Thread: how did you meet, was it love at first sight?

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking how did you meet, was it love at first sight?

Hello, everyone here on the forum.
    I'm just seeing where you got you're GP's as I'm adopting mine?
    just want to here some of your love at first sight stories. I would love to read how you decied you wanted that piggie. Just wondering I guess want to read some soppy storeis.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Re: how did you meet your piggies, was it love at first sight?

hiya guys please post how you fellin love with your piggies, i want that for me and my ppiggies when i get them, how did you fall in love with them when you first saw them.
    im dying to know
    x

Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: how did you meet, was it love at first sight?

I got one of my pigs from a pet shop (shame on me). I can't really remember how I picked him - I probably just thought he looked cute. My other pig was from a friend we'd arranged it with so I couldn't really say no when I saw him! He sat on my lap and ate a sage leaf so I knew he'd fit in

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aww how cute, dont worry we all make mistakes, i nearly did. Are you going on chat today?.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    423 Rec'd/167 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In 2004 I lost my hamster and went to the SSPCA. After 5 years of no piggies I wasn't looking for one but on seeing one at the shelter, home she came (Bracken). I wanted to wait until a piggy became available at the same place again (happened rarely) so I held out until I heard through a friend of a friend that they had bought a pig at a pet shop who had turned out to be pregnant. Home came baby Bonnie!

In 2005 I lost Bracken after complex surgery so went on the hunt for a friend for lonely Bonnie. After an online search I discovered that the only dedicated piggie rescue in Scotland was only 25 minutes from me! They had a litter of babies born on my birthday who were ready a week after I got in touch with them. After a tough choice between two, home came Bramble!

In November 2005 I looked at the new adoptables section on the SSPCA's site to see that one of the rescue centres (my local one had now closed due to funding problems) had a beautiful tricolour sow. I decided against it as she was 70 miles away, but was dismayed to see she was still on the site a month later, a week before Christmas. I figured it must have been a mistake and they hadn't updated the site but phoned up anyway. She was still there so we made the journey and home came Lucy!

I thought my herd was complete but here was I with a big cage and Wendi from Thistle Cavies posted a picture of a lovely neutered boar who had been bullied rotten by a sow, was matted, soaked with urine and underweight, having been fed only mix daily and a carrot once a week. I couldn't resist and Bart is now very happy with all his womanses!

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now that's a story. That was love at first sight, How cute.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For me the love of GP came when I was pet sitting. A woman had contacted me to watch her 6 piggies while she was away. She told me all about them, what to look for, how she became involved as a foster parent for pigs. They grew on me pretty quickly but my boyfriend was a harder sell. We decided to hold off for awhile and gather information first.
    Back around December I decided I wanted to do it. Looking over at pets available through Petfinder over the course of a few weeks, I came across Bradey and Brodey and read their descriptions and they seemed perfect. I contacted the foster mom and we made arrangements to meet halfway since she lives in the northern part of the state. It took a bit of bribery via veggies but it was love at first site for me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aw, Im glad for you all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    197 Rec'd/146 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We'd been contemplating guinea-pigs for a few years - gathereing stuffed toy versions, and books, but it wasn't til 2004 when a friend's daughter's guinea pig had babies, that we made the decision to go ahead and get us some guineas!

My son chose Midge - a lovely ginger and white girl - he held her when she was only hours old, and I chose Mary - the 'runt' of the litter who was the first out of hiding to investigate - an adventurous spirit who touched my own! Sadly, we lost Midge in March last year. Desperate for Mary to have a companion, we rushed out and brought Marble home from a local garden centre. Her name says it all - she was like the marble in a pinball game - madly dashing around the place at tremendous speed!

It was not long after that I found GPC (then CC!), and realised our mistake in purchasing a piggy, however we know better now! Through this site, I heard about the wonderful Thistle cavies - and the joys of herd life!

When the October holidays came, we volunteered our poop-scooping services (bringing our pet carrier along - just incase!) Wendi showed us 5 girls - not quite up to weight, but ones on the road to being ready for adoption. I guess we must have proven our worth to Wendi, as she was happy for Mellow and Emm to come home with us. Mellow appealed immediately - a ball of black fluff - Wendi knew her as 'Scottie-dog' as when they had rescued her (part of a huge rescue), the hairloss around her face gave her the impression of a Scottish Terrier! Emm was the scattiest piggy I had ever come across - but something struck a chord (maybe her blistered eyelids, tattered ears - or bitten lip) - she certainly needed TLC!

Mary, Marble, Mellow and Emm are now a united (if occasionally bickery)herd, I am so glad I fell in love with them all!
    The artist formerly known as jarbax

Thanks
    Thanks
    168 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We finally moved to a flat last year that would allow us to have some pets. I'd gone 5 years at uni with no furballs in my life and was desperate to have a cat again but sadly (or so I thought!) the flat would only allow small animal pets.

After doing some research into what various species were like and their temperaments we settled on guinea pigs - they looked cuddly and interesting. We went to the pet shop (know better now!) and there were four female piggies in a pen. We picked two that were huddled together, a lovely ginger one with a funky hair do (red crested) and a "splodgey" one (Gracie, who's colours haven't really ever been identified!). We knew right away that those were the piggies for us. I was shocked at the way the woman picked them up and flipped them over, and shocked even more when she thought we were just there for one. She didn't even ask us any questions :/ I get quite mopey sometimes thinking about the other two we left behind, they're probably stuck in a hutch somewhere now ;__;

I'd read the first page of this site so luckily we had a C&C set up for the girlies. In joining the forum and reading more we were much better prepared for our next two. I'd been following the progress of a large scale rescue on Thistle Cavies website, and when we decided to get two more piggies I fell in love with a tiny picture of babies Brie & Frisky on their site who had been through terrible hardship. We didn't even know what Frisky really looked like til a week or so before we picked them up - definitely love at first sight!

And Brie even has her photo advertising some Gorgeous Guineas products - she's a famous miracle pig

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aw, fantastic stories. Glad it work out for both of you.
    My very on story of how I get my piggies.
    Coming Soon. I hope.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got mine from a petshop in town, i saw him and his 'brother' sat in a cage looking pretty sorry for them selves. After talking to them for a few minutes i had gone all gooey eyed and decided i would buy them both.

User Tag List