Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

All you hamster experts.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm not to familiar with hamsters and these are my sisters so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. On of them is about a year old and on her tummy its bascially blad. Like it's not all the way but it is just a little bit. She also has a littel scratch on her tummy. We put a new hamster in there about a month ago and wondering if hamsters can have mice. Can they? Thnaks for reading and any suggestions.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Yes they can get mites, and just a quick question, are they dwarfs or syrains?

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
They are not syrians I know this for sure. I know one of them is a teddy but I'm not sure. If you want I can get pics. I'm not to smart in the hamster section.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Well I've always associated teddy as another name for a syrian! Pics would probably be best. If they aren't fighting they're dwarf russians or chinese probably.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Ok...here are some pictures and that may help. ANyone who can help please I just want to make sure their healthy again.

guineapigs178.jpg

This is Honey. This is the one with the really kind blad belly. If you need a picture of that I can get that as well.

guineapigs179.jpg

guineapigs180.jpg

And that is Dutchess. Sorry she's a baby and it was hard getting a good pic of her.

Thank-you everyone and if you have any advice please. Any help is useful.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Those are both syrians and should not be together, they will fight to the death, the scratch on the belly could be due to scratching herself or fighting. I wonder, how big is their cage cos I have heard of 2 syrians living together once and their cage was huge but personally I wouldn't risk it.

The bald belly sounds funny and personally I'd get them both to the vet for mite treatment. However it may not be mites as they can get fur loss on the belly as they age which is basically after 1 year and this could be the case.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well I've looked around on google for picks and I have seen scratches on one of their noses and will end up most likely separating.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Yes both are Syrains, Teddy and Panda bears are just a few names people mistakingly call them.
I would seperate, you have been lucky for minor injurys, it is not uncommon for Syrains to fight to the death they are VERY solitary.
They scratches could be from fighting, old age, mites, or another disease, if it gets worse I would take them to the vet.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Yes they are definately Syrian hamsters - and you MUST separate them NOW unless you want one dead hamster, They are solitary animals, extremely territorial and will kill eachother without a second thought. Please get them into separate cages today.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
All of the above are correct. That being said, my childhood hamster died after getting a bald spot on her shoulder. She was about 3 and was very well taken care of. Being small and my parents not knowing better, she didn't go to the vet but I suspect now that it may have been due to cancer-not a skin problem. Seperate them and if the hair does show improvement soon, I would take her to the vet.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Yes, they are both Syrians (as everyone above has already said) and they need to be separated as soon as possible. They cannot live together under any circumstances, as they are solitary!

You might want to think about taking them both for a vet check even if the scratch gets better.. A first checkup is always a good thing..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.