Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed petstore treats?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I will be getting my guinea pig very soon... well, Skinny pig, and I was just wondering if all of this applies to SKINNY pigs as well...

I was also wondering what you all recommend as the best brand of food for a skinny pig. I was thinking Mazuri. Prove me wrong if you can.
Yes it applies as the nutritional needs of all pigs are the same. No petstore treats for any type or breed of pig.

Mazuri is an ok food and an acceptable brand to feed but it's not the best. It's an alfalfa based pellet with corn products. It has to be severely limited in pigs over 6 months to no more than 1/8 cup per day due to high calcium.

Better brands would include Kleenmama's ((broken link removed)), Oxbow ((broken link removed)) and Sweet Meadow pellets.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
The only thing even close to a pet store treat my pigs ever get are hay cakes(oxbow, living world, ect make them).

Triggs

Cavy Slave
My local pet shop is ran by the "RSPCA" and all proceeds go to shelter and protection of Animals etc. So I try to buy as much there as I can. All there toys/treats/foods have been checked and passed by an Animal nutritionist so I assume there all safe. They don't sell the colored hoops or any of the colored treats etc. But they have these "Lucerene Logs" There like a hay log that's been compressed with pressure. No additive's or anything. Being only hay I'd imagine them safe? The Vet there told me they are good too because they gnaw away at them and it keeps their teeth healthy. Do these seem like a good idea?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
those would be fine(I think) because all it is really is tightly packed hay(just like my hay cakes).

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The Vet there told me they are good too because they gnaw away at them and it keeps their teeth healthy. Do these seem like a good idea?

I would think about changing vets because guinea pigs don't need things to gnaw on in order to keep their teeth healthy, they need unlimited amounts of grass hay which helps wear down their back molars. As for these treats being safe I'm not really sure.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Do these seem like a good idea?
What kind of hay is it? And what's the need to have it compressed? You're right that if it's just hay it should be okay but you need to be certain it's just hay without anything else, as you seem to have done. However, if it's alfalfa it should only be given to older pigs on an occasional basis as a treat only. As for the "animal nutritionist," I wouldn't put much stock in it, as who knows what the qualifications s/he has - honestly. There's no reason you can't listen to his/her recommendations, but I'd honestly do my own research before trusting anything I give my animals. And, as Peggy pointed out, the vet there might not be the most reliable source, either.

Piggy_Princess

Cavy Slave
I occasionally give my pig those treat sticks with the nuts and seeds. He loves them, and they make him very happy. Plus, he's not at all obese - in fact, he's a runt, and is currently underweight due to tooth problems that hinder him from eating anything but kibble.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Those nuts and seeds are probably not helping his teeth problems.

I love eating junk food too. Doesn't mean it is good for you.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
What kind of tooth problems? Are you having his teeth taken care of by a good vet? Tooth matters in guinea pigs are serious. He NEEDS to eat. He needs to eat hay and fresh veggies, not just "kibble" (I pray you mean pellets).

Those seed sticks are fatty. The reason your GP is not getting fat from them is not because they are good for your pet. It's because it can't eat properly and is starving! Those seed sticks/treats are also full of sugar--not good since GPs are prone to diabetes. The hulls on the seeds also tend to get caught in the teeth/gums and cause horribly painful infections and abscesses which require risky surgery.

PLEASE, stop giving them to your pig and read the nutrition thread to provide a safe and healthy diet. I also pray that you are having the tooth problems your pet is suffering from treated. If not then do not delay and get your pig to a vet as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Lucerne is alfalfa so those logs are compressed alfalfa hay. Do they have other ingredients in them? If it's just compressed hay they'd be ok as an occasional treat for young pigs but not for older pigs. If they have any ingredients in them other than hay, then no.

Ditto to VJ on the seed and nut treat sticks. Very bad for cavies.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I thought older pigs could have the occasional treat of alfalfa?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I thought older pigs could have the occasional treat of alfalfa?
They can but it's better if it is not fed, especially in pigs who are fed an alfalfa based pellet or pigs who have stones/sludge issues.

eroomlorac

Cavy Slave
I haven't owned piggies in a long time but I do have chinchillas. Is it okay to give a piggie an occasional pinch of old fashioned oats or rose hips? Also, I make homemade chinnie cookies that consist of a "cookie base' of canned pure pumpkin, oat flour, flax seed meal and a dash of blackstrap molasses. Then I mix in flax seeds, rolled oats and barley and bake them at 200 degrees until they are dry and hard. Would these be okay?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I haven't owned piggies in a long time but I do have chinchillas. Is it okay to give a piggie an occasional pinch of old fashioned oats or rose hips? Also, I make homemade chinnie cookies that consist of a "cookie base' of canned pure pumpkin, oat flour, flax seed meal and a dash of blackstrap molasses. Then I mix in flax seeds, rolled oats and barley and bake them at 200 degrees until they are dry and hard. Would these be okay?
Oats no, rosehips yes but they should be fresh. No chin cookies either as cavies are not to have baked goods. Grains are harder for cavies to digest so the flax seeds, oats and barley is not good for them to have.

eroomlorac

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I didn't know that. So, no dried rosehips? It's a good thing they enjoy their veggies so much. That's treat enough. I've also been feeding them a bit or two of carrots when I hold them so they associate being held with good things. I know they shouldn't have a lot of carrots so I just give them a couple bites when I hold them. That limits the carrots and also it's a great treat and bonding experience.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
carrots are a fine treat but they are best if not fed everyday.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
When things are dried, it takes out a lot of the vitamins and that's why anything fed to cavies should be fresh when it comes to veggies or forages.

Carrots really contain very little nutrition and aren't all that beneficial for the pigs. You'd be better off hand feeding some cilantro.

BabySausage

Cavy Slave
I don't know if any of you know of the treat called Yogies?

Are they good for the piggies? They actually taste really good to me and my friends! Which is a little weird...They taste a LOT like vanilla! Is there something bad about that? I'm just wondering :eek:ptimist: They seem like they're legit nutrition, but, then again, I could be wrong! Thanks :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No dairy. They are also very sugar-y. Bad for guinea pigs.

Veggies and a small piece of fruit or carrot is better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.