Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: .....Signs of pregnancy.....

The diffence in shape between her and Bitsy is quite obvious, so I think she's probably pregnant. But I think you figured that out already
    She's such a cute pig, I hope all goes well! Well done for getting everything ready and being prepared. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You most likely won't end up needing a birthing box and towels. They usually give birth at night or when you're not watching. They will be perfectly fine in the cage, just be sure to baby proof it. Definitely do not use kitten milk for them. They start eating almost immediately even if the mother happens to reject them. It's very easy to aspirate when handfeeding such young babies, so encouraging them to eat on their own is best.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok Its if she neglects or their week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If they are absolutely refusing to eat, then try feeding them some critical care off of a spoon first. They should not be getting fed kitten milk. If they see mom or any other pigs eating, they are very eager to try themselves. Mine ate veggies within the first day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please do NOT feed them the kitten milk. It is completely not necessary and contains dairy products (either liquid or solids) that can actually be bad for them. If you notice the mother rejecting them, make sure they are drinking water and eating pellets and hay. It's much more important that you make sure they have either alfalfa pellets or hay or both and some higher calcium veggies. That is for mom and babies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank I use it as a majour emergency then. If the baby needs somthing to keep it going then that will be the first thing I do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, do not use it at all. It will do much more harm than good. If there's an extreme emergency, get the baby to the vet to get on an IV.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I wont use it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    196 Rec'd/124 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My sow rejected her 3 babies. She wouldn't let them even attempt to nurse at all and for the first 2 weeks they were with her she did everything possible to stay away from them completely. I think she was just freaked out and didn't understand why these 3 little creatures were trying to get up under her and follow her everywhere.
    Supplementing the pups wasn't necessary at all. They were drinking water, eating hay, and stealing their moms lettuce within an hour of being born. The only thing I made sure to do was provide them with plenty of calcium rich items such as parsley, kale, and alfalfa for their bone growth. They thrived even though their mom never once nursed them.
    Guinea pig babies aren't born totally dependent on their mom the way kittens or puppies are. They are born fully furred, walking, eyes open, and are equipped with the teeth and ability to eat pellets, hay, and veggies.. Those 3 things along with water will sustain them with all that they need.

10. "Thank you, this_lil_piggy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks that helped, My piggie is acting strange like doing circles trying to get comfy, shivering, making other noises and is not comfortable, shes also moving her bottom alot. Whats does that mean?
    I was thinking if she might have one baby and it does not take up as much room as three or two and we did not relize until it started to grow, maybe she only has one and its ready to come out? Is that possible?

Getting.cavys

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any ideas its really important that I know.

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like she maybe in labor....

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't seen where you've weighed her since you first suspected she was pregnant to see if/what her increases in weight are? Weighing our pigs every week should be standard practice anyway.

Good luck.

EDITED:
    OOPS - I wrote this before finishing the thread. Apologies - it seems as if my question may be too late.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no worrys. When can I pick up Isty after she has given birth? I dont want to her her you know whats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are prey animals, so will not show many obvious signs of labor. Usually, you'll walk out of the room for ten minutes and come back in and there will be a few more faces looking back at you. They will usually do it when they feel the safest, so usually when you're not around.

You can pick up mom and babies soon after the birth.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    163 Rec'd/136 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Keep a good eye on her. If she seems to be in pain or distress then call your vet. If she is eating and moving around - seems alert and not in pain then she is probably fine. I didn't actually see the labour when Cookie had her three babies - I walked in about 2 min too late to see the last one born - but I did see the third placenta come out. Yes, it's possible she only has one baby and that would make it quite large by the time she gives birth - thus increasing the chances for complications. However, if she is ready to give birth, you would definately have been able to feel the baby moving around inside her. You said you felt a golfball sized lump in her, but you never said you felt any movement. If you can't feel movement yet, then she probably isn't close to delivering yet - unless the unthinkable has happened and the baby died inside her (sorry to say it but it can happen). Another thing that will tell you she's close to delivering is that the baby will move down into the birth canal. You know your guinea pig - if she seems to be in distress, take her to the vet. Call and explain what's happening to the vet and see what they say to do.

I was so worried when Cookie was pregnant, and she actually bled a little a couple weeks before the birth (it was her second litter). I took her to the vet for my own peace of mind and you might want to do that too. Everything turned out to be normal and just fine - but I felt better knowing the vet had checked her out and the babies were fine and so was she.

One thing I did notice when Cookie got far along in her pregnancy, is that she would rub her bum on the bottom of the cage to expel her poos and then she would turn around and eat it off the cage floor. She got too big I guess to get them normally. I noticed just before she went into labour that she expelled a LOT of poos and was eating them constantly. I don't know if that's a sign or might be what your piggie is doing, but keep an eye on her and if she shows ANY signs of being in a lot of pain, or not eating, not pooping, or not drinking, get her to a vet asap!!!!

As for picking her up, I personally picked Cookie up every day until she had the babies...but then I didn't pick her up while the babies were little - I would say give her a few days after the baby (or babies) is born to settle down before trying to pick her up - it's probably best if she's left undisturbed - but you can pick the babies up right away - they will bond with you if you handle them frequently while they are little. The main reason I didn't pick Cookie up while the babies were little was because I had another sow in the cage, Ducky, and she would run at the babies for the first week...and if I took the Mom out, Ducky would go at the babies and Mom would get upset - so I just didn't pick her up except when I cleaned the cage - until after the babies were a couple weeks old.

You know to separate any male baby from any females by 21 days old right??? It's very important - otherwise he could impregnate the Mom or any other sows you have.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing!!!!

18. "Thank you, clotho, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The thing with the baby moving I dont not what kind of movement im waiting for. I have felt the baby but all I feel moving is itsy heart beat .

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thats really not neccesary. As long as you don't ahve a male pig she can stay in her normal living arangement. We have a female that has had three litters (long story, before she was "mine") and every one went perfectly fine. Her first litter she did have one not make it but that isn't unusual for an unexperienced mother. The next two went of without a hitch. I doubt you have any complications unless she is the wrong age.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have another female with my itsy called bitsy. They arent the best of freinds all I can do is try her with them for 30 minutes see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ill keep you all posted.
    Getting.cavys

User Tag List