Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is hay suitable to sleep in!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
hiya, I went to pets at home looking for bedding as I was told it was bad for the pigs, it was to dusty and could cause problems. So I went to get something different and a member of staff said 'No hay is fine ive used it for 4 1/2 years.' I didn't want to belive her as pet stores are mostly wrong. So ive come here for truthful answers.
Any help would be appriciated.
:)

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Hay is absolutely fine though it isn't absorbant and needs to be changed much more regularly than other types of bedding.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Yep, as Daft said it's good bedding but does need to be changed regularly! If you put newspaper underneath you can just roll it up and throw away/compost. My pigs love snuggling up in fresh hay!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you're going to use hay for bedding, make sure you're buying it in bulk. You'll need change out your cage completely every day or every other day at the least. You also want to make sure that there is some hay off the ground that your pigs will not be able to poop and pee on, so they have clean hay to eat as well.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, I already changed the bedding to safe bedding like tissue.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, I already changed the bedding to safe bedding like tissue.

Where do you get enough tissue to cover a whole cage? I would beware as tissue might be tempting for pigs to eat and could be harmful if eaten in large quantities. Are you remembering that pigs need hay to eat?

caribear

Cavy Slave
You can use aspen bedding, we do, it is without dust & shouldn't cause problems. I do put large hay piles throughout our cage, our piggie sleeps on them, in them, & in her hidey's as well.

I would wonder if they would try to eat tissue also. There is also the recycled paper type product that would not cause problems, I wouldn't think anyway.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Aspen isn't available in the UK, only cheap and nasty pine shavings. My personal choice of bedding in order of preference is fleece (using currently), megazorb (Carefresh equivalent, using in the litter tray at the moment) or hay.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
You can buy hay cheaply by the bale from farmers easily.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I saw Aspen at a reptile shop once, but it was some kind of crazy price for a bag so...nah. But I guess that means it's available over here too.

capn
Sorry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.