Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed petstore treats?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Most treats that you buy from petstores aren't good for your cavies. Many contain high amounts of sugars that can lead to diabetes. Many contain harmful preservatives such as ethoxyquin, BHT and others. Many contain animal fats, corn oils, corn syrups, and dairy products- all of which are not good for cavies.

Cavies are lactose intolerant and should receive no dairy products of any kind. They are also strict herbivores so any animal products are to be explicitly avoided.

There are also treat sticks that contain seeds and nuts which cavies should not have due to choking hazards and the obesity factor.

The best treats you can give your piggies are fresh veggies and the occasional piece of fruit.

Hamingja

Cavy Slave
Since pet store treats are not good for your pig, can you tell me what are your cavys' MOST FAVORITE treat of all??? specifically what fruit and/or veg?? :?:

thank you,
Jen

Fay

Cavy Slave
Each pig has a different taste, It's up to you to try different vegetables and fruits according to the instructions on the nutrition chart. That way you will figure out which each pig prefer. You can have a couple of pigs with each preferring something else!

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Its amazing how piggies love different vegies and fruit! My Sugar doesn't like strawberries at all, whilst my little Spicey baby loves them! My sweetheart little Guinea Pig, Sugar however loves carrots and edvine lettuce, while Spicey just eats them, but doesn't like them as much!

Its amazing!

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
I agree with Ly&Pigs on this 100%.
I used to give my guinea pigs those things, and they never got negative health benefits, though. Why? Because they never ate them!
And if they did, it wouldn't have been good for them anyway. Those things contain I don't know what! Visible, though: sunflower seeds, bits of dried banana (can guinea pigs eat banana anyway??) and some unidentifiable powerdy stuff. :yuck:
My piggies favourite treat is the occasional slice of apple. I'm eating apple right now, if I go see my piggies they'll all be licking my fingers!

Florencia

Cavy Slave
LOL my piggies eat treats all the time you know why? Because there's no vegetable they would leave behind, lol :love: there's no basic or regular food, everything's a treat to them..at least that's what it seems for there's nothing they would turn around and look away. You can do what I did, I made myself a list of the most rich and nutritive vegetables (link to one of the friend sites I think it was guinealynx) and then I pasted it on the fridge so I remember everything they like ...everytime I'm having a fruit for after lunch, they start crying mostly begging to me and Im' in the kitchen but they are in the bedroom! what a nose..so I have to go and share ^^:cheerful:
Good luck

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
While it's great to find a special fruit or veggie that your piggy likes the best, make sure to provide a wide range of foods as well. Variety is the key to a healthy piggy diet. Check out the sticky threads in this forum to figure out what to feed and how often. Also, sometimes your piggy will reject a specific veggie at first, but will eventually grow to like it, so persistence is helpful when adding new foods to their diet.

Chomper_Slave

Cavy Gazer
Why would petstores make yogurt drops for guinea pigs if they're lactose intolerant? That seems kind of ignorant, unless there's no lactose in it. I've never read the lables. My pigs don't like them any way.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Why would petstores make yogurt drops for guinea pigs if they're lactose intolerant?
Because most companies that make pet treats don't research the nutritional needs of animals. They are in it to make money first and foremost.

Zenith Cherry

Cavy Slave
Wow. That's really sad. That they use ignorant people by selling them a product that's bad for their animals. You just can't trust Petstores any where. I have a question though. Are smaller petstores better or more trust worthy than the big nation wide ones (PetSmart, Petco, etc.)?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Are smaller petstores better or more trust worthy than the big nation wide ones (PetSmart, Petco, etc.)?
In my opinion, no. Many of the smaller stores still sell many of the same things the larger ones do but some at higher prices.

MuPiggy

Cavy Slave
Is it ok for a guinea pig to have miniature dried corn cob treats?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Is it ok for a guinea pig to have miniature dried corn cob treats?
Sorry, but no.

MuPiggy

Cavy Slave
Why, just curious. IS it the small kernels/choking hazard, or is corn just bad for them?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
First of all, it's dried and only fresh fruits and veggies should be served with the exception of an occasional raisin, cranberry or dried fig. Although I don't know anyone who's ever fed dried or even fresh figs to their pigs.

It's corn and pigs shouldn't have very much of any corn products because they can't digest it well and taken from guinealynx-
Corn products (including corn bran, corn germ, corn gluten, ground corn, etc. There is no legal definition of "corn" alone in animal feed, so it may be any combination of products. Corn is not a normal feed for cavies, may contribute to allergies, and can be high in fat and certain sugars/starch depending on the product. Additionally, some corn is contaminated with deadly aflatoxin which can cause liver failure and death.)

Lastly, yes it has the potential to be a choking hazard.

If you want to feed corn to your pigs, try fresh corn on the cob along with husk and silk, but only feed about 1/2 an ear to 1-2 pigs per week.

Popcorn's pet

Cavy Slave
What about dried papaya? It's made by the Sun Seed company, no additives, but I'm skeptical. (My partner swung by the pet supply store to pick up Oxbow Vitamin C tablets, but our store doesn't sell them; he picked these papaya things up so as not to come home empty-handed. Silly husband!)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Dried fruits contain too much sugar. They aren't suitable as treats. Oxbow makes a papaya tablet that is ok but as for dried papaya, it shouldn't be fed.

Miss-S

Cavy Slave
I give a fresh mix everyday. They all have their faves. If what I give them doesn't contain their fave then they will wheak for a long, long time untill I give in and give it to them. I don't however, although I must admit I used to!

Here is a break down of their faves:

Kofi-Cucumber, Carrot Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Celery (cut very small)
Winky- Strawberrys, Strawberrys, Strawberrys and Cos/Rommaine Lettuce
Marley-Cucumber, Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Kale
Molly-Cos/Rommaine Lettuce and Corn Husks

I usually give them a mix of the above. I tend to also give; Peppers, Boccoli, Cauliflower Leaves, Parsnip, Beetroot, Melon, Okra, swede and Corn Husks are a rare treat. To be honest they are all so picky they leave what they don't want. I tend to give more of the green veg as it is their fave.

SweetLilPiggie

Cavy Slave
I don't buy my guinea piggers petstore treats, I take the time to have floor time with him and feed him veggies as treats (I do give him veggies normaly in his cage but I like play with him and feeding him).

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
It's corn and pigs shouldn't have very much of any corn products because they can't digest it well and taken from guinealynx-
Corn products (including corn bran, corn germ, corn gluten, ground corn, etc. There is no legal definition of "corn" alone in animal feed, so it may be any combination of products. Corn is not a normal feed for cavies, may contribute to allergies, and can be high in fat and certain sugars/starch depending on the product. Additionally, some corn is contaminated with deadly aflatoxin which can cause liver failure and death.)

Lastly, yes it has the potential to be a choking hazard.

If you want to feed corn to your pigs, try fresh corn on the cob along with husk and silk, but only feed about 1/2 an ear to 1-2 pigs per week.
I didn't know this. My pigs love baby corn. Its organic and not dried, just a normal vegetable. Is this not ok?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.