Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Average size of adult pigs?

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
I'm just wondering the average size of an adult Guinea Pig. My big male weighs 2.5 lbs., he's short and has the cutest little potbelly! I figured he was to his full size. Then we went to the children's zoo and saw the Guinea Pigs there. They seemed like they were twice his size/length! What is the average size of an adult pig? And do the short haired varieties get as big as the Abbys? I have one abby (my big one) and two short haired.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Petunia, a female abby, weighed 2 lbs 6 oz at her last weigh in. I have a Sheba Mini Yak who is about 4-5 months old, she is coming up close on 2 lbs but I also have a Ridgeback who is the same age and she is not even 1 1/2 lbs. I think there is a lot of variation between pigs, just like people. Too soon to say with my little American, she is only a month old and weighs 6 oz. I weigh all my girls once a week.

Here is a picture of my two that are the same age yet you can see the size difference. Keep in mind, Spice (the Sheba) is a lot of fur, she is not pregnant. Since she has swirls on her sides, it makes her look much larger than she is. There is only a 6 oz difference between their weights.

https://members.aol.com/noveil4me/2pigs.jpg

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
My two 1 years old sows are 830g & 740g. My 2 months old sow is 300g.

oreo33

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig is a little pip squeak. She was 300 grams when she was 5 months old and she hasnt grown much. Is this normal because she doesnt look skinny at all. ( in fact she has a really big butt)

Guinea Piggies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Mo weighs 3.65 lbs. and Lazlo weighs 3.45 lbs. I think the size depends on breed, gender, and can vary from pig to pig within both catagories.

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
In my unscientific experience, it seems like the Americans are the smallest of the breeds (they seem even smaller because of the smooth hair, though!). I guess the closer they are in ancestry to the wild cavies, the bigger they are, because the really huge ones I've seen are agouti colored - wild looking piggies! Pet piggies seem to average 2-3 pounds at full growth.
p.s. I was able to tell that my Charlie was still a young adult when I adopted him because he gained a full half pound with me and didn't get any fatter!

Guinea Piggies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Always make sure there is more than enough room for the pig to fit trough. You would'nt want them to get stuck. If you are wondering about PVC pipe I could'nt tell ya. I just use a large chube for floor time. Plus it comes with a free piece of cuddley stuff for the gp.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
Guinea Piggies said:
hey what size holes/spaces can guinea pigs go through when they are about 5 weeks old?adults?
its typically sad that a four inch diameter hole is a good size, for pvc pipes as well. However, if you have a little porker in the pack, then i would go about a half inch bigger.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
Here is a picture of my two that are the same age yet you can see the size difference. Keep in mind, Spice (the Sheba) is a lot of fur, she is not pregnant. Since she has swirls on her sides, it makes her look much larger than she is. There is only a 6 oz difference between their weights.

https://members.aol.com/noveil4me/2pigs.jpg
Whoa! That pig of yours looks HUGE compared to the other one, even though its only, as you said, 6oz difference.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
My two boys are around 2lb 4oz

Denise

Cavy Slave
My girls are 1.6# and 1.8#. I bought them in April and they were very small then. No umbilicals attached.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
CavyCatastrophe said:
Mo weighs 3.65 lbs. and Lazlo weighs 3.45 lbs. I think the size depends on breed, gender, and can vary from pig to pig within both catagories.
Oh, wow! I thought my boys were on the large side. But I do love chubby pigs, they are adorable :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.