Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed petstore treats?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Ly is right, gps cannot digest grains very well at all. They should be fed sparingly, if at all.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
The "old fashioned oats" do not expand in their tummies.
The other oatmeals could expand, and therefore are a strict no no.

Best not to feed the old fashioned oats either since it is not good for cavies.
It can be a rare treat, but really, a special veggie or fruit treat would be best.

MotherofGambit

Cavy Slave
Ok, perhaps a silly question. Is it you can only feed fruits in general 1-2 times a week, or it that you can only feed a specific fruit 1-2 times a week. Say I get some apple and grapes. Can I give him a piece of apple twice a week and then a grape twice a week too or no?

Also, my baby makes all sorts of noise if I don't give him fruit (I think he likes the sugar or something). Last night he did it and I gave him some more lettuce (Romaine and this appeased him after a bit). I felt bad though not giving him what he was looking for.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
No. Any kind of fruit once to twice a week.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Since mine go after carrots like crazy, I use that to reward them because it can be given daily. I slice a flavorful baby carrot up into slivers, and give those to them when they do something good. (Like when the shy ones approach me, or when my messy pottier goes where I want them to.)
One goes crazy over green pepper too. Find a favorite veggie and you are set!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ok, perhaps a silly question. Is it you can only feed fruits in general 1-2 times a week, or it that you can only feed a specific fruit 1-2 times a week. Say I get some apple and grapes. Can I give him a piece of apple twice a week and then a grape twice a week too or no?
Yes, that would be fine. A thin slice of apple and 1 grape cut in half for the fruit feeding is ok. I often give two small pieces of fruit to my girls twice per week. One day of the week they may get apple and kiwi and the next time it could be a grape and a piece of watermelon with rind. Just keep the portions small. I usually give them both fruits on the same day and do it twice a week.

BabySnow

Cavy Slave
I'm also upset that companies like 8in1 and Hartz say that they are concerned with your pets health, and then forums like these say they are horrible.

I emailed 8in1 a specific question about yogurt drops for guinea pigs and I'll post their reply here if I get it.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
I know they're made by 8-in-1, but what about the Citrus C orange slices and Tangerine Dream? Here is the ingredient list:

Orange Slice:

Carrot Meal, Dried Orange, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C).

Tangerine Dream:

Dried Tangerine, Alfalfa, Corn Starch, Sodium Alginate, Water, Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C).

Another question I had about food in general; does corn starch count as corn?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feed them anything except their veggies and hay. It's all they need for treats.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I know they're made by 8-in-1, but what about the Citrus C orange slices and Tangerine Dream? Here is the ingredient list:

Another question I had about food in general; does corn starch count as corn?
Did you read any of this thread or just ask the question? Petstore treats are bad, plain and simple. Don't feed them.

I'd count corn starch as a derivative from corn but not as corn itself.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
Ly:

I did read it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't give them to my boys anymore if they were bad since my Mom got me them.

Now that I know they're bad, I'll stop giving them. Thanks.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
Are treats made by the same company as the edible hideys (the clay looking ones with hay on top) bad?

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Yes, and those edible hides are awful. They're basically sugar and saw dust.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
But I have seen them in so many pictures and recommended in at least one thread....

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Do you mean these?

8-in-1 Snak Shak House

The ingredients are Pine wood shaving, cassava starch, alfalfam straw liqui mix (water, sodium alginate, potassium sorbate, propionic acid, honey, glycerin, propylene glycol).

They are really bad. I've seen them in some pictures but I've seen some other awful things in pictures as well. Not everyone who puts pictures on the internet knows what's best for their pets. I don't think anyone should be recommending them, but if they are, then I can only guess they've never looked at the ingredients.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
hhmmm I guess you are right! I just figured they were okay since their so edible.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Any petstore treat, or almost anything that somes out of a petstore, are bad. The companies don't care if the animals are going to be negatively affected by it. They put all of this crap in it like sugar because they know people will buy it seeing that it is edible. Then the pigs are going to fall in love with it because it is so sweet. The owners will keep buying it because they see the animal loves it so much.
Then a few unhealthy treats later...You have a serious possibly fatal medical issue.
I am not saying that if you give them one bad thing in your life that they will be sick, just that you shouldn't be giving them if you know they are bad.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
I am not saying that if you give them one bad thing in your life that they will be sick, just that you shouldn't be giving them if you know they are bad.

yeah well I have decided not to give it to him anymore, even though he loves it SO much, It's like kids and candy though, they love that doesn't mean it should be part of everyday life. Even though they may disagree;)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
But I have seen them in so many pictures and recommended in at least one thread....
If someone recommended them then they don't know what they are talking about. The ones we see in photos, well the slaves are asked to stop giving them because they are bad.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
I say we stick with tried and true what we know is best for our fur babies. Fresh healthy veggies and a good quality pellet. Let us show pet stores that it's unprofitable to sell products that have little benefit to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.