Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Soon to be cavy owner-needs advice

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone one! I really am wanting to get a guinea pig because they looks so adorable and seem like the perfect pet..require work and commitment but would be worth it. I have a table I was going to put the "cage" on but the table is only 22 1/2'' by 14 3/4'' . would like to make a C&C cage (would need a top if it was close to the ground because we have a dog). The problem is my fiance' and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment not a lot of room. We do have some but not enought to make a huge cage. Was just wondering if any one had a good idea because would really love to have a guinea pig.

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of using the cubes to make a stand but not sure how I would do that. any suggestions please?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
make a 2x3, and add several levels. see dacourt's pictures for more info.

and...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
thank you! I thank I partially answered my own question i got to measuring the 30'' x 36 and that actually isnt that huge of a size.. could make it fit where i use to have my fish tank (before the fish died, had to leave on vacation for a few days and they all died :( , but with cavies i can take them with me. mainly go to my parents up north. just have to take some supplies and convert their spare room into a cavy room).

also any one have good advice abt making a stand for a c&c cage and for adding levels.. ect.. would really like all the info i can get before making one

Last edited:

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
You should browse the photo albums to get idea for your cage.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
If you don't have a lot of room floor time may be a problem.

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
floor time wont be a problem. can block off the hallway and part of the living room so they can have a running are and stuff

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can check my pictures! =)

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Make sure all of the grids are hooked together completly or you cage will fall apart. If you look in all the photo albums you will get some good ideas.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
Trust me you, have enough space. I'm in a dorm room about 10' by 17' that I share with a roommate. I raised my bed up and Fifi (cavy) and Tinkerbell (hamster) live under there quite comfortably (I'm trying to get Fifi a friend or two, also). Generally though, if I'm in the room the cage is open and she can go whereever she wishes in the room (usually in her cage because she's shy). I don't know if this helps or not but let us know how things turn out.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yes, let us know!

liluqt

Cavy Slave
Good luck! I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Like everybody else said, just browse through the photo albums. It's just like a puzzle, you can make the stand by fitting the grids underneath the cage :) Everything will fit together!

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
thanks i have some great ideas now.. i have a idea.. we have this cage for our lil dog (the size of the top of it is just slightly smaller than the min size for a cavy cage.. so was thinking of building the cavy cage and putting it ontop of that and using the extra blocks to make a second or even third level for it.. gotta save the money though to get everything first.. then will get my cavy.. dont wanna get one without having all the stuff necessary

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oh, and one cavy is not an option. You need to get them in pairs. They are social animals and need companionship. Please read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm for more information. Thanks!

Tigeron

Cavy Slave
not a problem. was actually going to do that. was actually going to contact a local rescue and see if they had a pair that they needed to have adopted once i get everything set up

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yes, pairs are better, and if you can only find unbonded singles, try to get them to get along with each other.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, great! Remember to read the link though, for quarantine and intro info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.