Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No Nintendo Wii for me

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
I know many people who are glad to get things like this off of ebay rather than go through the hours and costs of gas to find one themselves. To them it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. Plus, at least on ebay it's equal chance for everyone.

Hubby paid over $600 for his PS2 which was double the retail price. He was happy as he** to get it too. At the time you couldn't find them anywhere, and since he is in the industry it was important to him.

In fact, he received the PS2 the same day as our second date, and has constantly reminded me that it shows how much he wanted to be with me, as he normally would have blown off a date to play his new system.

Of course, at the time I didn't get what a big deal it was....

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I know many people who are glad to get things like this off of ebay rather than go through the hours and costs of gas to find one themselves. To them it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. Plus, at least on ebay it's equal chance for everyone.

However, when like 70% of the people standing in line are people who plan to resell on ebay one tends to think they have a VERY large role in creating the inflation and shortage problem in the first place. Maybe if the ebayers didn't exist your husband would have been able to find a PS2 more easily and not had to pay twice the cost.

To say it's equal chance for everyone is ridiculous. It's favortism for the greedy and the rich.

Last edited:

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
FYI for those who care. My Mom was just at Best Buy and saw people sitting outside waiting in line. Apparently they are giving out tickets for the wii an hour before the store is opening tomorrow, minimum 15 per store.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Yep, everyone around here is getting them tomorrow for sale. As few as 6 to as many as 30 for the local stores. I'm getting up early and trying to finally walk away with one.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Of course, at the time I didn't get what a big deal it was....
I still don't.

It's a GAME. A toy. Something to play with, waste time with, whatever. Perhaps the fact that I'm not a gamer is what makes spending over $300 on a single purpose thing that you then have to spend far more money on games and accessories to be able to use it seem revolting to me. And THEN when the next latest and greatest thing comes along, often the electronic piece of plastic, metal, wires and buttons is pushed aside and then hundreds of dollars are spent all over again. It just seems ludicrous. But if an adult who makes his or her own living and earns a paycheck wants to spend it in such a way, that's certainly his own decision.

The absolutely most horrific thing though, is when parents actually give in to the demands of their children and spend 2-infinite times more than the retail value of these toys to make sure that they get one. And you know a lot of these are the same parents who complain about their kids not doing anything but playing video games and doing poorly in school. Well, if you don't provide them with the equiptment, guess what, they'll have to find something else to do. Or even, GASP, make rules for your kids.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Amen to that PM.
I am sure one day you will be the "mean" mom like me who only gives the kids very limited interent access to play games (and most of them educational at that) once room cleaning and homework is finished. I don't know call me old fashioned or whatever but I would much rather spend my time with my kids playing outside, or doing things like cooking or crafts or playing board games, than sitting them in front of a tv screen to either watch or play games.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I'm with BabyGrl and Percy's Mom. My children have a quota of "electronic time" per week. They can use it on TV or the computer (for leisure, they can use the computer for homework when it's absolutely necessary) or my son con use it on his handheld game console (that he had to save and buy himself) but they always have to ask first. But when the week's quota is gone, then it's gone. They have grown up knowing to always ask before they turn the TV on and it's never been an issue at all.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I tried and got up really early today and every place I went, it was the person in front of me or two people ahead of me to get a Wii. I'll look during my days off this week but other wise it looks like it won't be until after hte 8th before I finally have one. I already have three games and two extra controllers but no system.

Lyah21

Cavy Slave
Nintendo is recalling some of the Wii's. Apparantly pieces come flying off of them.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
They are giving in an giving new straps for the Wii remote. Not recalling. The straps are sent to you when you go online. It's just because people are stupid as far as I'm concerned. People are getting hurt because using the Wii means you have to get up and move, not sit like a log on a fire.

Nintendo is the reason there is a shortage of what people want, not the ebayers. They made a killer gaming system that everyone wants, and they made 4 million but are only releasing them a tiny bit at a time, to build up momentum for the system. I don't support the philosophy but it's common. If someone wants the system and doesn't want to pay double, they just have to wait a little longer is all. Eventually, there will be plenty of them for anyone who wants one.

And as far as the prices doubling... 99% of those systems are not sold for kids. Most are bought by adults for adult use. The truth is the gaming systems today are complete systems and do a lot more than play games. With Xbox and Sony systems you do things like download movies and tv shows and playing DVD's to CD's. The Wii just plays games, but games for this system are going to be so different. Because of the development of the "Wii Remote" "Wiimote" games are now going to be lifelike. For example, you don't just sit around and push buttons. You actually play tennis, bowl and fence. This will eventually mean there are going to be fitness games that will be able tell you if your form is acurate ..like in golf for example. There will be games that can count how many jumping jacks you did, and how well you did them. Game developers will come up with stuff that is going to be limitless on this new system.

The Wii is finally a system that even NON gaming people will own. As a former NON gaming person. (I never played a game until I was 39) I predict it's going to be even more popular as more people experience it. It can become a personal trainer, a sports training system etc. As game developers think of uses for the system it will become even more advanced.

In fact, even the first games developed for the Wii are amazing. I've never been so active in my entire life! Every night my hubby and I go bowling and play a round of tennis with the new system. These first games are very simple, but it is just the beginning. The Wii is so sensitive that it even knows the angle that I've held my ball, and how hard I throw it... and I really do have to throw that ball. Which means I have to stand up, and I have to use good form, or the ball will go in the gutter. It's the same with tennis, it knows the angle of your racket etc.. It's absolutely mind-blowing.

I do agree wholeheartedly with this:
The absolutely most horrific thing though, is when parents actually give in to the demands of their children and spend 2-infinite times more than the retail value of these toys to make sure that they get one. And you know a lot of these are the same parents who complain about their kids not doing anything but playing video games and doing poorly in school. Well, if you don't provide them with the equiptment, guess what, they'll have to find something else to do. Or even, GASP, make rules for your kids.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

These kids, however, aren't the ones breaking into your car to steal your radio, or spray painting your back fence because they have nothing else to do. The other thing is that these parents are also happy that they know where their kids are. Kids obsessed with video games often grow to be in the industry and it's a huge industry, with a great lifestyle. They are also good kids as rule. Spoiled? Probably. However, my husband is one of those kids who played too much Atari, as are his friends and co-workers. They are the greatest, most grown-up men I've known. They are thoughtful and caring husbands and brothers. They are smart men who all make good money at what they do. Some of them are late bloomers, but most are smart, highly educated and work hard at their jobs because they have a passion for it. I wish I could find something that I would be passionate about.

I was surprised at what "good people" grown-up gamers are. They have a wise view of life, and understand that what is cool is being true to yourself, and not wearing $200 tennis shoes or starving yourself to look like Paris Hilton. They understand that being smart is also something that is relative as well. They seem to have great self-esteem, and they make their own style rather than bow to corporate advertising.

The people who get into gaming and never grow up are the ones who are stoned all the time. Those are some sad folks, and I know quite a few of them. It's not the games, it's the drugs though. It's a sub-culture of a sort. They all seem to hang out together. They get stoned and sit around and play video games while their life passes them by. However, at least they are doing something rather than hanging out in the park like in the 60's. My childhood was devoid of parks because of all the stoned teenagers that took over our parks.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I actually can't play the wii much the day before and a few days after my martial arts class. My arm and shoulder get too tired. lol I end up unable to lift my right arm. I don't think the technology is nearly advanced enough to correct your form on anything since it mostly just goes by direction of motion and not how your holding the wiimote or moving. Such as for bowling you actually do better if you hold the wiimote in both hands in front of you and swing it straight out and up instead of besides you and throwing it like a bowling ball. With a few tweaks it could be great for creating interactive excercise videos and interactive learning videos for kids but it's still a long way from knowing every move you make. It's just not detailed enough for such things. Wouldn't it be cool though to actually learn swordsmanship from zelda instead of randomly swinging the controller back and forth to make the sword move. I'm working towards being allowed in the shinkendo class(japanese sword training) but am required to do more weaponless training first.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Wouldn't it be cool though to actually learn swordsmanship from zelda instead of randomly swinging the controller back and forth to make the sword move.

Hang in there. The next Zelda is supposed to be designed specifically for the Wii. The one we have was originally a GameCube game so they just didn't use all the bells and whistles on the Wii so they could release along with the Wii.

My understanding is that the new Zelda is going to be something amazing when it comes to swordplay.

Right now I'm stuck in Hyrule Castle. I can't figure out how to make it past the ghosts pointing at the picture. I wonder if I'm missing a piece of equipment?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I just don't think the wii is sensitive enough for that. Playing trauma center I found lots of issues with the controls. Pulling out those stupid pins in the bomb requires an amazing amount of patience and no matter how carefully you do it they always slip. It requires more sensors if they are actually going to teach you how to move or even just require more specific movements than swinging the controller whatever direction you feel like to make a sword slash right to left.

I got distracted. I'm just finishing the water temple. :p Plus with the current bad weather I probably won't get to play at all for the next week or 2 because the horses will need extra care. Like I said it will probably be next fall before I find enough time to finish it. Reason I don't buy games myself but just play everyone else's. lol

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I got a smack in the face today. Everywhere I went today had PS3 at least seven a store. They were sold out by nightfall of course but still. Tomorrow is my last try after that it's going to be after New Year's before I have a Wii.

amptondooz

Cavy Slave
Yay! I got a Wii! I'm sorry to anyone who wanted one and couldn't get one though.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Well, after the 28th they are supposed to be showing up here and there. So, maybe before New Year's but hopefully before the 16th when I get Wii Ware.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I finally have it. I got it yesterday and I love it.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I hope they come out with some sort of arm and leg sensors and some sort of yoga game to go with it. I want to learn proper yoga but I don't like classes since I can't go at my own, somewhat slower pace. And when it comes to exercise I'm not what you would call graceful. I'd like something to correct my posture but in my own home.

I might want to actually find a Wii first though. I'm not even going to try in Toronto. I might have better luck when I go back home later in the month. The Zeller's my MIL worked at had one sit there for like 2 hours the day they came out. That's insane.

Trega

Cavy Slave
What happened to Mortal Combat, Sonic the Hedghog, or even Tetris?

You want a game that is good exercise? Play Dance Dance Revolution. I love that game!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I do have DDR and love it but it doesn't help one to stretch much. You need to do several types of exercises to keep in shape, not just one. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.