Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Scandinavia I'm stunned!

Lillatrasdockan

Cavy Slave
I just found this site and I've just realized how big of a difference it's between Sweden and how we keep our rabbits and guinnypigs compared to the UK. The opinions and how we keep them is most of the times the opposite. Some other Swede that have realized that too? If you have, then what do you think about it? Do you think we should think more like the people in the UK or do you guys think it's better here in Sweden? =)

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Hi,
How do you keep them in Sweden? Welcome to the forum.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Nobody can say one country thinks better than the other, but we can say how we believe an animal should be cared for. The founder of this site has done resarch, and found that the cages she has come up with makes a big difference in how a guinea pig thrives. Animals living outside are put in great danger, starting with weather to animal predators, to human predators that steal them, or let them out of their enclosure. Also if they get sick it is harder for you to notice.

Lillatrasdockan

Cavy Slave
Hi,
How do you keep them in Sweden? Welcome to the forum.

here most of the people say it's wrong to have rabbits inside casue they are suppose to be outside running and stuff like that. I'm not saying everyone say that but a lot :) And I think so too, I think that rabbits should be outside so they can run, dig, and everything like they should do. But I love the cages you have on this page. I have kind of one like that in my room for one of my rabbits. I have a lot of my animals insed during the wither but outside during the summer. But with guinnypigs everyone have them inside all year around, they can't take the cold winter here in sweden.

Lillatrasdockan

Cavy Slave
Nobody can say one country thinks better than the other, but we can say how we believe an animal should be cared for. The founder of this site has done resarch, and found that the cages she has come up with makes a big difference in how a guinea pig thrives. Animals living outside are put in great danger, starting with weather to animal predators, to human predators that steal them, or let them out of their enclosure. Also if they get sick it is harder for you to notice.

That was not what I was asking about. I asked what peoples opinions were :) I think the guinnypigs love those big cages, but I still belive rabbits need to dig, run more and be able to do all those "rabbitthings" they have to do. And I don't think they can do them inside in a cage really, so that's why I keep them outside. I got locks on my cages, they are 80 cm over the ground so no animals can get to them :) or at least no animals that live here, maybe you got other animals where you live? I spend around 8 hours a day with my rabbits and I also go to school in a class that prepere people to become vets and things like that, so we learn everything about sickness and that stuff which helps a lot =) so please understand that my english ain't that good and it might be easy to missunderstand me, and that I didn't mean to compare countries, just see what people think =)

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
My rabbits really enjoy going outside as well. They love digging and rolling in the grass/dirt, etc. They love foraging in the garden for dandelions and grass. But I do bring them in as you do during winter because I feel it's too cold and wet. I also make sure they are secured at night so animals cannot get to them. I have a large dog run with chain length fencing and a cedar roof for one bunny. Another has the run of our work shed at night and when I cannot supervise him in the garden. And the last one is in a hutch but I am determined to find a better situation for him. I think the hutch is too boring and small even though it is secure.

My yard has 6 feet fencing around it and it not visible from the street in any possible way. If it was I would bring them all in at night and lock the work shed.

I do agree they enjoy the outdoors a lot. They are rabbits and they love running, love the fresh air, sun, birds. I also do wish I could bring them indoors but I have allergies and asthma. If I could bring them inside the house they would have the best of both worlds. I hate the fact I have one in a hutch. Arugh.

My concern with having rabbits inside is that it would be too hot. I do have the workshed heated - that is where they all go in the winter - but I have it only as high as 15 degree celcius. When I do occassionaly bring them inside to see if my allergies have abated they start panting. Of course, this could be do to being scared.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.