something was wrong with my pig. That was a long time ago and I don't remember if the pig ended up being ok or not but it sure scared me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    137 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Both of my pigs absolutely LOVE carrots, and they'll eat pretty much any other fruits and veggies as well as leafy greens and forages like grass and dandelion leaves.

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Update: I re-tried the Asparagus to see if Pinkie will eat it and she did, she loved it. Now all my piggies are eating it....yahoo for Pinkie for showing the other girls how to enjoy Asparagus!! I bought fresh Anise and they are all loving it. I would like to try beets but I am afraid they will make a mess with it. It will probably look like a bloody masacure when they are done with it. Has anyone tried Beets with thier piggies? Can anyone suggest other foods I can try with my girls?

Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My pigs eat everything I've tried except zucchini. They leave it in a pile for me to take away. Also, I find they get spoiled, so if I give them green pepper every day for a week they start turning their noses to it. If their begging for a treat and I give them something "too ordinary", they'll take it out of my hand and just let it fall out of their mouths, and beg for another--better--treat! They're so cute!

Thanks
    Thanks
    168 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kale is the big favourite here, honestly I think they'd turn their noses up at all other veggies if I allowed them to have it every day!

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am trying to keep their diet as varied as possible. I don't want them to get sick of the samething everyday. Would Speghetti squah be good to feed to my girls?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, my pig is new to me but so far I can tell he definitely does not like oranges, he pulls them out and leaves them. He also doesn't like peas, the picky little piggy. His previous owner didn't feed him anything fresh except carrots so he would eat his weight in carrots if I would let him.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,400 Rec'd/1,916 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I feed beets once and a great while, they aren't as messy as you'd think. The girls really enjoyed them but they are really high in sugars. They really enjoy beet tops too.

The one thing I gave my girls once that I will never give again is pomegranite. Very messy and it looked like they had blood splatter all over them when they were done.

The only things I have found my girls will refuse to touch is yellow squash and collard greens.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ly, how were the seeds in the pomegranates?
    I've never tried feeding them because I thought the seeds were a no-no.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,400 Rec'd/1,916 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I tried to pick out the seeds and give the fleshy part. I don't recommend pomegranites at all just because of the huge mess.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can see that being a big mess picking out the seeds and all. Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will stay away from the Pomegranties than, thanks for the heads up LY. My girls have tried and like all the squash I've given them which is Acorn, butternut, zuccini squash, yellow squash. I would like to have them try speghetti squash. My neighbor grows a fruit called Paw-paw, has anyone ever heard of it? It tastes kind of like banana. I would like to try that with the piggies. A couple years ago I grew purple bell peppers, my kids loved them, I wonder if they would be good to feed to my piggies. I just want to keep my girls diet as varied as possible.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My boys love red and green peppers as well as peaches and tomatos. Whenever I get out a tomato, the piggers start to squeel and my cat comes running. (my cat loves tomatos too)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 3 girls aren't that picky - they'll all eat anything except corn on the cob, beetroot and courgette (zucchinni). Whenever I feed them lettuce, cucumber, peppers and grass they're all gone in 10 seconds flat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I tried the speghetti squash with my girls and it went over very well. The loved it....I think they want more.

Thanks
    Thanks
    195 Rec'd/123 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All 6 of my pigs will eat any veggie or fruit put in front of them as well. I can't really think of anything they just flat out won't eat. There are some things that they don't care for as much--like green beans--They do eat them, but they almost always save them for last, when all the good stuff is gone. They definitely have their favorites too, and the VERY favorite varies from pig to pig... They all agree though, that carrots, lettuce, and bell peppers are the best things ever and must be eaten in exactly the order listed. They will inevitably dump their veggie basket and dig those things out first before acknowledging anything else. If I happen to be out of any of the 3, I will get wheek'ed and duly cold shouldered until I produce the goods.

User Tag List