Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Water Bottle Leaks

Every guinea pig water bottle we buy for our 3 guinea pigs, they leak all over the cage. The cage really stinks and is all wet. I'm thinking maybe our guinea pigs play with the water bottle or something. I don't think we would really have a problem with that many water bottles unless they are all made poorly. So it mkust be our pigs. Is there anything I can do to keep the cage dry? Please help!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Water Bottle Leaks

I have a few answers for you. Firstly, have you made sure that there is a gasket between your bottle-top and the actual bottle? This is necessary to prevent leaks and the water bottle should have come with it. Also, if you do have a gasket, it is possible that you are tightening the bottle a little too tight. This happens to me all of the time and my boyfriend gets frustrated and makes me let him do it. It is supposed to be just tight enough that suction begins, but "an extra turn for good measure" is not actually "good measure." Let me know if this helps.

Oh yeah, what brand of water bottle is it? I may be able to provide a link for you to purchase gaskets from a vet supply store (not a pet store).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I'm not sure of the brand. Are there any water bottle that come with like a little bowl to catch water that leaks? I'm guessing probably not. It would be useful though. Could you be a little more thorough on how to close the bottle? Also, could it be that my pigs playing with the bottle?
    Last edited by CLpigs; 12-31-06 at 01:39 pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CLpigs View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand. Are there any water bottle that come with like a little bowl to catch water that leaks? I'm guessing probably not. It would be useful though. Could you be a little more thorough on how to close the bottle? Also, could it be that my pigs playing with the bottle?
    Depending on what kind of cage you have why don't you try using little bird bowls to catch the water? Thats the only thing I can think of.
    My pigs play with the water bottle to let me know its out.
    Maybe they are trying to tell you something?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Make sure the bottle is filled to the brim with water before putting the lid back on in addition to making sure the gasket is there. Not all water bottles have gaskets. I use a brand that either doesn't use them or they are built in. I fill them completely, turn them upside down over the sink and make sure they create a vacuum before putting them back on the cage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    196 Rec'd/124 Posts

There are lots of pigs that love to play with the water bottle just to amuse themselves. They will hold the ball in and let all the water drain out.
    Most all water bottles are going to leak to a small extent....they will drip after pig finishes drinking, until he vacuum is reestablished. That said, your cage shouldn't be totally soaked every day, and it is unlikely that several different bottles would render the same results. It is likely you have a water lovin pig that thinks it is entertaining.

It is unlikely that you can change the pig behavior, and pigs that have been trained to water bottles generally won't take to drinking from a bowl, so your option is to find a way to contain the mess.
    My suggestion would be to find a small rubber maid tub, litter pan or something of the sort....cut an access hole in the side so the pig can get into it, and then place this under your water bottles. Put a puppy pad and fleece or separate bedding in the tub so that it can absorb the water, and can be easily removed and switched out as needed without affecting the rest of your bedding/cage.
    You migh even consider going ahead and doing this with a basket beg enough that you can fit the water bottle, food dish, and hay into that way not only the water is contained, but most of the pee and poop is too, so the rest of your cage lasts longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/20 Posts

My pigs love to play with the water bottle; I had the same problem as you. If nothing else works, you could always put a brick under the bottles to catch the drips. Water gets absorbed into the brick, not into the cage bedding, and there are no bowls for pigs to tip and spill. My pigs like to stand on the bricks to drink anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    108 Rec'd/64 Posts

You may need a new bottle. It has taken me several kinds to find one that I like and that does not excessively leak. I love the colored Oasis 16oz bottles. I have bought seven of those bottles and have had success everytime.

If your bottles are almost empty, many will begin to leak. Filled water bottles keep the vacuum better. Also make sure you tip it all the way over and you will see bubbles rise to the top of the bottle---that means you have created the vacuum.

I use a brick under my bottles as well and it collects the extra water from the inbetween pig drinks and helps keep the cage nice and dry. My pigs, like The Queens' like their "stool" to reach the water.

User Tag List