Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Do my pigs need Salt Wheels or Mineral Licks?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
ETA - Ly, get out of my head.
No, VJ. It's all snuggly warm in here and I'm cold. The weather has turned.

BabySnow, many horses and guinea pigs eat the same hay. If you go to a feedstore to buy hay by the bale, you want to look for horse quality hay. But that's where the dietary differences stop.

The majority of petstore treats out there are just junk with a pretty label on it.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It would be like me trying to eat her hay every once and a while... that would be silly.
It's not bad really. Quite an herbal taste and a very nice aroma. It's especially nice if you get really high quality hay.

I guess if Ly and VJ don't want people in their heads, I'll have to find another head to reside in. Daggum it!

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I like this "head" thing...entertaining. :) Anyway, salt licks are simply unnecessary. Just because I love ice cream doesn't mean its a necessary part of my diet. I can survive just fine (and a little more healthily....) without ice cream. Like salt licks, to much ice cream can create medical issues. Salt/mineral licks should not be used in any situation.

Sorry for the ice cream thing...I'm a little hungry right now.lol

BabySnow

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the ice cream thing...I'm a little hungry right now.

No you mustn't! It's simply unnecessary and bad for your health! :silly: ...Oh well, that smiley doesn't really match the teasing face I wanted.

That's great! The next time I visit my Aunt I'll go to the feed store with her and see what I can find.

Alright, I promise I won't make another pointless post here unless I get a reply about that email I sent.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No, VJ. It's all snuggly warm in here and I'm cold. The weather has turned.
Okay, as long as the echo doesn't bother you.

I guess if Ly and VJ don't want people in their heads, I'll have to find another head to reside in. Daggum it!
You can stay PM. Just don't hide and lurk around all of those empty nooks in my head that Ly finds and jump out at me yelling "BOOGA, BOOGA!" as I rattle around in there too.

That totally freaks me out.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
VJ-That was hilarious. lol

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
That was funny VJ! :)

Coffee

Cavy Slave
Im reading that the guinea pigs get enough salt from the pellets. I read oxbows ingredients and yes its in there. Kleenmamas however doesnt list salt?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Im reading that the guinea pigs get enough salt from the pellets. I read oxbows ingredients and yes its in there. Kleenmamas however doesnt list salt?
That's because salt is not a necessary ingredient or something that pigs even need. KM's pellets are the best out there as she formulated them with good nutrition in mind.

BabySausage

Cavy Slave
Phew! I am glad you told us that! I hope that my friend will take hers down because I sent her the link to this page. I hope she can see it soon! Haha, her old one has a bunch of dents making a funny pattern; but now that I know they're bad for the piggers, I will be sure to tell her about them! I am going to recommend her this site, hopefully it'll help her out.

ChatterandRusty

Cavy Slave
Oh! Thank you very much! My friend bought some for her guinea pig and gave me one. I haven't put it in their cage yet, but I'm glad I haven't. Thank you for the info!

natashia

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for posting this - The lady at my local petshop was adamant that I should get some (since I told her my guinea pig nibbler licks me when I hold him and she said its probably the salt) but I ignored her and now I'm really glad!

jan.neeth

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I read this as well. I bought some without knowing. I still haven't place them in the cage so I'm just gonna be throwing them out.

D.Miller

Cavy Slave
Just bought some......lol I guess I gotta throw it out....

faithandhope

Cavy Slave
Thank yo so much! I put mine in the trash (well technically I gave them to my horse, but they're gone either way.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.