Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am new and I have some questions

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
1) how often do guinea pigs need to get their nails clipped.
Every 3-4 weeks.

2) Do guinea pigs have to go to a vet to get their nails clipped?
No, you can easily trim them yourself.

3) Are guinea pigs prey to every animal?
No, only to predatory animals.

4) When do guinea pigs get dirty?
There really isn't an exact answer to this.

5) When guinea pigs get fiflthy do they need a bath right away?
For longer haired breeds, baths every 2-3 months are ok. Short haired pigs rarely require bathing.

6) When guinea pigs are outside do they eat the grass or play in the grass?
Sometimes they might do both. They do love to eat fresh grass.

7) How many of hours of sleep do guinea pigs get per night?
Guinea pigs don't sleep all night. They are diurnal animals meaning they sleep at times in both the day and night. They usually sleep in short increments all throughout the day and night for about 5-20 minutes at a time. Sometimes you can't even tell they are sleeping because many tend to sleep with their eyes open.

8) When do guinea pigs normally finally go to sleep at night?
See the answer to the last question.

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Sometimes you can't even tell they are sleeping because many tend to sleep with their eyes open.

That explains alot. I never seem to notice the pigs sleeping though I see them lying down.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
That explains alot. I never seem to notice the pigs sleeping though I see them lying down.

Yeah it is bizarre. Sometimes I go and pet the top of a head and the pig get's all startled, and I'm thinking "What, you were looking right at me!". Then I realize it must have been snoozing.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
I do want to add that I have tried repeatedly to successfully trim their nails, both with help and by myself - and it's very difficult. Difficult for me. Especially for Pilot who has dark nails due to her coloring. However I can/do take her to the vet and it's $18 a pop. Vets do charge for that I do believe - so it's a cost that you need to consider if you go that route. I know that I budget for it!

The average monthly cost [if you use bedding instead of fleece] for 2 piggies is about $60. And I think for some it's less and for some it's more. Depends upon vet visits, or clipping nails. Depends upon where you get your veggies and pellets and bedding. But I wanted to toss out that number for you to consider. I think that is a fairly safe number to kind of work around.

I did the estimation for 2 piggies, because you shouldn't have a solo piggy. However, the monthly cost for a solo isn't that much lower than for 2 - perhaps $10 due to veggie consumption. Again these are very low estimates.

That doesn't take into consideration medical emergencies, or treatments for mites, etc. I only really looked at bedding and food supplies. For one month.

Once again their care is VERY involved. Every day. Non-stop. And it can be expensive. That is why full parental involvement/support is needed for minors.

Truly I'd start with something simpler to care for - like a hamster. They can be very friendly and loving and a good starter pet. And their requirements are MUCH less financially and timewise.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Jenah,

You might check with a rescue if you have one nearby about doing the nail clipping for you. The rescue I got my pigs from is willing to do it 2-3 dollars per pig plus then she gets to see how they are doing every month or so. I get the nails clipped without having to do it, the pigs get to see her again and I support the rescue. Win-win-win.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
Jenah,

You might check with a rescue if you have one nearby about doing the nail clipping for you. The rescue I got my pigs from is willing to do it 2-3 dollars per pig plus then she gets to see how they are doing every month or so. I get the nails clipped without having to do it, the pigs get to see her again and I support the rescue. Win-win-win.

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, the rescue I adopted Emma from is about an hour away. And it was stressful enough to take Pilot out there, do the 2 1/2 hour meet/greet, and then drive home with Pilot and our newly adopted Emma!! I would hate to subject them to that when I can go to our vet which is about 3 miles away.

I have had better luck with Emma's nails than Pilot's because hers are very light colored. So it might be only Pilot that I take.

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
I did my first nail clipping and I'm sure it was more stressful on me than on Bogie. He "whimpered" a lot but I feel worse putting him through it. I've done alot of "paw touching" to be sure he's comfortable. Everytime I worry I will hit the quick. I will likely check in to local vets if they do it and so forth. I feel horrid doing it and it makes me nervous. THey get treats (extra lettuce or something) afterwards.

Fortunately they do GREAT during bathtime.

Spike

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well when you do here is a place that gives you alot of info on what they need Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig here is a place to get it. and i would get two piggys beacouse they are much happier when they hve a buddy to hang out with when your not home. i myself is still trying to get my piggy a buddy.

Meggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of your help, but I have a couple more questions.
Here are my questions: 1) How can you tell when a guinea pig is sleeping? Do they just lay there forever or what? 2) Why do guinea pigs need to be with another guinea pig? 3) Do guinea pigs go to sleep when their owners are asleep? 4) When do guinea pigs need to be taken to the vet and how often do they need to be taken there? 5) Are guinea pigs as social as they seem to be? 6) Do guinea pigs need to have someone sit by their cage? 7) Would guinea pigs be prey, to say; a ferret? (I may or may not get a ferret too). 8) Are guinea pigs scared of certain animals? 9) What animals are guinea pigs scared of? 10) Do guinea pigs have natural abilities, if so what kind of natural abilities do guinea pigs have? 11) Are guinea pigs climbers? 12) Can guinea pigs climb? 13) Will a guinea pig ever try to escape from its cage? 13) Should I get a difficult access cage so that if I get a ferret, the ferret doesn't get in it? 14) What should I be on a lookout for with guinea pigs?

I will have more questions posted later. Please reply.

WICharlie

Cavy Slave
Why should we reply? You are not reading a single thing anyone is saying to you?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Half of your questions were already answered by me in a previous post, especially about sleeping. Maybe you should read that once again and all over this forum and guinealynx before asking more questions.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
She isn't really interested in learning anything. She is here to bait and fish.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of your help, but I have a couple more questions.
Here are my questions: 1) How can you tell when a guinea pig is sleeping? Do they just lay there forever or what? 2) Why do guinea pigs need to be with another guinea pig? 3) Do guinea pigs go to sleep when their owners are asleep? 4) When do guinea pigs need to be taken to the vet and how often do they need to be taken there? 5) Are guinea pigs as social as they seem to be? 6) Do guinea pigs need to have someone sit by their cage? 7) Would guinea pigs be prey, to say; a ferret? (I may or may not get a ferret too). 8) Are guinea pigs scared of certain animals? 9) What animals are guinea pigs scared of? 10) Do guinea pigs have natural abilities, if so what kind of natural abilities do guinea pigs have? 11) Are guinea pigs climbers? 12) Can guinea pigs climb? 13) Will a guinea pig ever try to escape from its cage? 13) Should I get a difficult access cage so that if I get a ferret, the ferret doesn't get in it? 14) What should I be on a lookout for with guinea pigs?

I will have more questions posted later. Please reply.

1: From what other members told you, I deducted that they either close their eyes or don't react when you approach them even if their eyes are open.
I'd imagine a very bored, unhealthy pig would lay around a lot, seeing as how it feels unwell and has nothing to do.

2:
"Here's what I know about guinea pigs: they are social, ... they need friends to keep them happy,"

3: As was already answered, Guinea Pigs sleep for some minutes at a time. They probably sleep some while you are asleep, but they won't sleep for 8 hours at a time like you would normally do.

4: For regular checkups, I'd say about twice a year, plus everytime you notice something wrong, i.e. unusual symtoms such as: different breathing noises, hair loss, excessive scratching, weight loss (that's why you have to weight them every day), crusty eyes, discharge from nose, salivation or trouble while eating food, etc.

5: Depends on personality and confidence with their handlers. My two boys are extremely lovable and they'll eat from my hand and not run too much when I try to pick them up, while my girls are very shy and prefer to be left alone while they eat. But they certainly do play a lot amongst themselves, following each other around and having races. That's why you need at least one other pig, so they can keep each other entertained and active.

6:
"...they need LOTS of attention, somebody needs to sit by their cage daily,..."
You answered that youself!

7: Yes, Guinea Pigs would most certainly be prey to ferrets! Ferrets are carnivores! In fact, some people even give them live baby chickens to eat :eek: .You should be researching on ferrets before considering them as a pet. Like any other animal, they too have special requiremets.

8 & 9: I've found Guinea Pigs to be cowards. Really. They're afraid of everything, including people. Maybe some will get along with cats or dogs, or just tolerate having them, but remember they are PREY animals. Just in case you don't understand what "prey" means, here is the definition according to Online Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Free access.:

prey:
n. 1. An animal hunted or caught for food; quarry.

10: Natural abilities? I'd say being poop machines. That's an ability that comes naturally to them. They also have the ability to be extremely fragile, high-maintenance animals which sicken easily.

11 & 12 & 13: I remember asking this to someone in a previous post. It seems that most Guinea Pigs won't bother climbing, say, up the grids. However, some posts mention Guinea Pigs escaping inexplicably, or male pigs that have managed to find a way out of their cages to get to a female in heat. Mine like to climb on top of their fiddlestick tunnels, but I haven't seen them scaling or ven attempting to escape the cages.

2nd 13: Most definitely. You can make a C&C cage and further protect it with chicken wire or mesh grids. Remember that if you let your ferret out for some playtime, he NEEDS to be supervised. They are little troublemakers, so you have to watch out for them.

14: Lookout as in signs of disease? Check out this forum and the previous posts. Also check the Guinea Lynx forum.

Now, a few things I'd like to point out about ferrets. They are MUCH more expensive than a Guinea Pig. I believe they are upwards of $100? In fact, in here they cost $600, but that's only because they're ilegal here and these ones have some sort of special amnesty, at least according to the guy who sells them. They NEED a LOT of time, preferably 2 hours a day, especially if you cannot provide them with a playmate and ADEQUATE housing space. They are extremely active and playful.

They SMELL. They have this weird musk, and males drop scent-bombs, kind of like what skunks do. If you don't want to deal with this scent, you should descent them and/or neuter them, but this won't mean they'll smell like roses. There will always be some scent involved.

They NEED a high quality ferret or kitten food. A low quality food will mean a less healthy ferret.

They need regular checkups plus rabies and distemper vaccines each year. Even if they don't go outside, you STILL need to get the vaccines. They can get heartwork from mosquitos or from your own clothes and shoes if they have come in contact with a sick animal. You HAVE to ferret proof your house. Not just the room it's going to be in unless you are POSITIVE the ferret will NEVER escape from there (which is not likely). Proofing involves setting up gates that cannot be scaled at the entrance of areas the ferret shouldn't go to. They CAN and WILL scale any baby gate or pet gate. You'd probably have to get a piece of plexiglass or a flat sheet of wood about 3 ft high so they can't scale over it. You also CANNOT leave around stuff they can choke on, such as pen caps, your school erasers, coins, jewelry, etc. They can swallow this and they will need surgery to remove these objects from their stomach, which I can assure you will NOT be cheap. You have to make sure that any house cleaning products or common medicines are out of reach. Even a tylenol can be deadly. There's many other things to do to ferret proof a place. Please research further into this subject.

Ferrets have sharp nails which should NOT be removed. You can't declaw them. They also have sharp teeth. These things mean that eventually you'll get scratched or bit. Keep this in mind.

Check out this thread for some information and links:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ring-ferret.html?highlight=coopdog#post250729

Please reconsider the whole ferret idea also. If you can't make time or afford having one Guinea Pig then you can't definitely keep up with a ferret.

And another thing I wanted to point out: Having a pet just to cheer you when you are depressed isn't a good idea. I'm manic-depressive (bipolar) and I am on severe depression pretty much my whole life. I have a really hard time taking care of myself. Sometimes I can't even get out of bed in the mornings and put on clothes, so I head off to college and just go with my PJs and slippers and all messed up. However, this doesn't bother or harm anyone. But if you get pets, remember they are going to DEPEND ON YOU to clean up their cages, take the time to interact with them, prepare their meals, etc. They need you to survive; they can't do those things by themselves. Occasionaly I'll be so depressed that I need help and verbal encouragement from my mom to finish out cleaning everyone. I have 8 pets. All completely mine. Even though I don't support them financially (and it takes a LOT of money to pay for veggies for five herbivores, two omnivores and one messed-up dog plus hay and pellets/dog food/hamster food), they do get most of the interaction from me, and I'm the only one who cleans out their cages and prepares their meals according to their needs.
In a way they are teaching me responsability because they'll die if I don't care for them, and a life is a big thing to have on your shoulders, but really, a Guinea Pig is a very poopy animal which requires a lot of attention and cleaning (if you don't want their cages to stink like heck). I suggest you get on some sort of antidepressant to help you with your depression. I used to drink Zoloft, Depakote and some other mood stabilizers. You don't need an animal to make you happy. Nor a sibling. In fact, my brother is one of the reasons my life is so miserable.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Hi Meggie. I agree with everyone about getting a lower required pet. Because without support your piggies could die from diseases without vet care. Guinea pigs can get URI and other life-threatning diseases so easily. It requires tons of work, and veggies and fresh water daily. Piggies also require so much work! I spend almost my hole day either making Floor time better, making a bowl of veggies/fruits, scooping poo off fleece, (bedding cost me $20 PER WEEK!) Pigs require so much attention, money, and more importantly time! I have three girls, I started out with two, and the care was hard then. One guinea pig can give also go through depression and die. I had a friend who has no knowlege on cavies what-so-ever and she adopted two and seperated them then the oldest died of depression. Sad huh? It requires alot of energy also. If you don't have time I recommend a smaller pet. Maybe even a dog or cat. Hamsters also require alot of attention and companionship but they are MUCH cheaper, don't require much money at all, and don't require veggies for long lives. But please do hamster/gerbil/mouse/or rat research before you adopt. I had gerbils and a couple hamsters as a kid and they grew to be 5 years old, then I decided I wanted my first pigs when I was 13, oh boy what a mistake, I was young, had a life, and did no research! Now, years later, I got three girls and so glad I found this site. You will come to realize this site is full of pig-lovers like myself, and we want the best for all piggies, so please do all types of research, and wait until you get back from your vacation or do not go. When I first got my first pigs I had to skip out on a very important "party" of the year. If you love guinea pigs for real you will research, wait, or get another type of animal that fits your schedule

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
In chat, Meggie has been saying that she's waiting until she moves out to get pigs. I just hope she follows through.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Good thinking Meg. =) Hope all works out like fourbwabbys is saying :]

Meggie

Cavy Slave
I am waiting until I move out to get my pets. The type of pets that I plan on getting are 2 or 3 guinea pigs, 2 or 1 ferret, and 2 cats. I can provide the stuff that all of my pets will need. I know I can provide for a cat and a ferret because my aunt had cats and a couple of ferrets that she would let me take care of whenever I went over to her house, so I just hope that all of my pets will be able to survive with each other. Maybe I could keep my cats and ferret(s) in one room and put my guinea pigs in a separate room.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
New from today

20:30] angel1098767878577243900457345: okay. my mom and dad are trying to tell me that if I can get my grades up to where they were last quarter, then maybe I could get a guinea pig but if my grades are awful then I don't get nothing
[20:30] landhermitcrab2006: Make sure you can provide for it, first
[20:31] landhermitcrab2006: If you cant even afford Internet, there's no way you can afford a guinea pig
[20:31] angel1098767878577243900457345: why do you say that?
[20:31] landhermitcrab2006: Because I know
[20:33] angel1098767878577243900457345: How exactly do you know?
[20:33] landhermitcrab2006: BECAUSE I DO
[20:33] angel1098767878577243900457345: Okay. No need to yell at me
[20:34] angel1098767878577243900457345: I was just curious is all
[20:35] angel1098767878577243900457345: but I think I can provide the hay, the fruits and veggies, the bedding, the cage (I think), and the water. But everything else seems a bit iffy to me
[20:36] landhermitcrab2006: Vet care?
[20:37] angel1098767878577243900457345: Don't know yet. I may have to get a job in order for the vet care to be taken care of, but my parents claim that I am too young to babysit so how am I suppose to get a job.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Hermie - Is angel109... Meggie? Did the copy/paste mess it up?

If so then Meggie I think we are all getting tired of explaining things over and over to you.

You are not capable or responsible enough at this time to get a pet. You state your parents won't spend a lot, you don't want to make an appropriate cage, you don't understand the importance of a correct and balanced diet and you don't want to have to provide vet care.

Any and ALL animals need vet care. GPs can get sick and exotic vets are pricey. Ferrets need (at least) yearly vet visits for vaccinations and heartworm preventative, They are prone to adrenal disease and cancers. Cats need vaccinations and regular vet care.

There is no way out of it. If you don't want to adopt, provide a proper cage, proper care and vet visits then get a stuffed animal as you will not provide any type of decent care to a live creature that will rely 100% on you for it's health, happiness and wellbeing.

Please don't get an animal that is destined to be neglected.

Last edited:

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
She is angel...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.