Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popsicle sticks

victoriaca83

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if it is safe to use popsicle sticks to make a hidey house. Is it alright if they chew on them? I'd rather use fiddle sticks but I can't find them anywhere. Thanks for any advice.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
hi victoriaca83,

some popsicle sticks actually contain a chemical in them that prevents the popsicle from soaking into the stick. you may want to watch out for these becacuse i can't imagine that they are safe for piggies.

lianne

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Wow, thanks! I had no idea. That's a great piece of info!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Wow, thanks! I had no idea. That's a great piece of info!
yeah! i sure am glad i read this befor building popsicle stick tunnels

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
You could probably buy the ones that come from dollar tree with no popcicle attached that are meant for crafts. But I would be careful.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
yes i must agree with cinn&sprinslave. most popsicle sticks made for crafts SHOULD be okay, but you should check with the company just in case. another thing you could do is buy some untreated wood (in branch form is best) from a lumber store (usually they can sell it in small amounts for cheap) and make a house out of that. might make the guinea pig feel more "at home" in the sence that the house wouldnt be perfect and would be made out of natural wood they could chew on.

im not sure if you guys are able to get wood in branch form, but in hawaii there are a couple places that you can get this. you may even want to try a plant nursery that sells fruit trees or something.

hope this helps, lianne

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
You could probably buy the ones that come from dollar tree with no popcicle attached that are meant for crafts. But I would be careful.
oooh! i think I'll do this!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I have fiddlestick like things on my site www.freewebs.com/diamondcavys they are called snufflesticks. If you don't have time to do all the stuff the other people said on this thread or can't find craft sticks visit my site. They are cheeper then actual fiddlesticks.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.