Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Do my pigs need Salt Wheels or Mineral Licks?

ava&lilly

Cavy Slave
they could. Mine didnt like a saly lick so i threw it out

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
they could. Mine didnt like a saly lick so i threw it out
No they don't need Salt wheels or Mineral licks. Commercial brands of pellets contain all the salt and minerals they will ever need. By giving them extra salt/mineral stuff, you can do more harm than good.

Cavy_Luvr

Cavy Slave
Actually, guinea pigs need minerals just like we do. If you put a salt lick in the cage, they'll use it when they need it. I bought a salt lick when I first got my piggies, and that one lasted a year, and I have three cavies! Try it, and if you think that it's not doing anything good, take it out. Or contact your vet for more info.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Please stop giving bad advice cavy_luvr. Pigs get all the salt and minerals they need from pellets and from veggies/fruits. They absolutely do NOT need salt wheel or mineral licks.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Cavy_Luvr, your information is incorrect. The excess minerals in mineral wheels frequently contribute to forming bladder stones. And that is from my vet.

There's absolutely no need for mineral or salt wheels.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I agree. I used to give salt licks but Coco never used them. They also smell bad after a bit. (Another reason not to use them) But, I agree, you should check your info for accuracy before you give it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I've read the entire thread, and gotten it loud and clear that salt wheels and mineral wheels are NOT good. I had no intention of getting my piglets a mineral wheel, but I was going to get them a salt wheel, because I read that it helps keep their front teeth in check. If they don't get salt wheels, what helps their front teeth a good length?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
If they don't get salt wheels, what helps their front teeth a good length?
Hay, hay and more hay. This is one of the reasons they need unlimited amounts of hay. The other reason is that it's high in fiber and good for digestion.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Hay, hay and more hay. This is one of the reasons they need unlimited amounts of hay. The other reason is that it's high in fiber and good for digestion.

Yeah, I know all about how important hay is, although I thought that was good for grinding their molars. Do hard veggies help? Should I be worried about their front teeth?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Their front teeth get worn from rubbing against each other and do not need as much care and worry as the molars because they are more easily worn by the rubbing due to the fact that they are thinner.

If you are concerned you can provide wood blocks and safe branches (untreated apple and willow are good choices) for them to chew on. Many also chew on their hidey houses.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Their front teeth get worn from rubbing against each other and do not need as much care and worry as the molars because they are more easily worn by the rubbing due to the fact that they are thinner.

If you are concerned you can provide wood blocks and safe branches (untreated apple and willow are good choices) for them to chew on. Many also chew on their hidey houses.

Wonderful. Thanks so much.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Mine would never chew on any of those things, oddly enough. (Not that they aren't excellent suggestions). But they get tons of hay and have never had tooth problems (molar or incisor) to date.

ali's_pigs123

Cavy Slave
Give hay 24/7 to keep their teeth in good shape. But by no means does this mean you should not regularly check their teeth.

Leaflyn

Cavy Slave
Yup, deer love salt licks.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs rarely develop problems with their front teeth alone; it's usually the molars that have issues. Feeding unlimited quality grass hay helps greatly.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Thanks for having all these stickies up. This answered my exact question. When I was younger, my pig had a salt lick. But I liked to lick it, too, so I was never really sure if she needed it (as *I* was always, and still am, yelled at for eating too much salt).

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
I got one for my guinea pigs and they ended up just knocking it down and rolling it around in their poolol . So that's apparently how much they needed it.

Chin Lover

Cavy Slave
For salt licks and mineral wheels, I've read that they are used for horses and cows to prompt them to drink more water. Piggies drink enough water as is, and they don't need salt licks around to encourage them to drink more.

I have however, heard that if you have a piggy that doesn't drink water, giving the piggy a salt lick would help the situation. That's probably the only reason to get your piggy one, and even so, it shouldn't be in the cage for long.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
If your piggie isn't drinking enough water, it's generally a sign of a health problem, and you shouldn't try to cover it up! Piggies can be rehydrated with Pedialyte (unflavored) or by feeding wettened veggies like lettuce, which are healthy and safe for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.