Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Urine in food

morbidia

Cavy Slave
My baby has been urinating in her food for over a week now. the second i change it she in there going. After she goes she wont eat it and wheeks for more. What can I do to stop this??

FloppyRagzDolli

Cavy Slave
its a sign of marking territory, i believe. ragz used to do it, then after a while, she just stopped.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Can you try a smaller bowl or perhaps one that's wall mounted so that she can gain easy access to feed but can't actually get in it to pee? And in the meantime, just put smaller amounts of pellets in at any one time so she doesn't waste as much!

morbidia

Cavy Slave
Is it ok that she hasnt been eating it? She has enough hay and veggies. I feed her oxbrow which is the best i can find. Maybe she doesnt like it?

Treen

Cavy Slave
Do you know what pellets she was on before you got her? Some pigs are fussy about change so if it was different, getting hold of some of what she was on before and mixing it in so you can wean her on to the Oxbow gradually may help. Oxbow make good pellets, so hopefully she'll warm up to them - it's not unusual for new pigs to be a little fussy.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
one of my piggies did this when i first got him, so i tried using a seperate dish for food. i would leave the one he made a mess in in his cage and just add another bowl with food. he never peed in the second dish and he eventually stopped going in the orignal food bowl and i kept it out of his cage with no problems.

ice_on_fire

Cavy Slave
sometimes if the food dish is too big piggies will sit in there and use it as a bathroom.. my piggies are too fat so they never do that.. lolz.. but i occasionally notice some poos in there tho..

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
Use a smaller bowl so that she can't sit in it.

morbidia

Cavy Slave
When I got her the woman said she was being fed oxbrow so thats what I continued to feed her. She has slowed down some she now eats a bit first.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
My new 3 week old babies sit in the bin feeder and eat. But I haven't seen signs of wee, an occasional poop though that gets thrown in from the bigger pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.