Thanks
    Thanks
    123 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry I am so mad!

On Tuesday, I gave my persuasive essay presentation on petstores and breeders. I got tons of good feedback, and others ok feedback.
    Of course, there has always got to be the one or two people that just have to be against what I believe in about petstores and breeders. Now, obviously, I don't expect everyone to go along with this, but what my so called "friends" are doing, is just down right ridiculous.
    My friend, for the past few days, has been walking up to me and making a big fuss over the fact that he supports petstores. He thinks there is no proof of anything I am saying and that I need to knock it off before I take it too far. He said that he cannot be happier with the animals he has bought from petstores, and he always had, and always will support petstores. He said, plus he gets his mice from a petstore, and all of his supplies from there. He claims that he has never seen any adoption centers for lizards. And he complains that they don't have some sort of exotic lizard I have never heard of at adoption centers. Well, an adoption center isn't fully stocked, and that is too bad, he can't do anything about that.
    But I know people are entitled to their own opinion and I accept that, I just don't like it, but I deal with it and my other friends do too, they don't bring it up... But this kid won't leave me alone about it...then he wonders why I am so upset with him!
    Also, one of my friends has decided that he is going to breed his bunny. He said she is already 3 weeks into it, and he could not be happier. He knows that I don't like it so he doesn't bring it up, but also because he knows he will not win if he starts with me. But it still really makes me mad, that people just risk their animals lives and basically throw them out like trash.
    But I just feel like everything that I talked about in my presentation has just had the complete opposite effect on certain people.
    I honestly want to sock some of them, because they know it angers me, yet they still brag about it.
    I honestly wonder what is wrong with some people.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    150 Rec'd/84 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I am so mad!

Their just uneducated about the whole thing. Some people just don't want to believe what's in front of their faces. They will learn the hard way eventually. It's sad, but sometimes it happens. Just let it roll off your back. Theirs no point in arguing with those who have closed ears. Tell them to drop it, it was in essay for school, you have your beliefs and he will have his. I'm sorry your having to deal with this. Hope you did aright on your essay though and maybe you can educate some other people!

3. "Thank you, Amsley246, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know what you mean. Trying to get some people to realize that animals are sentient, feeling beings is frustrating.

I truly don't know why some of us feel for animals and others don't. Why some of us see the the wrong-ness of breeding, selling, and dumping, while others consider it just another part of life.

It has seemed to me that the more I try to talk people out of buying at pet stores, the more determined they are to ignore me as an ignorant moron and go straight to them to buy another toy/pet.

I, for one, am very proud of you for presenting your essay and standing up against the mainstream. Keep up the good work, even throughout the frustration. This comes from someone old (me) who has protested, boycotted, and fought the fight for thirty years and is still going in spite of the flak, ignorance, and insolence.

5. "Thank you, Wheek Weak, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I have always had an issue with people not understanding my feelings toward animals. My pets are like my kids. Well I don't have any kids but if I did they would be equal. Unfortunately it's going to be something you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. I think everyone has different views. Stick to your views and don't let anyone tell you different.

Also, ask yourself if your "friends" don't support/accept you for your views are they really your friends? If someone doesn't like you because of your views or doesn't accept you for you then that is their loss not yours. At least you are open and honest about how you feel.

7. "Thank you, Peggysu, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    94 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Last time this happened to me, I went home and printed up a bunch of pictures/statistics about breeding and pet stores and showed it to them. It shut them up for a good long while.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I honestly wonder what is wrong with some people.

I wonder the same thing everyday! I think some people just aren't happy unless they are pushing other people's buttons. We are all entitled to our opinions of course, but some people just take it a step further. Knowing you are so passionate about something gives this idiot the fuel he needs to rattle your cage (ha! no pun intended). I am always glad to see people passionate about things and what could be more noble than for you to care so much about the welfare of animals?

Thanks
    Thanks
    123 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It just makes me think...do people have nothing better to do than to annoy the crap out of others, and basically harass them about it?
    This person just does not believe me and says that I make all of it up and I don't know what I am talking about...and yeah, you guys get the picture. Even when I try to show him, he just says no and tells me he can't be wasting his time.
    He is the one wasting his time if he is going to argue about pet stores and breeders with me!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He just doesn't want you to prove him wrong. If he refuses your offer to show him, I say he knows hes wrong, and doesn't want to admit it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,515 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

High school is a tough time, and it's great that you know what you believe in and are willing to educate your peers on the horrors of pet stores and overpopulation now. He might be giving you a hard time about it right now, but hopefully when he has some time to think about it (maybe later down the road) he'll realize pet stores are not as great as he thinks and give your arguments a second thought.

13. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A lot of people just never try to rescue or search for rescues. They just think that a pet store is the only way or breeding too. They don't realize that they've just added more animals into the world, they only see the 'almighty dollar.' If they actually searched for rescues, they would find that PETS are in the rescue. Whatever lizard that guy was talking about probably should be in the rainforest, not in a cage anyway.

Thanks
    Thanks
    118 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm really proud of you for taking your stance and expressing your views and the issues that surround petstores, breeding and rescues.
    You chose an excellent topic for your essay and sense you'll be recieving a good grade on it, and it sounds as though, you really touched on an issue and brought to light the serious issues that surround petstores and breeding. You reached out to a young age group which I feel is so important as it is an age group of young adults I would expect, make up a large percentage of petstore animal purchases. To those who responded well to your essay are those you have impacted.... you may just have saved/helped animals waiting for homes now as the word will spread.
    It sounds to me that this fella who is giving you a hard time is doing so because he might be on a "guilt-trip". No one likes to be told or given the sense that they're wrong especially if they feel all along they were doing the right thing, this is my opinion. You can never get people in 100% agreement as of course, everyone has their own opinion. Expressing ones view is one thing, educating..is another and I opt for educationg which is what you've done. I'm proud of you.
    It sounds to me he's being immature and needs to "grow-up" a little. I'd let it ride out...he'll get over it. In the mean time..keep up the good work.

User Tag List