Thread: What's up with the trance-like STARE??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/15 Posts

What's up with the trance-like STARE??

I just wondered if this was normal, can't seem to find any online info about it: A week ago one of my piggies (Chestnut) started staring off into space regularly. I've had her and P.J. for 3 weeks now. She never did this before. It's a strange blank stare off into space that lasts for a little while. When I walk up and start talking to her, she snaps out of it. This can happen whether the room is dark or lit, quiet or not. I take advantage of this time to pet her right in the cage since she's so still but it worries me a little. P.J. doesn't do this. I did notice one boy piggie in a pet store doing that once, it was the only time I've seen this behavior until Chestnut started doing it. Here's some background info if that helps:
    • female
    • 3-4 months old
    • bought in pet store 3 weeks ago
    • was in cage with P.J. and 2 other girls at pet store
    • had a stillborn litter of premature babies 14 days ago (SO SAD!!!)
    • is currently on SMZ-TMP antibiotics prescribed by vet 13 days ago
    • had 2 injections of Ivomec (Ivermectin) for mites, performed by vet 13 days ago and 6 days ago
    • diet includes plain pellets, alfalfa hay, timothy hay, oranges, yellow peppers, green peppers, red peppers (I can't get them to eat any other veggies)
    • 27" x 57" C&C cage (used Aspen pine for the first week but switched to a fleece blanket after that)
    Why would a piggie suddenly start staring? Is it anything to worry about? If someone could point me in a direction, I'd appreciate it! Is there somewhere online I could find out more?

Thanks!
    Debbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Re: What's up with the trance-like STARE??

Check out guinealynx. There is many helpful tips on there. Try writing on a forum there. There are alot of well educated people there. Some one on her can help you out too. :-) good luck

Guinea Lynx :: Forum - Emergency and Medical Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts

Tarzan was famous for that when he was younger, but grew out of it. He would randomly stare into space for minutes at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts

My battlestar tends to do that but she usually stares at me and I just go "Stop stalking me you evil piggy!" and she runs away with a popcorn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    196 Rec'd/124 Posts

She may wind up being a chirper when she gets older. There are piggies who stare blankly in a trance and chirp like a bird. It is unknown what the behavior means for sure, just a lot of speculation.
    Guinea Lynx :: Behavior

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by this_lil_piggy View Post
    She may wind up being a chirper when she gets older. There are piggies who stare blankly in a trance and chirp like a bird. It is unknown what the behavior means for sure, just a lot of speculation.
    Guinea Lynx :: Behavior
    Hmm that's funny because my Battlestar is a chirper and she stares. Could it be related? She is also the dominant pig of the herd. Maybe she's on the look-out for danger and sounds the alarm to warn the other two?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/15 Posts

Ohhhh, come to think of it Chestnut does chirp occasionally -- although it doesn't sound as birdlike as most people describe or as the online sound clips. She did it more often during the time she was (unbeknownst to us) pregnant but I have heard it once or twice since then. The staring didn't start until 2 weeks after the miscarriage. My non-starer P.J. doesn't chirp. Hmmm, interesting ... the Chirper's Trance.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Many pigs sleep with their eyes open and will usually wake up suddenly. They take short naps all throughout the day and night. If you don't realize that the pig is sleeping, a pig will often look like it's staring off into space and/or looks like the pig is in a trance. I have a couple pigs that sleep like this. It's freaky sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts

With Tarzan, he definitely wasn't sleeping. He sleeps contorted into a little ball with his little leg sticking out, he stands like he's on alert and just stares into space until you get right into his face. Now that you mention it, I do have a mystery chirper, Spaz has chirped multiple times, but then someone else did it another time. Maybe it was him.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Peanut does it sometimes. But if I stare at him for long enough he turns around slowly to face me like he's possessed. Pretty creepy. I'm guessing it's just a personality thing. Or Chestnut might be in shock from losing her babies, you never know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts

Yes, my battlestar is definitely awake as she usually stands or moves her head a bit between stares. I think this is really interesting maybe if this is true and chirpers stare and staring is what prey animal do when they think they spotted danger and they are keeping their eyes on it. This means the guinea pig that stares is the guard and that if it's the only one that chirps then chirping must be a warning call.

Or has anyone had multiple guinea pigs in the same cage chirping? Perhaps it could also be that they switch who is guard when the official guard or dominant pig is sleeping or eating like prey animals do in the wild.

I'm pretty convinced that the chirping is a warning call, guinea pigs can't see distance very well so if they see shadows in the night they could be mistaking it for something dangerous (explaining why majority of pigs chirp at night). The reason why pregnant pigs tend to chirp could be too warn the other pigs something is coming and perhaps pregnant pigs chirp slightly different then chirping for danger.

Meercats have slightly different sounds for different dangers that are so unnoticable that you wouldn't notice at first.

What do you think?

User Tag List