Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Singapore/Malaysia Preparation for new cavies

raymondevil

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking to get 2 cavies; probably female and male. Before that I need to know the availability of several things before I decide to get cavies. Btw, I'm from Malaysia.

1) How much does it cost for Timothy hay and what's the amount of it?

2) Is Makro still having those cubes sold in there?

3) What sorta bedding should I put for cavies? Shaved woods or just plain towel/fleece?

4) I'm living in apartment and opposite swimming pool, so it's kindda moist around there. Will there be any tendency of fungus infection to these cavies?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
First of all do not get a male and female unless you are planning on getting the male neutered right away. The male and female will breed repeatedly and this can cause the death of your female and the babies not to mention there are enough animals in this world that need homes without creating more.

As far as your other questions

You will need to find out what timothy hay and good food costs in your area. Different places in the world charge different amounts. Find out now (before you get any animals) what the best quality foods are and where you can get them.

There are many different types of bedding. The only ones that must be avoided are cedar, aromatic pine, plain newspaper (with nothing covering it) and kitty litters.

Most likely the humidity will not bother the guinea pigs much but the cage may need to be changed more often to keep the bedding from getting moldy.

Last edited:

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking to get 2 cavies; probably female and male. Before that I need to know the availability of several things before I decide to get cavies. Btw, I'm from Malaysia.

1) How much does it cost for Timothy hay and what's the amount of it?

2) Is Makro still having those cubes sold in there?

3) What sorta bedding should I put for cavies? Shaved woods or just plain towel/fleece?

4) I'm living in apartment and opposite swimming pool, so it's kindda moist around there. Will there be any tendency of fungus infection to these cavies?

1) The cheapest I get is 1kg rm16 from petshop. You may try to get a bale but not timothy
2) Few cavy owners feedback to me that they can't find cubes at Makro
3) I am using wood shaving
4) Should be ok if the cage is located indoor

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.