Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are these good pellets?

juicyjuicee

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No and No. The timothy complete contains a cancer causing preservative and have some rather undesirable ingredients in them.

The APD pellets- well here's the ingredients list with some of the crappy fillers and other bad stuff in bold. I didn't even bold all the bad things.

INGREDIENTS:

Sun cured Timothy Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Rice Bran, Molasses, Dried Beet Pulp, Ground Lima Beans, Ground Wheat, Salt, Monocalcium & Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lignosulphonate, Yeast Culture (Diamond V "XP"), Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Cell Wall Extract, L-Ascorbic Acid Phosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Mold Inhibitor (Propionic Acid, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Methionine, Copper Lysine, Manganese Methionine, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Flavoring, Chromium Picolinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide (carrier for liquid antioxidants), Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydroiodide, Sodium Selenite.

juicyjuicee

Cavy Slave
Thank you.
I bought Oxbow Cavy Cuisine instead.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
That's all I feed my pigs and they just love it. It's definately one of the best pellets out there.

Cavy Ema

Cavy Slave
Thank you.
I bought Oxbow Cavy Cuisine instead.

Is there anywhere I can buy Oxbow pellets in the store or do they only sell them online?

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Yes, Oxbow's home page has a store locater.
(broken link removed)
And a vet locater.
(broken link removed)

Cavy Ema

Cavy Slave
I didn't see that. Thank you. Although I put in my zip and there are still no stores in my area. Online it is for me.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Did you change the distance? Its starts off on 5 miles. So you may need to change it. It is on the right hand side and looks like this "Distance (miles): 5 | 10 | 20 | 50"

Cavy Ema

Cavy Slave
I did. It still gave me nothing. For both stores and vets.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
If you are willing to drive more than 50 miles you can put a zip code in for a town thats farther away.

rshevin

Cavy Slave
I just order my Oxbow online since I'm not willing to support the local petstores that carry it. (broken link removed) is my personal choice but you should shop around for best shipping rates to your area.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
If you have a store in your area that sells supplies but not animals, approach them and ask for them to carry Oxbow. That is what I did. My local store orders it and sometimes when I get there the new order is already gone which is a good sign that others use it as well.

juicyjuicee

Cavy Slave
I bought mine from (broken link removed)
I did end up paying almost $10 for shipping though.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Their vet locator is useless as we have 3 or 4 exotics here in Savannah and it told me they were none! Always check the yellow pages and call around for a vet. Don't go by online listings for that as they may not be up to date.

Glad you got the food situation settled.

rshevin

Cavy Slave
Also, GuineaLynx has a list of vets that members have had personal experiences with. It's worth looking through their list too.

Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian

If all else fails, try the House Rabbit Society at House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide since a good rabbit vet is usually also a good cavy vet (not always, but usually). Personal or rescue group recommendations are the best.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
By the way, I found that there were several places here in my area that carried it which were not listed on the Oxbow locator.

I also agree that most pet SUPPLY stores (not pet-selling) are willing to order it for you. It's very smart of them to do so for many reasons. Especially if no one else in the area carries. If they don't know it, you can let them know that it's the MOST recommended guinea pig food on the internet hands down.

Every cavy forum I've ever found always recommends it. It makes sense for the store to carry it if they want to get the owners who think nothing of making special trips for their pigs.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Their vet locator is useless
The vet locator on Oxbow's web page is only to find vets that sell Oxbow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.