Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference My pig has white pee/I'm seeing white spots in the cage, what should I do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
White spots occasionally in the cage are normal. This happens because cavies only keep the calcium they need and their bodies expel the rest through their urine.

One thing all cavy owners need to do when seeing these spots is to feel them when they are dry and see if they feel smooth or a bit gritty. Smooth spots are perfectly normal. Gritty feeling spots can indicate bladder sludge and then a modification to the diet is needed. Bladder sludge is a precursor to bladder stones.

If you have a cavy with gritty feeling white spots, then cut down significantly on calcium enriched veggies. If you need help with what foods are high in calcium, please see the sticky thread- https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

ava&lilly

Cavy Slave
yes... i agree. some white spots are normal. I see white "stains" in their tunnel every time i clean it

gnosis

Cavy Slave
I just switched to fleece bedding and noticed some white gritty urine recently over the past week or two. I'm relating it to too much calcium in their diet. I have two 5-month old piggies so I'm feeding them unlimited Cavy Performance which is alfalfa (more calcium than timothy) based, and in addition to the usual lettuce/tomato/carrot/fruit, for the past 2 weeks I was feeding them about 15-20 grams of parsley (high calcium) to each piggy every 2-3 days. If any of you think it's another reason, please say so!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Are the spots actually gritty feeling?

gnosis

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I slid my finger across the dried white urine and I thought that it was gritty, but I was just feeling the caked/dried fleece bedding. Today I actually tried to scrape the white particles off the fleece with my fingernail and it just seems to be like white soft powder, no grittiness. That means it's just extra calcium right?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Either way it's calcium spots but gritty feeling can indicate bladder sludge. If you have just powdery feeling white spots then nothing to worry about. You may just want to adjust the amount of high calcium veggies to see if it stops if you continue to see these calcium spots.

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
I have just recently noticed these white spots in my little guy's cage. I had no idea what they were. They seem to be soft and powdery but I am not sure what is causing them. I haven't been feeding him any high calcium veggies.

Is it possible the Kaytee brand pellets are high in calcium?

(don't worry I've already ordered some new hay and pellets from KM but they haven't arrives yet, so I was feeding him some of the kaytee until then)

But could that be the cause?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Even if you aren't feeding high calcium veggies, their bodies absorb what it needs and the rest is expelled. If they don't feel gritty, there is no need to worry.

Pellets usually aren't high in calcium. It's more likely veggie related because all veggies have calcium in them.

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
Even if you aren't feeding high calcium veggies, their bodies absorb what it needs and the rest is expelled. If they don't feel gritty, there is no need to worry.

Pellets usually aren't high in calcium. It's more likely veggie related because all veggies have calcium in them.

Oh ok! Good to know. Thank you! :tearsofjo

peachlove08

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem. The residue wont clean off of the cage no matter what i do!! How can i fix this problem?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem. The residue wont clean off of the cage no matter what i do!! How can i fix this problem?
Use straight vinegar to clean it off the cage.

And please make to capitalize all your I's when posting. Thanks.

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.